• This topic has 35 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Does anyone else do that thing where they imagine riding…
  • Harry_the_Spider

…their bike down the office staircase?

Previous office would have been easy enough I reckon, with a fair distance between the corners. The current one turns through 180° and has a rather large plate glass window at the “bail out” point, so I’ll give it a miss.

northernmatt

I actually considered it at the old place as we had a mezzanine floor in the warehouse but the runoff from the bottom of the stairs went straight onto the trade counter. New work is flat 🙁

dknwhy

I imagine caning it around a supermarket, sliding the rear wheel into neatly stacked tins of beans.

rossi46
    Free Member

I did. Then i got grassed up and pulled into the managers office for it.
    He wasnt amused.
    Basically, imagine it but dont do it!

brakes
    Free Member

yes, and I also check over my shoulder for traffic when pulling out of “lane” when walking along a busy pavement.
    I don’t drive a lot anymore so have stopped “downshifting” to walk past people… 😳

lemonysam
    Free Member

I was caught by my boss recently running/jumping down the stairs making zoom noises and miming holding handlebars.

binners

I do it when I’m out walking wit the better half. Especially when I see ay interesting looking singletrack narrow footpaths. She looks at me with a special mixture of both pity and contempt.

stewartc
    Free Member

Thought about it but since I’m on the 55th floor I would either get to knackered or very bored and stop way before the ground floor.

cranberry
    Free Member

A mate tried going down the stairs of my previous apartment block after a heavy night on the sauce. I only found out after I found little bits of Cateye lights scattered on the stairs. Thankfully I was only on the first floor.

Bruises lead to learning. At least he hasn’t tried it from the 12th floor of my current place.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I work in a converted 18thC Church building, stairs are definently “Grand” so no bother, now the back stairs are a different matter.

jekkyl

well I didn’t…..

tomhoward

I pretend I’m Ken Block when pushing a supermarket trolley around 😳

Steve77
    Free Member

How fast would an up escalator have to be going before you could ride down it indefinitely?

jamj1974

Binners+1 and Rossi46 but without bollicking.

badllama
    Free Member

I’m going through a phase of wanting to ride through the bridge at the Trafford Centre then go down the stairs by the fountain at present.

GoPro it and stick it on Youtube just wondering how much I could do before they could grab me 😈

We once tried rollapaluza racing on the tacho rollers at a truck garage where I worked.
    Tacho rollers are a bit like the brake rollers you see at MOT stations, except that they are designed to stand an 11t truck axle doing 30mph+.
    They take some getting going, but they’ve got some inertia once they’re moving. 😀

arrpee
    Free Member

I draft other pedestrians in order to avoid awkwardly rebuffing charity workers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I work for a very prestigious arts establishment in the West End, in an eighteenth century building with a fair few ornate staircases.

Were it not for the CCTV and regular security patrols, I daresay I’d have succumbed to temptation and ridden a bike around the building.

redthunder
    Free Member

If I’m waiting for an appointment… I’ll run through my local trails in my mind. .. I never completed them all before getting called.

I also imagine fantasy field archery courses…. perfect 4’s every time ;-)and lose a few.

tenfoot

Never thought about riding down the steps, but I did ride a Brompton round the office at 6.30 in the morning before anyone turned up.

johndoh
    Free Member

I daren’t do it in case it brings on an apparition like this.

Stoner
    Free Member

At Moorgate Tube Station there are a set of escalators that link one outdoor level with another. Ahem 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

With a favourable traffic light sequence and skill at getting round tight staircase (hopping) I reckon I could have got out of my room, across the hall, out the flat, down the stairs, down dundas street along brandon terrace, across waters of lieth and down into the underground carpark at work with one complete pedal rotation.

From my old flat.

toby1

Photo evidence – thread closed!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

^^Done that escalator too. Riding down the “up” escalator was surprisingly different to doing the “down” one.

Have ridden both sets of stairs in the warehouse at work. Had to mince a bit as they’re metal treadplate steps and one has a wall a bike length in front at the bottom, the other a concrete pillar, so fine control needed rather than a hoon.

Not done the office stairs though. Mostly because I haven’t had an excuse to have an MTB in the office, and I’d kill myself doing it on the Brompton. I have thought about it though…

acidchunks

Yep, from the 5th floor to the basement. I’d have to negotiate 12 tight 180 turns though. Saving it for whenever I / if I ever leave

northernmatt

I pretend I’m Ken Block when pushing a supermarket trolley around

Done this many times when younger but pretending to be Colin McRae as Ken Block is a tit/wasn’t even doing his thing then.

D0NK

^^Done that escalator too. Riding down the “up” escalator was surprisingly different to doing the “down” one

hmm I would imagine the up escalator was easier, dunno tho. Steve77’s endless escalator ride sounds fun

MoreCashThanDash

She looks at me with a special mixture of both pity and contempt.

I know that look 🙄

Northwind

I used to be obsessed with the idea of riding my motorbike through my old office. Not sure I could have got it in the lift though

Junkyard
    Free Member

I once rode 6 flights at work but got caught as I was the H & S rep I got a major telling off for that 😳

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I was a student at the Edinburgh College of Art, if you stayed late to work in your studio after nine, the main doors would be locked and we basically had the free run of the building.

We had a criterium race along the model’s corridor, down the wardrobe steps, a lap of the sculpture court balcony under the Elgin Marbles then down the main stairs and the priming room steps to the bogs.

Careful timing was everything as the janitors did their rounds.

milky1980
    Free Member

When I used to work for Halford, races round the mezzanine floor were a daily occurrence. Took a Stinky Deluxe down the stairs in Cheltenham a few times after closing 😀

Current workplace was having work done in the garage where I keep my bike so we had to store them upstairs for a week, take the FS in one day and rode the fire escape. Got into A LOT of trouble for the one. Asking for the CCTV footage on DVD during my disciplinary meeting wasn’t the greatest of moves in hindsight :mrgreen:

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I imagine i’m riding through the woods in silky underwear, oh hang on… 😳

Kunstler

Superb mcmoonter. Wish I’d had a go at that when I was there. If that building could tell its stories…

gonzy
    Free Member

spotted a nice set of spiral steps yesterday at Euston station going down to Platform 6 for the Northern (southbound) line

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else do that thing where they imagine riding…’ is closed to new replies.