Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Does anyone here actually believe in marriage?
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Just wondering really. Seems to regularly be a good deal of anti-marriage sentiment and was wondering if it was the norm now, or just an outspoken minority?

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve seen it -it’s definitely real, so yes I believe in marriage!

higthepig
    Free Member

Nah, not today, my missus is so lazy she can’t even empty the recycle bin on the computer. Time for a divorce methinks 🙂

downshift

20th anniversary last week, known each other 7 years on top of that so yes, working out ok so far.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’m recently married. I believe in marriage.
    Those who are against something are always more outspoken and whiny than those who are pro something, that’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

Completely normal. There is (normal) life outside of STW

RichPenny
    Free Member

My wife does 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Absolutely.

ton

25 yrs here…………so i reckon i do. 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

11 years of happy marriage here.

tron
    Free Member

Yep. I reckon you’d have to be slightly naive to buy a house with someone you weren’t married to. In the eyes of the law it’s a business arrangement, and fair or right doesn’t come into it.

chickenman

17 years and still digging it!

cinnamon_girl

I did. But my views have changed, like I have done as a person.

So … yes marriage can work, perhaps for a time, and sometimes it can’t.

Hmmm, not sure if that makes sense.

akira

Happily married for five years.
    Its not for some people I guess but it works for me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

17 years here too I think. I wouldn’t set up a business partnership without a legal basis either.

tyger
    Free Member

27 years but it’s not always easy and things are rough now if I’m honest – but it’s great for raising children

midlifecrashes

27 years here too, three kids and numerous mortgages. Not married though.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Married for 4 months now, we were together for 4years – including living together for 2 1/2 years.

I am quite a bit older than wifey, and was ready to settle down – enjoying married life so far!!

emma82
    Free Member

10 weeks in and it’s not too painful but I’m not sure what there is to ‘believe’ in marriage, I believe that I am married as opposed to being not married. That said, before I decided I actually did want to be married I was very much of the ‘FFS no way, why would I want to get bloody married’ when asked about it. People change. It’s neither wrong nor right to want to be married or not be married and at the end of the day it’s actually no one elses business if you want to do it.

SaxonRider

18 years worth, and a child or three. Yes, I ‘believe’ in marriage.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Marriage (or a version of it) and thinking incest is a bad idea are pretty much the only universal societal norms from an anthropological viewpoint. So lots of people clearly believe in it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

20th anniversary last week, known each other 7 years on top of that so yes, working out ok so far.

+1

Actually two weeks ago. Blimey did it take you 7 years as well?!?

maxray
    Free Member

I’ve just checked with the wife and apparently, yes I do 🙂

chickenman

I know blokes arn’t supposed to think like this, but I like the idea of commitment, plus I want my friends and family to know I’m commited.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do, but not rigidly. A personal thing innit?

BigJohn

Beginners, the lot of you.

36 years here and pretty much as hoped for at the outset. No complaints on any front.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sbqv3MwwVd8#t=4s[/video]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just wondering really. Seems to regularly be a good deal of anti-marriage sentiment and was wondering if it was the norm now, or just an outspoken minority?

Please god don’t tell me you’re going to flounce off because of the marriage-ist community on here 🙂 😉

I am one of the unmarried and “don’t see the point” camp. But I do see the point, sort of. Emotionally I see it as a nice thing but as soon as I (and I often do) break it down into logical reasoning I just come back to the same answer – makes no sense, costs a fortune and isn’t necessary.

DickBarton

I do…

soops
    Free Member

12 years for me in a week.

MSP

I have no problem with people making a legal commitment to each other, but the legal rights given to married couples, in a wider sense, are just plain stupid and discriminatory. At the extreme shown by the treatment of unmarried families of servicemen killed in action.

thv3
    Free Member

Nonbeliever here, 13 years with the same girl(since I was 18 😯 ), but holds no appeal to us.

Each to their own though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

In all seriousness, the only people that need to ‘believe’ in marriage are the two people entering into it.

I did and I do, but then I am an old fashioned sort of fellow.

geetee1972
    Free Member

but the legal rights given to married couples, in a wider sense, are just plain stupid and discriminatory.

They can’t be discriminatory as they are available to everyone and anyone.

Anyone can choose to have the legal protection or they can choose not to. There’s no discrimination.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Going through divorce following separating from my wife after 11 years of marriage,last year so currently not believing in it.
    I did used to though…… 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

definitely…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89iKsKw19M[/video]

MSP

Anyone can choose to have the legal protection or they can choose not to.

Well I can’t choose the same legal protection without getting married, so its discriminating against the unmarried.

GrahamS

5 year in, after 12 years of seeing each other before that.

Don’t really understand anyone’s objection to it to be honest, but hey ho.
    My sister is about to have her first baby and is dead against marriage for some reason.

Takes all sorts.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not.. it seems like a lot of formality and stress and nonsense around what is essentially a very pure and beautiful thing.. not my cup of tea at all..

my other half’s a great believer.. as are her customers thankfully (she makes wedding cakes)..

her ex-husband maybe not so much though..

AdamW
    Free Member

Depends what you mean as ‘marriage’. To me that means a religious ceremony and men around wearing frocks.

Mine, being a civil partnership didn’t have the religious ceremony but there was a pre-change transexual so the frocks thing, at a stretch would be right. 😀

If you mean it like what I had then yes, I’m all for, as long as you want it. Been together five years now, near seventeen years since we met, since the law only changed near six years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here actually believe in marriage?’ is closed to new replies.