Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Does anyone else walk round their house…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

And have to turn all the **** lights off!!!!
    I’ve decided to fine the children 20p every time I have to switch their lights off! Chances are ill get **** all!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yep – do the same at work too!
    They’ve been warned I’ll fit sensors…

brakes
    Free Member

isn’t the cost relatively minimal?

piemonster

Every time a room is left and the light remains on…. a baby Robin dies.

piemonster

Oh and yes.

hammyuk
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    isn’t the cost relatively minimal?

Not when it’s a light fitting with 8 x 35W halogen G8’s it isn’t………

5thElefant
    Free Member

No. I do have to shut bloody drawers and cupboard doors though. There aren’t even any kids left at home.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I once turned the power off at the fuse box, lit some candles and opened all the windows. Pretended I was camping.

Hope that helps.

*No hallucinogenic substances were ingested.

iolo
    Free Member

I have all the lights on,curtains open and am always naked

JEngledow
    Free Member

I just walk around the house naked and lights get turned off in the hope that the darkness will hide my twig and jiggle-berries!!

project
    Free Member

i hate it when im working in a house and the customer keeps turning the light off when i go out to the van,but then some of them leave a huge tv on,computer on,and the tumble dryer to dry a tea towel, then cant afford to turn on the kettle.

even been to houses where they take the bulbs out, especially on the stairs and in walkin cupboards.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah but that’s not really true is it project?

tomhoward

I have to turn lights on! House mate is quite happy to sit in the dark, so I’ll come downstairs of a morn, flick the light on and see him sat there. Scares the shit out of me!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes….. which is why I’ve just spent a small fortune on LEDs.

bearnecessities

Pretty dreadful video, but this thread reminds me of:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9BpAq_cRrls[/video]

poly
    Free Member

Not when it’s a light fitting with 8 x 35W halogen G8’s it isn’t………

8×35 = 280 W
    0.28 kWhr @ 15p per kWhr = 4.2 p per hr.

However, that energy is mostly heat… …so if you are heating the room anyway you’ll end up putting more energy in via another route…

tinribz
    Free Member

According to this, low Energy bulb, 3p for 24hours, or £11 if you left it on for a year.

http://www.eforests.co.uk/INTERNET/efco2.nsf/light?OpenForm&Seq=2

Focus my worrying about how much use the the dryer gets. Although I know a guy that unplugs the phone when he leaves the house.

falkirk-mark

Yes and walk about throwing their rubbish out, they empty stuff out boxes (cereal bars etc) and then put the empty box back in the cupboard FFS.

amedias
    Free Member

8×35 = 280 W
    0.28 kWhr @ 15p per kWhr = 4.2 p per hr.

which if left for any length of time could hit £5 – £7 a month (depending how long left on for and how many days this happens), and thats for a single light fitting

It all adds up, especially if its several lights and they get left on all day while people are out.

Energy savers and LEDs considerably less though.

Hohum
    Free Member

I feel your pain OP.

At this time of year I also spend a lot of time closing doors to keep the warmth in rooms or not let the cold in.

Grrr!

sparksmcguff

Been fitting leds as we upgrade/renovate the buildings I manage. Expensive.

Marin
    Free Member

Oh the joys Project. I carry spares in my van and use my own in their houses. Really bugs me when I forget to take them back when I leave though.

samuri
    Free Member

Thermostats are different to lights.

No-one but the man of the house may touch the thermostat.
    Anyone can touch light switches but they need to be educated that light switches turn things off as well as on.

SidewaysTim

To do it right you have to wander the house turning off the lights, whilst first mumbling then shouting profanities as the amount of lights left on continues. Finally, once apoplectic with rage, you fall down the stairs in the dark.

jambourgie
    Free Member

😀

samuri
    Free Member

It’s better if you take the dog for a walk, come round the corner and see your house lit up like a freaking lighthouse. Get angry while the dog is squeezing one out and then you drag it 300 yards with it in a squatting position.

kayak23

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHfdMkKCqCo[/video]

onandon
    Free Member

**** it. I’m in an apartment in Central geneva with the business paying the bill. Everything is on fully 🙂

takisawa2

Same here.
    Walking home from work, every bloody light on upstairs, TV on in lounge…family sat eating tea in dining room.

jag61

average of 4 per trip at least 2 of those switch offs are multi lamp things. then to turnoff laptops tv etc, wash basket replacing wardrobes god only knows how much clean hot waterdown the plughole daily 😯 3 daughters wife and granddaughter = permaskint

batfink
    Free Member

To do it right you have to wander the house turning off the lights, whilst first mumbling then shouting profanities as the amount of lights left on continues

I think you’ll find that “it’s like Blackpool-bloody-illuminations in here” is the standard dad-mumble for this particular situation

globalti
    Free Member

As an experiment I bought three “warm” 5 watt LEDs for the kitchen where we have 12 x 12v halogens in the ceiling.

The light is a horrible dull pink colour; I’m putting the trannies and 12v bulbs back in. You can’t beat that bright sharp light that a halogen bulb gives. I’ll try agin in a few years.

Stoner
    Free Member

gti – not surprising. 3x 5W LEDs will only kick out about the same light as 2x 50W halogens.

If you want to maintain similar light levels then you should be looking at replacing the 12x halogens with either 12x 5-6W or a combinatino of 7W and 5W depending on layout. And budget between £12 and £22 per lamp.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Every evening when I get home from work, I go round and turn all the sodding lights off in rooms where there isn’t anyone. It’s really bloody annoying!

alfabus
    Free Member

I bought three “warm” 5 watt LEDs … The light is a horrible dull pink colour; … You can’t beat that bright sharp light that a halogen bulb gives

Should have bought ‘cool’ white. They do exactly what you describe wanting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrs T-R always leaves the stair light on.

the only rooms upstairs are the bedrooms – you go upstairs – get changed and come down – sit in the kitchen or living room for the evening….. why does the stair light need to be on !

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Leave some of ours on, some on timers and some activated by tripwires.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yes.

These days less so, since fitting a big pile of CFL bulbs to the well used rooms, as soon as we moved in. They wouldn’t be my default choice, but, we’re lumbered with downlighters in many rooms owing to the height of (or lack of) our ceilings. About 35 of them spread across the house (yikes) – swapped about half, so far.

I have yet to sort out the 12V bathroom downlighters, and the “dimmable” bedroom halogens. So far, these rooms have been “fixed” by means of leaving broken halogens where they die…

organic355
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    I feel your pain OP.

At this time of year I also spend a lot of time closing doors to keep the warmth in rooms or not let the cold in.

Grrr!

[Pedant] Hot air has more potential energy than cool air. All energy systems naturally move toward a state of equilibrium, therefore, the heated air molecules will move toward the cooler air and disperse their energy until equilibrium is reached. High energy states progress toward lower energy states – hot moves toward cold.[/Pedant]

HTH 🙂

oldbloke
    Free Member

Same as OP, but the wife is worse than the kids with multiple small ambient lights in every room. When we re-wired the house, I stuck lighting circuits in as well as the 13 amp ones so they can all go on and off with one switch at the door.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else walk round their house…’ is closed to new replies.