Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Does anyone just ride a bike cross country anymore?
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

No I don’t want to waste my time looking for good terrain to ride when I can go to a centre and ride/push up then bomb down and repeat until I’m tired.
    If I had an e-mtb I would probably go out exploring more, but my main bikes don’t really lend themselves to this sort of riding.

cookeaa

Like dibbs, I mostly break out the Bridalslayer these days to go for the same kind of rides I have done for the last ~25 years.

Unplanned, mostly offroad, just pick a direction and go, often on my own; bridleways, NCN, cheeky singletrack, bit of road…

It’s not particularly riveting stuff for anyone else, so I don’t tend to give blow by blow accounts on here or anywhere else online about my rides, and I doubt many others who do the same sort of stuff would bother either.

I have dabbled with various other forms of bike riding, and continue to do so, it’s all part of the rich tapestry of cycling…

Obviously as a millennial OP you are probably used to seeing the popularity of the things you like reflected in website traffic and Facebook posts, it’s not always the case though, lots of people ride bikes and seldom bother to tell anyone else about it online or off…

It doesn’t mean MTBing is dying, perhaps the opposite and that the way people recently used the Web to report every minor detail of their existence is dropping off, people are roo busy having lives to report on the fact that they have a life.

So No more breakfast photos, “social self marketing” posts about going to the pub with your mates or telling the world about your last trundle round rural Surrey… Sounds quite good TBH.

scotroutes

cookeaa – you forgot to mention GoPro, surely a major influence in the perception of what mountain biking is these days. Having sold the world a lifestyle dressed up as a piece of consumer electronics, YouTube is now full of ordinary riders trying to carry off steezy moves for their latest sick edit.

FWIW, I quite liked that Cannock vlog that was posted recently. Something I felt more reflected reality for most riders.

I ride the same trails (plus new ones obviously) now that I was riding 20+ years ago on a rigid steel bike. Now, I generally ride everything on a 170/160mm carbon bike. It’s a better bike all round, has climb switches fron and back, plus it gets used on much gnarlier stuff too. It’s just bike riding to me though…

muckytee
    Free Member

cookeaa – I’d agree with that, I expect people to post their riding online, people post what sandwich they are having for lunch so I’d definitely expect a bike ride. I don’t post because I can’t be arsed and who cares anyway… Glad to hear others have the same attitude.

I’ve just bought a new helmet one of it’s features is a go pro mount – sick! Let’s be realistic I’m not Sam Hill.

I was on a training course and mentioned I do mountain biking the course tutor goes on to tell me about various trail centres and how good they are.

At the railway station with my bike buying a ticket and the bloke at the ticket desk tells me he’s just got into mtb and asks what trail centre I’m going to, I was going to Marsden to ride up to Black hill…

This and few other things I started to worry that I wasn’t gnarpooning my sled

philxx1975
    Free Member

Next year Audi release their “get me to a trail centre now” App it is supported by ads from Santa Cruz and orange

Garmin will also release their “fat middle aged bloke down scramble the air ambulance app” to make it less effort to be recued

We don’t really do all Mountain because we don’t have any mountains, one of those we all got banned from only the ramblers got us to agree to their terms so it doesn’t actually look like a ban.

The rest of us mere mortals who are poor just plod around going across Moor and woodland as we always have

kayak23

I’m an enduroist and I go enduroing on my 160mm gnarpoon enduroist rig. Even when I’m enduroing a nice Sunday enduro loop in the flat local endoroist’s countryside with my OS enduro map I’m enduroing it to the max.
    What’s your beef brah?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes of course. I am addicted to maps, dreaming / planning routes. I did two xc rides wih a lot of road a few weeks ago on my enduro/am bike as thats the bike I had with me and the terrain available.

Posting about xc rides isn’t that excited and there isn’t much media / marketing benefit in showing people riding along a flat bit or going uphill

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’ve been away from biking you might have missed that enduro got popular because it reflects how people like to ride the amazing modern bikes we have now.

There’s been a lot of marketing around it, but it was a genuinely grassroots thing.

I think more people than ever are now getting a map and heading into the hills on their bikes, it’s cooler than riding trail centres anyway.

antigee

No I’m not old either I’m 22

mid fifties and I do – are you sure somebody hasn’t lied to you about how birthdays work to save money?

sirromj

xc rides isn’t that excited and there isn’t much media / marketing benefit in showing people riding along a flat bit or going uphill

But Shirly, you’ve got to come down some day from up there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you’ve been away from biking you might have missed that enduro got popular because it reflects how people like to ride the amazing modern bikes we have now.

Enduro does just about nail exactly what I’ve been doing on bikes for the last 10-12 years it’s just taken the bike industry a while to catch up….

cookeaa

cookeaa – you forgot to mention GoPro, surely a major influence in the perception of what mountain biking is these days. Having sold the world a lifestyle dressed up as a piece of consumer electronics, YouTube is now full of ordinary riders trying to carry off steezy moves for their latest sick edit.

For my sins I own a helmet camera and have indeed recorded unimpressive trailcentre bimbling…

The Key word is of course ‘edit’ for every 100 hours of riding most mortals do there’s probably less than a minute worth reliving, let alone sharing with YouTube trolls. So what you see online is the “best bits” of those that can be arsed to record their riding, maybe 0.1% of the riding that’s recorded, which in turn is probably 0.001% of all the MTBing being done, it’s a skewed, unrepresentative sample of a much bigger picture.

As for people’s unsolicited tails of gnarr and trailcentre adventures, it’s not unheard of for people to at least try these places, the comics promote them, they’re easy to find and slot in with a busy life, it’s general common ground for lots of people who own MTB.

I find when I get talking “cycling” in general with most people, 90% have something different in mind to what I am into, it’s no biggy, they’re just “Normals”…

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Living this side of the Chilterns I’ve Woburn on my doorstep with varying levels of trail difficulty, plus 15miles to Aston Hill, 15 to Dunstable Downs and Ashridge Park. If I go out and do a 70 km ride through Woburn to Dunstable and back I’d class that as XC as I’ve done more bridle way than gnarly trails. According to the missus I just went out for a ride on a bike.

Isn’t the categories based on competitions and its marketing down to us mortals?

roverpig

I have some sympathy with the OP. When I started riding off road (in the 80s) it was just about exploring. Then a series of ever more capable bikes meant that it became more about challenging myself to ride ever more technical descents as fast as possible, leading to a few trips to A&E and increasingly longer spells off the bike, as I got older and took longer to heal.

Then this year I got a fat bike. Originally just to use in the winter but it’s also helped me rediscover the joy of just exploring. Something about the go-anywhere tyres encourages me to check out those trails that I’ve looked at in the past and thought “I wonder where that goes”. The answer is usually nowhere of course. Yesterday’s ride culminated in a hike across a bog and then up the side of a mountain, through waist deep heather with the bike on my shoulders and my own personal swarm of flies for company. Still a great day out though 🙂

NormalMan

For me (another who started in the 80’s) I just ride offroad. Sometimes it simply towpath stuff, other times proper mountains but it’s just about being offroad for me.
    Again sometimes on my 29er ht and others on my fatbike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-3.58154/55.23529/blue/bike
    and if you take a look at your local area you will be able to see how the local “XC” trails are being ridden

milky1980
    Free Member

I go exploring all the time, that’s never about segments or gnar etc. Just enjoying being out on the bike.

Despite having grown up in the Beacons, ridden in the FOD since the late 90’s and always been inquisitive about where paths lead I’m still finding new stuff in these places and new ways of linking them up. I also do the trail centres regularly and enjoy a few uplift days though the year but I generally do whatever I feel like doing at the time. Sometimes I’ll do a bit of exploring and a trail centre in the same ride, FOD is my current ‘Quick lap of the red/blue then go a-wandering’ place. Love the way some trails disappear in the summer growth only to be revealed in the winter and others do the opposite. Even found the remains of one of the old DH tracks I used to ride a few weeks ago, purely by getting lost!

oxbow
    Free Member

South Pennines here; loads of XC, all-year round and always more to find (even after 15 years trying).

Like many who’ve responded I guess it’s not visible on social media – but plenty of folk out (though many fewer in the winter).

Bike improvements have helped of course, but you don’t need the latest gear. (I’d like transmission that isn’t worn down by liquid sandstone tho). And I’ve not seen a fatbike round here yet.

In short, whatever you ride is fine, so much choice now is great. I started long, long ago on heavy steel frame road bike, side-pull brakes, cottered chain set and 5 gears riding around the streets of London. Could not get enough of it, and still can’t.

flaps
    Free Member

I live right on the Trans Pennine Trail, that’s an off road route from Southport to Hornsea. I like dropping onto that but I do a bit of general Google Earth research beforehand too. I enjoy being able to just get on my HT, and go exploring off road. I went up to Winscar Reservoir the other week, ended up being a 52 miler. I do also enjoy the odd trail centre though to be fair and thought Pines was a lot better the other week than I remember it being.

jameso

About enduro and XC, enduro seems like what mtb was in the late 80s and early 90s before XC race was a focus. It’s new as a race event but not as a way of riding, all that’s changed there is that bikes got more capable and it got re-branded.
    If you put less importance on what you call it, I expect most riders are still riding XC in some way.

dragon
    Free Member

XC bike still here and XC routes ridden.

Enduro is just for fatties who can’t ride up hill. Otherwise it’s just XC.

In most other European countries and the US XC is still huge and even wearing baggies is fairly rare.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Loving the work dragon, you hear all week?

vickypea
    Free Member

Of course! I’ve just come back from a great solo XC ride, you should have joined me 🙂

muckytee
    Free Member

vickypea – that is something I should do, go riding/exploring with other real people

core

mikewsmith – Member 

Loving the work dragon, you hear all week?

No, he puts his fingers in his ears Tuesday to Thursday.

Northwind

Aye, often. TBH, it’s just not as good as the more technical riding I prefer, but it’s still good. Bottle cages, jumpers for goalposts… Getting the fatbike’s brought back a lot of the pleasure too as it opens up different sorts of fannying about. Good simple unchallenging fun, it has its place.

But if it was a choice between XC rides or bashing out world class descents at the golfy or thornie or somewhere and then winching back up and doing it again, then XC can piss off. But why would you limit yourself to only one thing?

senorj

I do . Lovely cross country powderpuff bimblecore for me.
    On a mtb or cx.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

XC is the same as ‘trail’ isn’t it?

olddog

Me and all my mates do lots of “XC”. I hadn’t realised it had become unfashionable until I needed to replace my 29 HT xc bike. Basically very little choice between low-end and £5k race rigs.

I have an enduro bike as well, and do go to the odd trail centre,but sometimes on my ht, to be honest it would need to be pretty serious before I’d bother getting the enduro out.

As someone else who started in the late 1980s, it’s all just mtbing to me and everything else is just marketing bs

MoreCashThanDash

Lovely cross country powderpuff bimblecore for me.

Sounds like my off road riding! More of us about than I realised.

DickBarton

Me…same riding I’ve always done. Marketing teams have decided to give it all names so they can sell more stuff.

dovebiker

The bike companies have to take a lot of the blame – prospective MTB buyer walks into shop and is confronted by a bewildering array of kit, most of it completely OTT for what most MTBs get used for. They get talked into buying a 35lb full-susser lump when a hardtail would do the job (but they’re not ‘cool’) Ironically, sales of gravel and adventure bikes are booming because they’re probably better suited to the majority of XC riding.

muckytee
    Free Member

Adventure bike?

vickypea
    Free Member

My HTs are cool 😛

I have no idea what gravel bikes and adventure bikes are (cyclocross bikes with racks for panniers?)

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I just like getting out on the bike & exploring,I don’t think they’ve found a marketing niche for that type of stuff.
    Most of my ‘Off Roading’ is around Rivi with 100mmm of travel,same trails as I’ve been riding since the 90’s.
    I’m on a weeks holiday this week so I’ll go for a couple of days at trail centres.Llandeglla & Antur Stiniog,but I’ve not been to Degla for a couple of years & I’ve only once before been to Stini.
    Last years holiday was a week in Les Arcs but next time I’m in that part of the world I want to do some of those WWI Italian military roads.
    Not very Rad or Gnar,just enjoying exploring places on the map..

dovebiker

Salsa Cuthroat is one example, but WTF with the suspension corrected fork – gimme a rigid fork of the right length and geo, not some MTB hatchet job!

XC ride, 170mm bike, cos it’s a great all-rounder. Full face because I broke my face on the same ride 10 weeks ago.

Riding evolves, bikes evolve, kit evolves – it’s still riding cross country though…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LowkL4]2016-08-21_06-08-36[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

Along with most of the respondents on here, non trail centre riding is basically all I do. I went to the Forest of Dean last weekend, the first time I’ve been to a trail centre for a year, could be another year before I go to another TC.

We were talking about trail centres today, occasioned by a chat with someone who’d nipped round the North Face in Grizedale Forest, they’ve evolved along with MTBs. TNF was suited to the bikes of the time but is now more suitable for an XC race, things have moved on. (He was on an HT as it happens – if you are called Andy, were on a Bfe and are on here it was us you were talking to by the shop)

Trail centres are to biking as climbing walls are to climbing: going to the Lakes and going the climbing wall is missing the point!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

All the time, 90%+ of the riding I do. Incidentally outside of marathon xc endure is the most “going for a bike ridest” format of competitive mtb going really

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone just ride a bike cross country anymore?’ is closed to new replies.