Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Does anyone have a hope square taper bottom bracket tool?
  • bearnecessities

That’s it basically. Mine needs a service but LBS was stumped as don’t have the tool.

Oddly, they kept referring to it as a Pace BB which might just be because bike is pace and it was a busy day, but it’s clearly got HOPE written on the side 😀

Willing to pay to borrow, or buy.

Ta, Rich

orangeboy
    Free Member

Will a good peg spanner not shift it ?
    Not great on an old alloy cup but often works

Or find a few bolt of the right dia to fit the holes and place a lever between them , bit of a pita but Somtimes works

burt
    Free Member

Is that the one with about 6 holes around the cup

bearnecessities

Is that the one with about 6 holes around the cup

Yes, 6 exactly.

burt
    Free Member

I might still have one somewhere among the carnage of our recent house move.i never normally throw tools away so I will have a search for it tomorrow morning. If i can find it i will let you know.

bearnecessities

You’re a gent, thanks burt.

Moonglu
    Free Member

I’m 99% certain that we still have one in the workshop. I noticed you’re in West Yorkshire, not a million miles from Ripon. I can have a look in the drawer in the morning and let you know?

brokensoul
    Free Member

Do you know what the pin size & centres are?
    I’ve just had a look in the garage, I’ve got an old Brooks spanner I’ve had since I was a lad,but it looks like it could be imperial – 1/8″ pins at 5/8″ centres.
    You can try it for nowt.
    Edit: Wakefield. It’s only got 2 pins though, so may make a mess of the holes if the cup’s tight.

Ambrose

I have a six pin Royce BB tool. The pins are on an (approx) 29 mm diameter circle. I’m in South Wales, prefer you to collect tbh but can post if needed.

bearnecessities

Monglu: Sent you an email cheers.

Brokensoul: Thanks, but the BB has been sat in a frame for 17 years and probably never removed, you’re right, might make a mess of it, certainly increased chances if I try 😳 Thanks though.

Ambrose, I’ll measure up and will be in touch if Mobglu can’t find one; thank you. (It would need to be posted, obviously I’ll cover costs upfront and a deposit if needed).

Wally

Should have installed an improved lighter stiffer external modern BB, that would have solved the 17year issue 🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

Email Hope?

They’ve a reputation for good customer service and I’d imagine a 17yr old bottom bracket might be something they’d be interested in helping with

coatesy
    Free Member

It is the same tool as the Royce one, i’ve used mine on Hopes before. Ideally, you’ll also want the spacers to bolt it to the axle to prevent it slipping,and the enormous socket and adaptor will help as well.

bearnecessities

Email Hope?

Not a bad call actually if all other avenues fall through, got to ask them nicely for some 5 bolt custom rotors anyhow 8)

tmb467
    Free Member

If its any help, I removed an 18yr old shimano sealed bottom bracket recently and other than a lot of penetrating oil down the seatpost and round the threads, the most useful piece of information I can give is find some way to bolt the tool onto the axle

I used an old pivot bearing and a washer to bolt the tool on using the pedal bolt

Then put the bike in a workbench and found the longest socket wrench I could find to shift it

It still took a while to get it out but as coatsey has said, bolt the tool to the bottom bracket

burt
    Free Member

ok found it, i think. In my old befuddled brain,it had HOPE stamped on it but this one doesn’t. it does have the 6 pins at 29mm centers.i think the royce and hope BB used the same tool and i’ve had both in bikes over time.
    email me your address and i will post it today if i can get down there in time. (email in profile)

bearnecessities

All sorted now thanks to Burt, cheers all for offers 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have a hope square taper bottom bracket tool?’ is closed to new replies.