Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does anyone here use Strucad?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I've been asked to do a favour for a friend. Some relatively simple stuff in 3D.

I'm an AutoCAD 2009 user and was hoping I would be able to simply use this to do it for him, the files he'll be sending are Strucad dxf files. Will I be able to help him out?

Thanks

Zedsdead
    Free Member

anyone?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

bump

PaulWoodward
    Free Member

Hi Zedsdead,
    Dont worry you will be able to open the stucad DXF files in AutoCAD. They should still be in 3D, only thing is if you put them back into StruCAD they will no longer be solids just wire frame. (Your StruCAD friend should know what this means)
    Hope this helps,
    Paul.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks Paul. Do you have experience of working in 3D?

It's a long time since I've done any and I'm looking for some pointers/advice on how to go about it using AutoCAD…

Cheers

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to use StruCAD files all teh time.

it mainly depends on what you want to do with them. search google for a strucad viewer and ask for the proper file, not just the dxf one. that will let you see the whole lot in 3D properly but wont let you edit it. if they have sent you the dxf it may (or may not) have been converted to 2D

as for 3D cad, again it kinda depends on what sector you are in. obviously if you are in structural steelwork then strucad might be the way to go.

i currently use Solid Edge and google sketchup, Solid Works is a very popular one and then you have autocad inventor and pro engineer (proE). they all work in pretty much the same way.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

The files I've been given are of the Structural steel work, I'll be working with building services.

It's been a fair while since I've done any 3D stuff but I'm sure I have a book somewhere….. Just need to get my head around it all again…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here use Strucad?’ is closed to new replies.