Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Does anyone else get logged out all the time?
  • Flaperon

Wot the subject says, really ^^

Just annoying, it’s rare that sites log you out automatically. I have the adverts turned off but it’s largely pointless if every other time I visit the site I’ve been logged out and they’re slowing the computer to a crawl.

bruneep

I’d say it happens every week to me, its either the laptop, phone or work PC.

DickBarton

Yes, if I only use 1 device I need to log in weekly. If more than 1 device that day then next time I access the site on any device.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, it’s why I gave my “P” up.

Nothing been done about it and I’ve mentioned it, like, 20 times over the last two years.

Finally got fed up. Handed the P back and logging in still happens.. so I’ve saved myself the price of a mars bar and a bag of crisps.

DickBarton

so I’ve saved myself the price of a mars bar and a bag of crisps.

Is that each time you login???

scotroutes

I have to log in about once a month. When it happens, it tends to be both phone and PC the same day. This would tend to indicate that it’s not the site causing the more frequent logging in but then folk say that this is the only site to display this behaviour with them. 😕

gordimhor

I get logged out several times each day. I prefer it that way

neilthewheel

Yes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes

jambalaya
    Free Member

I get logged out perhaps once every 2 or 3 weeks. Autofill very useful.

sirromj

Yes but that’s due to “self-destructing-cookies” add-on 😆

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Yes, frequently

But why’s that a problem?

scotroutes

It’s a problem because the field allowing you to log back in is only shown after all the ads are loaded- and that can take a very long time.

roger_mellie

It’s a problem because the field allowing you to log back in is only shown after all the ads are loaded

Which the cynic in me thinks is deliberate…

john

The suggestion I used (from someone on here) is to bookmark this link: http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fsingletrackworld.com%2Fforum
    Instead of the forum URL itself. Either gives you the login box on its own, or the (logged in) forum if already logged in.

jekkyl

it’s because the site generates more revenue the more eyeballs see the ads, it’s designed to log you out so the website makes more dosh and it’s never addressed because no resident grumpy is prepared to admit it as it’s clandestine and very annoying. 😀 well that’s my theory anyway.

Cougar

As theories go, it’s bollocks, or it’d happen to everyone.

I get logged out maybe once a month, I think it’s when the site’s updated / restarted. “Nothing has been done” because, to my knowledge, no-one with the power to do anything about it or narrow down the cause has ever replicated the issue. Safari seems to be a fairly common denominator from what I’ve seen.

Jamie
    Free Member

As theories go, it’s bollocks, or it’d happen to everyone.

That’s the genius of it all. The algorithm gives the impression the logouts are arbitrary, thus accusations of forcing premier members to view adverts can be disregarded.

You almost had us fooled…

bruneep

Safari seems to be a fairly common denominator from what I’ve seen.

Chrome user here.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I get logged out with chrome and mobile chrome.

The frequency varies, so yes I can imagine it’s hard to pin-point.

Cougar

In a fit of irony, I had to log in when I got into work this morning.

Flaperon

Chrome user here.

The suggestion I used (from someone on here) is to bookmark this link: http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fsingletrackworld.com%2Fforum
    Instead of the forum URL itself. Either gives you the login box on its own, or the (logged in) forum if already logged in.

Thanks John!

Cougar

The suggestion I used (from someone on here)

Me (-:

You can tweak the last bit to go to your preferred forum too, so http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum/off-topic goes directly to the chat forum, http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum/bike-chat to the bike one.

zippykona

I had this problem and someone on here asked if I was in private mode on an iPad.
    I didn’t even know that existed. As it happened I was and that’s what kept me logged out.

zippykona

While the clever people are on here, this is supposed to allow force zooming…
    javascript:document.querySelector(‘meta%5Bname=viewport%5D’).setAttribute(‘content’,’width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=10.0,user-scalable=1′);
    It doesn’t can it be tweeked?

Cougar

I had this problem and someone on here asked if I was in private mode on an iPad.
    I didn’t even know that existed. As it happened I was and that’s what kept me logged out.

That’ll do it, aye. Ditto “incognito” on Chrome.

The persistent login needs cookies. If something is interfering with cookies – private browser modes, privacy addons, no-script plugins, anything like that – it won’t work.

Cougar

I think I might have just sussed what’s going on…

jekkyl

Cougar – Moderator
    I think I might have just sussed what’s going on…

was I right and it was a conspiracy? 😮

Cougar

Yes, yes it is.

(No.)

Cougar

Stand down. User error, it’s not doing what I thought it was doing. Bugger.

Cougar

Affected Chome users, answer me this:

Are you using that workaround link ^^ to open the site? Moreover, is anyone affected who is not using it, and would like to help with an experiment?

timidwheeler

I use the above link but it is still really annoying. For instance I decide to catch up on the Zwift thread. I’m happily reading page 102 of 119. When I click to go to page 103 I get logged out. I then have to go back to the login screen, log back in and spend five minutes trying to get back to page 103.

Or I spend ages tapping out a post, press send post and get logged out. I then have to go to the log in screen, log back in and write my post out again. It’s got to the point that I copy any long posts to my phone clipboard before attempting to post. If it was once a month I wouldn’t mind so much but it happens a couple of times a week.
    I only tend to use the site on my phone, using Crome and no weird privacy settings.

Stoner
    Free Member

I get logged out most days. I use the workaround* when needs be to avoid the advert rigmarole.

As I said last time this came up, I can recreate the log out by rebooting my android device. But not my Chromebook device.
    I get logged out on any device, but cant find a way of replicating it on chromebook.

To my idiot eye, it’s a bad bit of cookie somewhere.

* lazy dev wont fix problem link I think you mean…. 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Frequently, on many different PC’s in different places.

Bloody annoying.

Cougar

Right, Stoner, you’ll do. (-:

First up, I’ll caveat this by saying that I don’t believe this is a single issue, but rather there are multiple causes. I’m just exploring one here.

We’ve established that this is a cookies issue, yes? So logically, either they’re not being set correctly, or they are being set correctly and something is eating them. I’ve been watching my cookie behaviour whilst navigating the site, and here’s my current thinking:

On the login page, there’s a tick box which says “remember me.” Leaving the box empty creates a “wordpress_logged_in” cookie with an expiry date of “session.” I’m not 100% certain how a session is defined in this context, but I’ll come back to that. The pertinent point here is, a session cookie will disappear when the criteria for “session” are no longer met. Conversely, ticking the box creates a permanent cookie with an expiry date a fortnight hence (which is the WordPress default).

Now, I have that redirect URL saved on my browser address bar. I use it continually to back out of pages and return to the menu. I’d never noticed until just now, but that redirect has a side effect – it replaces the permanent cookie with a session one.

The reason I’d never noticed is, I rarely shut down either my work or home laptop, rather they go into various sleep states. As Chrome never really shuts down fully (unless you change a setting to make it do so), that session state is presumably being held open. The reason I had to log in this morning (again, I’m assuming) is because I shut down my laptop on Friday as updates were pending.

The fly in the ointment here is I just tried to replicate it with another reboot, and the login persists. So I’m thinking that for the session to actually reset, with Chrome at least, you need a reboot and for some time-out period to elapse. This might also explain why different people are having different experiences – different browsers are handling the session concept in different ways. Speculating, Safari might be more aggressive in its clean-up. I’m going to try again and leave it 20 minutes before opening Chrome back up.

Cougar

If you’re an affected Chrome user and want to help pin this down:

Install Cookie Inspector please? Log in, press F12 for the developer window, and select Cookies from the menu (you might need to click the ‘>>’ button for more menu items depending on screen size).

You should see a wordpress_logged_in cookie, with an expiry date. That date should be an actual date rather than “session.” Let me know if you manage to do anything (other than my shortcut link) which resets it to session.

It’d be helpful if iUsers could do this also, though I’ve no clue how you’d do that in Safari.

Stoner
    Free Member

Now, I have that redirect URL saved on my browser address bar. I use it continually to back out of pages and return to the menu.

as do I.

Stoner
    Free Member

logged_in cookie showing Session

Jamie
    Free Member

I am amazed this thread hasn’t been closed, and users directed to the ignored website upgrade thread.

Stoner
    Free Member

logged out.

Logged in, set to Remeber me

logged_in Cookie now fortnight date.

going to android to see if I can now **** this up.

am logged in on Android.

Now rebooting android. Cookie inspector still showing fortnight on logged_in cookie

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else get logged out all the time?’ is closed to new replies.