Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 254 total)
  • Does anyone care what Barrack says?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

This may have been covered previously but just a general question, do you? Me? I couldn’t gaf re the “special relationship”

aP
    Free Member

Yes, of course. We can’t rely on Asian economies driving us for much longer.

aracer
    Free Member

I care so little I didn’t even start a thread about it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Just watching the news….

oldnpastit

I think we would care a lot more if he had said “you’ll be fine, don’t worry about leaving”.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Who?

mashiehood
    Free Member

Opinions are like holes, everyone has one
    In this instance Obama is spot on and boris and co are so rattled they resorted to …..

Nipper99
    Free Member

I watched his Town Hall q&a this morning – would be good to have some inspiring politicians here.

molgrips
    Free Member

I couldn’t gaf re the “special relationship”

You do realise that whilst you personally may not be interested, such things are quite important to the economy on which you work so are actually quite important to you and your bank balance, don’t you?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Anybody know what it’s worth? Imports from USA and how much we export to them?

kimbers

Does anyone care what Barrack says?

Middle aged set in their ways whiney mtbers, not so much

Idealistic young swing voters.. probably more so

edhornby

compared to the alternatives, yes; consider other US presidents, consider other nations

The special relationship is a journalistic invention, and the nation as a whole is a pretty dangerous bag (arms distribution across the planet is a pretty oderous business that we unfortunately join in with), but I still think that at least he’s more honest than some politicians.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Like it or not we make money from trading with the outside world (it’s only really the trade with the outside world that actually brings money into the economy, the rest is debt based growth) so how the leader of the world’s richest nation and one of our major trading partners see the situation is important.

wrecker
    Free Member

Couldn’t give a shit. He won’t be relevant for much longer anyway so he can go forth and multiply!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I care, and only for the reason he’s been a very inefficient US Precident.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

would be good to have some inspiring politicians here.

Them few words are so wrong on so many levels

Whatever next mass political rallies where we can chant and applaude their greatness.

Ps there is no special relationship, we share a language, something many americans probably think is down to them anyway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

such things are quite important to the economy on which you work so are actually quite important to you and your bank balance, don’t you

Bet my steel comes from China….

kimbers

It’s quite amusing , all we’ve heard from outies is how we can trade more with America once we leave the EU, all of a sudden POTUS is a douchebag, we don’t need them damn Yanks… . 😳

wrightyson
    Free Member

And fwiw I like barrack. Always seems a pretty sound guy. Would actually put him on my “dinner party list” if for no other reason than to get to know him.

billyboy
    Free Member

It might be more interesting to find out what the payoff was, or is going to be. What is the devious lying shitbag who runs our country going to give Obama in return for the US President spewing out these pro European statements?

Northwind

billyboy – Member

It might be more interesting to find out what the payoff was, or is going to be. What is the devious lying shitbag who runs our country going to give Obama in return for the US President spewing out these pro European statements?

Have you given any consideration to the possibility that it might be true?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I saw this posted on one of my Friends walls’ on Faceache.
    Typical Squaddie humour about it all..

Dear Mr Obama, shove your *F****** trade up your F****** arse. We weren’t at the back of the queue when you needed us on operations, twice in Iraq, and then again in Afghanistan. I guess it’s only a ” special relationship ” when it suits America. If you need help in future, you can always call on Germany, winners of so many wars, or Italy, but only if your already winning before you invite them, and of course, the mighty French, but give them some notice, so they can get their military production running at full strength, by putting their white flag factories onto three shifts. Good luck with that.
    Signed
    BRITAIN

Oh, and just as a little P.S.
    The last time you went to war without us, the Viet Cong handed you your arse on a plate

Thought it was apt.

wilburt
    Free Member

I dont care but my daughter thinks he’s our president and the “Leader of the free world” so it appears to matter.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Teetosugars you are aware that its not 1939 all over again and that we have no meaningful armed forces to speak of.

Cletus
    Free Member

Ask the question in ten years and he will be regarded as a good president – just look at who is likely to replace him.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He is the principle representative of the worlds largest economy and a key ally of the UK. Why would anyone not GAF?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The special relationship.
    They think we are special
    We think it’s a relationship

I think his thoughts on a great deal of things are relevant and well considered. As he is at the end of his term he can also be a little more free with his opinions and say what he thinks more rather than giving the correct political statement.

TooTall
    Free Member

His views are more relevant than most of the people who think they have relevant views.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As President of the US yes I care what he has to say. I think he was spot on at yesterday’s press conference when he said, as someone living in a democracy I would be keen to get every piece of information I could before making a big decision. He gave his view whuch we can see very clearly was that the UK should, in his opinion, do what is good for the US.

The UK and the US co-operate very closely across a range of subjects

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We should care but at the same time he’s a politician so had to be seen to not isolate any other friends and allies. From his stand point it’s convenient for us to stay in. He doesn’t want anything to rock the global economy as the US’ economy us just as fragile as anyone’s, he doesn’t want anything upsetting Europe at a time when far right groups are popular and any fissures in the established relationships could be exploited by Putin. And he doesn’t want to P off his other European allies like France and Germany. He’s only got his own best interests at heart and did not make that statement as a caring and concerned friend. As many have pointed out, if the shoe was on the other foot and the US were having to accept rules and governance from Mexico or Canada then they he would be looking to exit ASAP.

From a trading perspective in the long term the US will become less important as will the EU as 80% of the worlds population allive in the developing world. We need to start sucking upto the Chinese, Indians, Africans etc. Big time. The question is are we better off doing that as part of the EU machine or by ourselves?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We need to start sucking upto the Chinese, Indians, Africans etc. Big time. The question is are we better off doing that as part of the EU machine or by ourselves?

And the part where when it comes down to negotiations to sort out these trade deals which has is more of a priority to China, India, Brazil etc. Sorting the eu one or the UK one. Who will have the better negotiating position, I don’t see a solo UK being the ones doing the demanding. If they can be bothered at all.

jam-bo

But we’re the 5th* largest economy in the world don’t you know..

*it drops off after 2nd place real quick.

crankboy
    Free Member

He is President of the US with a significant time to run and high approval ratings , he is a significant influence on the political party which in all likelihood is going to provide the next President . The US is still a significant major power and geography and resources mean it will remain so. At a time when Russia is more interventionist than it has been for years America has one of the largest and most effective Armies on the planet.
    You would have to be pretty divorced from reality not to care what he thinks whether or not you like or agree with his opinions is a matter for you but to ignore them because you don’t like them is plain silly.

Rorschach
    Free Member

More than what anyone on here says…yes.

mooman
    Free Member

Isn’t he on a trip to sell TTIP?

In which case; of course he will be pushing that rhetoric.

So if he is telling the truth, and we will be at the back of the queue, then it’s a good thing. The NHS sell off may be able to be stopped once the Tory’s are removed.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

The leader of the United States of America may be quite well informed in respect of a United States of Europe?

FuzzyWuzzy

I think Obama could have been a great President but he turned out a bit of a lame duck due to not having a Congressional majority for most of his time in office – that meant most of what he did ended up badly watered down.

Is the US important to our economy? Ofc but will we cease trade with them if we leave Europe? Ofc not. Do we need a special trade agreement? Not really – if TTIP goes ahead if we left the EU then EU companies would have an advantage but I doubt it would cause much harm to our economy in the short-mid term. And given China’s economy crashing in the longer term means we’re all screwed anyway – who cares? :p

hora
    Free Member

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/OTS.aspx

We are an important trade partner to German and French businesses.

The US also sells us alot.

I bet their politicians are privatly worrying themselves….

Well you’d hope so but one allows daily drone strikes that has collateral damage along with a multiple trillion national debt and another has just allowed over a million refugees into her country with no thought to solve about the reason behind the cause of all this people’s misery.

The US has form for interfering. In the last 60yrs have they had a beneficial influence apart from Clinton/Balkans?

flap_jack
    Free Member

So if he is telling the truth, and we will be at the back of the queue, then it’s a good thing. The NHS sell off may be able to be stopped once the Tory’s (sic) are removed.

You think those nice tories will not continue the sell-off if we Brexit and it’s all the Americans forcing us to ? Oh dear…

Pigface
    Free Member

The Viet Cong bit is such utter drivel, like we did such a great job in Afghan on numerous occasions.

I think if Obama had said I don’t give a fig what you do it would of been bigger news.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 254 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone care what Barrack says?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts