Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does anyone have an extractor fan in their kitchen?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve been told building regs require us to fit an extractor fan in our new kitchen.
    I know we’ll have a cooker hood over the hob, but I don’t know anyone with a separate extractor fan in their kitchen.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had to do this or knows anything about the regs?

scotroutes

We have one in the “utility room” attached to the kitchen (plus an extracting cooker hood). The house is 9 years old. IIRC it’s all to do with the size of window openings etc

squirrelking
    Free Member

Having been in the same boat in Scotland a cooker hood on its own is fine so long as it meets the extraction criteria. Which it will. Easily.

This is just waiting to get signed off btw so as recent as it gets.

nickjb
    Free Member

You need an extractor fan but it can be in the cooker hood. If your cooker hood just recycles then you need a separate extractor.

choppersquad
    Free Member

That’s good news then.
    Only have to work out how to get one in the utility room now then.
    We were supposed to just be having a recirculating cooker hood, but its on an outside wall so will now drill a bloody great hole in the wall and have it venting outside.

nickjb
    Free Member

We were supposed to just be having a recirculating cooker hood

Sounds like he’s done you a favour flagging it then as that wasn’t the best plan, especially if it is on an outside wall anyway

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s for the best then, recirculating hoods are worse than avid brakes.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Not really sure which extractor to get for the utility now?
    They all have different extraction rates per hour.
    Will plump for a mid range one that’s not too noisy I suppose?
    It’ll be in a roof void so do you think it’d be possible to build an insulated box round it to cut down the noise a bit?

nickjb
    Free Member

The noise will mostly come via the vent so a box won’t do much. Smooth pipe rather than the flexi ridged stuff will make a difference if you can get that in. Required flow rates are in the building regs approved document.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have an extractor fan in their kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.