Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Does anyone have a Solaris Max?
  • Merak

I’m currently refining and consolidating my bikes. Ideally I’d like just one MTB.
    Could this be the one?

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup. Me.

It’s my mainstay but it was built up as a bikepacking mule first and foremost. It serves my purposes. It hauls my ass and is comfortable for long days in the saddle.

I have two sets of wheels. B+ and 29er.

Whether it’s the one bike to rule them all for you depends very much on what you want from it.

Merak

Any pics of it? Images are sparce on the Cotic website.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup, there a pic of mine on the Cotic website…. 😀

Can’t link photos here on the iPad but if you check out the Friday is Cotic Day thread (link through my forum activity?) you’ll find some. I’ll try and dig out a link to my Flickr site which has more than a few…. 😳

ETA: here you go – https://www.flickr.com/photos/77564901@N06/albums/72157677982440823

And from the Cotic site….

http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2017/SolarisMAX

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of the new P7 29. Takes 2.6″ 29.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have a Solaris Max with 27.5+ and 29er wheels. I think the ride is brilliant and I love the grip when set up with plus wheels.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the Solaris mk2 with both 29in and B-plus wheels.

It has a really distinct character with each, and rides great with both.

If I had to just have one MTB I’d get a full-sus, but if hardtails suit your riding then the Solaris might be just the ticket.

Alex

I share mine with my daughter. Had a MK1, this is WAY more fun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WwcVV4]Last ride of my 40s![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

And on some cheap 29s. Now run it with a nice set of American Classics I swap between my Flare max and the Solaris Max

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X219MJ]Cotic SolarisMax on 29s[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

As a chubby, it’s brilliant. Ridden it loads in our local woods in summer and preferred to either the Flare Max or the Mojo3 for that kind of riding. Taken it on a few longer rides as well and it’s very comfy for a HT.

Only ridden it a couple of times on the 29s and there’s lots of clearance but prefer it on the chubbies. That might be because it was dry and dusty not wet and muddy!

I couldn’t have a HT for an only bike, but this I did sell my Trek Stache once I’d bought the Solaris and I wouldn’t replace it with anything.

ton

solaris max here too.

best 29” hardtail i have owned…….so far.
    and the list is very long.

just feels right.

vincienup
    Free Member

I love my Mk1 Solaris very much. I’d been wondering if a Max was worth the upgrade.

I’ll watch this thread with interest.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Mk 2 and currently running it as 650+
    Love it in both guises but don’t currently have a spare set of 29er wheels
    Wouldn’t want it as my only bike though.
    As above it would be FS if I could only have one.
    Cheers
    Steve

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have a Mk1 and run it with 29s but most of the time with 650+ This is now my alrounder and mainstay. Great Bike!

dan2406

Interested to get some real life reviews and ideal spec builds if poss as Xmas has come early for me and have a new max frame to build up.

Ideal tyre specs in both formats and also seat post recommendations. Not had a dropper on a hardtail and wondered how capable they were. Here’s hoping for some nice pictures. Budget quite tight but time on my side. Don’t really want to get it dirty!

NormalMan

Another Mk1 owner here so can’t comment on the Max but here is the thread metalheart mentioned:

Friday is Cotic day…

ton

mine came built with 1×10, but it now has 2×10 which is far better for me and my bulk.
    sold the hope xc wheels it came with, now running some 35mm hadbuilt wheels, which make it feel more solid.
    ditched the flimsy xc tyre for some wtb trail boss 2.4 toughs.

it is now the ideal bike for a big clumsy bloke to ride.

TheGhost
    Free Member

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=370611&hilit=Cotic

I’ve got 2 Solaris Maxs.

One set up with 27.5 + 2.8 Grippy tyres which is brilliant downhill and feels the right size for me at 6’2

One set up 29 with grippy 2.5 Dhfs for the rubbish weather, or to use if I want to go as fast as possible.

I have had loads of steel frames including yeti fro, explosives, blizzards, souls, indy fabs and a sherpa. The Solaris Max is the one I have liked the most so far. If you stamp on the pedals and give it some, it just takes off like there is a motor fitted. The first time it happened It took me by surprise. Brilliant tyre clearance now too.

dan2406

Great stuff. Cheers guys.
    Like the look of the external dropper post! To me that’s the biggest downfall with the new frame. Internal and then running up the downtube. Looks a little untidy. I’m sure there’s good reason.
    Can you get a rubber grommet that plugs the hole?

Plus tyres also look good. Do they roll ok on the road to. Few miles for me to the nearest bridalway

TheGhost
    Free Member

I found rolling resistance on the road depends on the tyre. Nobby nics weren’t good for me on roads. The maxxis Dhf and Highroller 2s seem just like normal sized tyres though. I’ve done some long rides on them and not thought about it.

Plus is a scale thing. If you are large they work well because they are in scale with the rider. I think we need size appropriate testing of equipment by STW

jruk
    Free Member

Is there a new version coming out soon to catch up with the Soul and BFE?

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ more than a few of is wondering that. Have to say having never ridden a 29er and still on 26 I was most i pressed with the quick demo I did of both wheel sizes back to back

I’ve got 2 Solaris Maxs.

Brilliant 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have a Solaris Max?’ is closed to new replies.