Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..
  • 2hottie
    Free Member

As the title says really. I need some pointing work done and I'm looking for some recommendations for who to do the work.

Cheers

Scott

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any small builder should be able to do it -its not hard just mind numbingly boring!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above you could probably do it your self just as well I dont know any that are that desperate for work they would do it sorry

robidoo
    Free Member

I am going to have a go at re-pointing my house next week, never done it before so wish me luck.

A builder mate said it would be about £50 per sq m.

I am too tight to pay that, without having a go first

robidoo
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member
    Any small builder should be able to do it -its not hard just mind numbingly boring!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hightest comment 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been there done that. Mind numbing doesn't even begin to cover it. Filthy work clearing out the old cement (especially if you speed up the process using a grinder) and the pointing itself is just tedious.

Not difficult at all though!

If you get a *small* builder in, make sure he brings a stepladder with him…

steveh

I know a builder in the area, not sure if it's a big enough job for him (will depend how busy he is) but his works great if he's got the time. I've not got his number handy though.

Period Brickwork leyland – Andy

jonahtonto
    Free Member

if your having a go yourself here are some tips;
    *the mix should be wet enough to form a ball in your hand, but dry enough to leave little/no reside on your glove when you form it.
    *wet the joints thoroughly, and top up with a sprayer as you go
    *once its gone off enough not to run, spray gently with a hose twice/thrice a day for 2 days (longer for lime mortar)
    *tools are a plasterers hawk and a 'small tool' (it can be a bit embarrassing asking the builders merchant if he has a small tool)
    *get the hawk flush with the joint (to avoid waste) and push mortar in with small tool
    *press the mix in HARD
    *do long lines of beds and then come back for the perps (upright bits)
    *dont try and make it too pretty at first you can come back after about 3 hrs and cut off excess to make it look nice

i would also include some kind of mind numbing drugs such as beer or dope as it is the most tedious of jobs

Cougar

Stick a tender up on http://www.mybuilder.com/ perhaps?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..’ is closed to new replies.