Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Does anyone find a spare set of wheels with "winter" tyres on useful?
  • Wally

Quite often it will rain all night and turn where I ride into a mud bath and I can see the attraction of simply swapping the wheels over from summer RR NN super ghetto tubeless combo.

However, is this a luxury too far and MTFU?

jam-bo

a few DH'ers i know run two sets of wheels setup ready with wets and drys.

grumm
    Free Member

Shouldn't be riding where it's a mud bath anyway surely?

Wally

It's a big forest and changes from fast hard pack to slippy clay/loam/roots quickly.

beej

Yeah, when I buy new wheels I keep the old ones and use as spares with different tyres. Bear in mind you'll need another cassette, disc rotors etc, and that your rotor sizes need to be the same. My three bikes all have the same brakes and rotors so I can swap wheels around.

boxelder

2 bikes with 3 sets wheels here – swapporama.- race/chunky/normal.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm a big fan of just choosing a good all condition tyre- I'm not a faffer. So, for me, it's a pair of Nobby Nics all year on all my bikes- racer, all rounder and big squish.

Drac

I never change my tyres until the wear out.

finnegan
    Free Member

Proper winter/mud tyres beat the pants off all-rounders – I have a set of old Panaracer Spikes for wet and muddy days (they're absolutely rubbish if it's dry, and lethal on tarmac, but in mud they're the business).

If you're like me and just want to get out on the bike when you get up, not faff around swapping wheels, I suspect you'd get a lot more use out of a spare bike with winter tyres than an extra wheelset.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Yep, got a set that I am currently rebuilding ready for the bog fest that is winter.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Admittedly I don't run tubeless, but find it only takes 10 minutes to swap tyres and that's a small enough faff (for me) to save the cost of spare wheels/cassete/discs….

clubber
    Free Member

I just use bonty mud x as all rounders locally now. I do use two sets of wheels for my cross bike. One with road tyres, one with cross tyres

crazy-legs

I've tried the swapping tyres approach. Back when I only had the one bike(!) I used to swap to slicks during the week for commuting and knobblies at the weekend but it got to be a real PITA coming home on a Sunday evening, cleaning the bike, changing tyres etc so I bought a road bike!

Other than that I never really change tyres til they wear out, just use some decent all-rounders. My full-rigid is set up with mud tyres cos that'd be what I'd use in horrendous conditions. HT has the "all-round" tyres on, full sus has summer/dry tyres on – I don't like using that when it's nasty conditions. Yes, I'm a tart…

crispybacon
    Free Member

I've got 2 bikes & I've now got 2 sets of wheels for each one. As said above you do need to buy additional rotors & cassettes etc but to be frank I run various tyre combinations so having the extra wheel set is spot on.

I use one bike for commuting so slicks are on one set of tyres anyway.

steve_b77
    Free Member

2 mountain bikes, 2 sets of wheels permanently on bikes change tyres according to conditions, it don;t exactly take ages.

4 or 5 sets of tyres in various sizes and styles from Ingitor eXCeption in 2.1" to ST high rollers and some Bonty Mud X's thrown in for good measure

Top.Dog
    Free Member

2 sets, slicks for commuting, others for mtb

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

absolutely

I have 4 pairs of wheels now. all 8 speed with the same size discs so I can mix and match between my HT and FS

skinny rimmed specialized ones that came on my hardrock with 1" slicks for roadie-ing

mavic crosslands with RRs for when its bone dry and hardpacked or frozen solid.

521s on Hope XCs with NNs for normal conditions

and another pair of wheels waiting to have a pair of swampthings fitted for the end of summer mud.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Got two bikes at the moment, a Stiffee and Meta 6.
    Going to run big wet tyres on the Stiffee, a 2.5" Minion DHR up back and a Wetscream up front.
    On the Commencal running 2.2" R/Queen up front and 2.35" HR out back.
    Will swap between the two depending on which bike I feel like riding/tyres are needed, wheels are all cross compatible, only got one set of brakes at the moment but going to keep with 185mm rotors all round.

druidh
    Free Member

Same but different. I have a set of wheels for all-round MTB use and another, with slicks, for commuting. It's best if you're using the same hub too as that avoids having to re-centre your calipers.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I did have 3 sets of wheels, between 2 bikes, so could mix and match, but decided to realise the money tied up in one of them.
    Do have about 20 different sets of tyres though, and change them all the time, depending on conditions and where we're riding.

Junkyard
    Free Member

3 bikes 4 sets of wheels iof which one set are commuter and three can take V brakes as well.
    Swap occassionally as my winter tyres are more suited to the metallised roads I will ride all winter and I ride on tarmac to the trails.I stay away from the mud as it is not so much mud as bog in these parts and mud tyres.

bagpuss
    Free Member

I tried this last year. Old set of Tioga mud tyres on an old set of wheels. Rode them once then swapped straight back, in mud they were excellent but on everything else (roots, rocks, tarmac etc) I was just reminded how much better my usual tyres are so swapped back the next day. I'll cope with the fact that in really crappy mud I won't get as much grip but will learn how to control the bike better.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone find a spare set of wheels with "winter" tyres on useful?’ is closed to new replies.