Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does anyone here use a bike most of hte time
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

you know, in favour of a car where possible? Just sold my car (still got the wife’s) but for me I have virtually no transport and i’m too free a spirit to want to use pubic (not a mis-spelling) transport

What do you ride and what are the practicalities?

mamadirt
    Free Member

All the time, as I don’t drive. Commute is only about 3 miles though (or a bit further if I take the scenic route through the woods 😀 )

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Me. If I feel like crap or the weather’s too horrid I’ll take the bus(es). In theory, I should be leaner and fitter but the plan seems not to have worked.

ton

every single day…..

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve never driven a car anywhere. Dont see why anyone would ever want to..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me – I don’t own a car. Bicycle it is for me as my main means of transport with buses and trains as required.

Its an old MTB that I use as a commuter / town bike. Up to 7 miles is no effort. over that it can get to be a drag.

Rucksack and / or panniers for shopping. walk to the supermarket for big shop or have it delivered by online shopping.

A bicycle is quicker around the city than a car by far. Get a decent lock – spend £100+ on it if you want to keep your bike and no QR on the seat. Mine gets locked up outside city centre pubs. Its totally liberating not to be stuck in traffic in a tin box.

jonb
    Free Member

I do anything rather than take the car.

Walk to the supermarket (about 10 minutes away). Cycle to work, cycle into town.

I’ve actually found it to be more convenient and quicker over short distances. You’ve got a garanteed journey time as the traffic isn’t a problem. No trouble or expense parking as long as you’ve got a hack bike.

The times when I do need to get driven (really bad weather, late at night after drinking) I get a Taxi. Works out cheaper than a car in the long run.

Share a car with my GF.

adstick
    Free Member

yup, me too. It’s the only way to get about in a town. I have a cheap, single geared, 700c road bike. Paradoxically most of the times I use the car it’s to go mountain biking…

Practicalities for me are – full mudguards and a big courier bag with lock, pump, tube and basic tools. It’s faster, more fun and much better for you than a tin box.

AndyP
    Free Member

aye, all the time. My wife drives for work/getting the kids to and from nursery but I commute, get all the shopping by bike etc.

odannyboy
    Free Member

we have a “family” car but i rarely drive it as wife claims it all the time.when shes out and i have kids i bus into town with them if its cold or put them in a trailer and tow them, or go shopping etc.amazing what you can get in a kiddy tralier if you have no choice..complete second bike, glass fish tank, car tyres etc etc.
    of coarse when i take car out missus stays at home with kids and doesnt go out cos its,rainy,cold,tired,to far,etc etc etc….

charliedontsurf

I have a KTM 950sm motorbike, a £200 mondeo, and a quiver of bikes… including a surly big dummy. The car only gets used when I need to haul surfboards or family, and go a long distance… its the last resort.

I reckon it may be cheaper to hire a car for those special journeys, than own one 365 days a year.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As for the cost – a car will cost you around £2000 a year at a minimum. That pays for a lot of hire cars and taxis. Its just when you get a taxi or hire car you notice the money being spent.

Is there a city car club around where you are? Another good option

Keva
    Free Member

seven days a week on a bike all year round. To work, supermarket, friends, pubs, family.

Kev

woffle
    Free Member

See the commuter thread for my main mode of transport. We sold my car end of July 2008 so went to one car for my wife to cart the kids and gave me no choice but to get on my bike to get about / to the station to get to work (hence it being a folding bike for the trains). Best thing I ever did..

I’ve spent a lot more time on the bike and on trains but there have been no real issues aside from the fact I can’t be lazy and get in the car. Much fitter than I was a year ago, less stressed than I was and considerably better off in the wallet. Aside from the large weekly shop and playing family taxi there’s nothing I can’t do by foot / bike / train that I did by car.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Bikes all the way. Too poor to afford a car and theonly reason I’d want one is to get the bikes to good riding locations!
    Currently getting around on a 97 Explosif (with a good covering of electrical tape to make it look rubbish) with just the one gear. It did have full mudguards and a pannier rack but it’s stripped down at the moment as I’m builiding a pompino to take its place. The kona is so much fun with no guards and rack! I’m sure I couldn’t have as much fun in a car on the way to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here use a bike most of hte time’ is closed to new replies.