Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does anyone have a recommendation for a PVR please?
  • johnners
    Free Member

It’s for my Mum, so not too spendy please! It must be easy to use, it’d be nice if it could do iPlayer too. I’m guessing they all record subtitles these days, if not that’d be a deal breaker, she’s a wee bit deaf.

Thanks!

jonk

Humax YouView box or if she has talk talk or BT internet you can get one for £50.

johnners
    Free Member

She’s not with either of them, and is stuck with her ISP for another year. The Humax looks nice, but £229-odd quid and not even WiFi? Sheesh, I must be out of touch with the prices of these things, I was hoping for way cheaper than that!

jonk

What about a grade A referb here: http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10210

5thElefant
    Free Member

Humax, or if it’s freeway Samsung is almost as good (worth looking at to go with a Samsung tv anyway)

cranberry
    Free Member

Another vote for Humax – they are parent friendly, and yet also very good to hack with improved firmware ( search for raydon’s work ).

Perhaps not the cheapest though.

johnners
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations, Humax seems popular. Can’t quite get my head around what they charge without even including WiFi though, and her router’s nowhere near the tv!

kimbers

bought a humax for my mother in law and its been dandy she uses it loads

GrahamS

Wifi probably isn’t ideal for streaming HD video across, especially to a device that will inevitably be tucked in a corner, near the floor, so may have a pretty poor signal.

Some Ethernet-over-power type plugs are the easiest way to get a wired signal from router to box:
    http://www.dabs.com/category/networking,network-devices,homeplug/11301

Quite fancy a YouView box myself as the interface looks great. But none of them seem to support streaming your own videos off a NAS device, which is odd because the humax boxes do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have a recommendation for a PVR please?’ is closed to new replies.