Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does anyone know anyone who could do this?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Looking for something like this as a gift but not as expensive

Spa-Francorchamps

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The fella on here that did the 3D map of the Malvern hills should be able to do that sort of thing too. Got to be worth a quick chat. link

DickBarton

Any more news on StevieD’s work? I’d be keen on finding out how much something would cost as that looks a brilliant idea.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t think I’d be very impressed by the one linked in the OP – everybody knows Spa isn’t flat.

unovolo
    Free Member

The first one looks like someone’s traced around a glue gun.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I know eau rouge is monstrous, dip down and then up.

Topographic one would be cool

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Try the link I posted.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I could do it in acrylic on the laser at work.
    max size would be 900mm x 600mm x 10mm thick.
    Could back it up with coloured vinyl

3dracetracks
    Free Member

Hello, I’m guy runs 3D-Racetracks that eddiebaby linked to earlier. I noticed a bump in traffic coming from this site and thought I’d say Hi and try to answer any questions that anyone might have.

I actually started making my 3D printed track models because I thought the Linear Edge ones, though pretty nice looking, were way out of my price range. I’m a MotoGP fan and started my track making with all the tracks on the calendar. I got sort of bored with the simple outline track models and started to make the topographic ones that show the various elevation changes. My Nürburgring model is even fully licensed by the Ring. I’m also talking to a few other tracks about getting licensed with them as well.

I’ve made a lot of these tracks, even made a few for some avid cyclists using strava data. I can also use USGS terrain data to generate pretty accurate models from satellite imagery. Here’s a link to Pike Peak. That was one of my first experiments using that sort of data so the actual course ins’t shown, but I’m pretty confident I could add the actual course location now as well.

I’ll be honest and say that when you get big in 3D printing, the price skyrockets. I try to keep a iphone to ipad size footprint. Anything bigger than that and you’re talking hundred and into thousands of dollars. But stuff you can hold in your hand can range from 20 to 100 USD. Depending on material. Most of my stuff is in full color sandstone, which is a very economical material. But I have experience getting prints done in ceramic, steel, gold, silver, nylon, etc.

What’s nice about 3D printing is that you can pretty easily customize designs – color, size, add a special note – pretty easily, with a few caveats. 3D printers have resolutions just like normal printers, you can only go so small. They also have print beds that can only get so big. Within reason, you can do a lot of cool stuff though.

For example, I just finished doing a model of Phillip Island that has labels on it in braille. It was made as a Christmas present for a sight impaired guy who happens to be a motorcycle enthusiast. Not only is the model topographic, but he’ll be able to read the track as well. And it’s going all the way to Australia which is pretty cool.

Anyway, I don’t know what kind of track map you were looking for but I’d be happy to try to help. Fel free to contact me here of through my website.

Jeremy

maccruiskeen

I’m going to be doing a big batch of cnc plasma cutting in 4mm corten steel in a few weeks. The the OP can source of provide the artwork he wants I can see if it fits into a off cut (theres going to be a lot of irregularly shaped offcuts!)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know anyone who could do this?’ is closed to new replies.