Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • does anyone act their age?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I had my first go on a BMX last week!

rOcKeTdOg

to be fair rocketdog, you do seem to ride a lot of flat terrain

I can’t help where I live & I have no car. Just making the best of what I’ve got & having fun, surely there’s no harm in that? It seems to tread on people’s toes though, maybe having fun isn’t their thing? *shrugs*

Ooh that was acting my age, back to acting like a kid now

sleepless
    Free Member

my lads are 9 and 11. they stress at there iphones (which the outlaws bought them) I showed them the fisherprice phone we all had at their age and told them to stop trying to grow up so quick and act their age.

I bought them that robot lego thinking they might actually want to link their technology to real toys- needless to say it is my toy now.

I fell off my BMX and broke my skull 4 months ago and haven’t been the same since (change is ok). I am only 39 and own a fisherprice.

br
    Free Member

I still automatically spot/scan every female as I walk into a pub. Terminator-style.

So no matter how old I am, I’m still an utterly-dirty bastard. Thats what counts.

Yep, but usually now I’m wondering how fit their Mum’s are 🙂

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’m 27 and i should still like going out and getting rat arsed at the weekend. And dicking about with every woman out there. I did all that from 14 year old to about 18 and then went in the Army for 7 years.

Now i go to work, do my house duties, maybe have an hour or two on the bike then cook tea, shower and bed. Days off mostly include housework, more bike riding, and then settling down with the missus and three Bottles of wine or Champagne 🙂

Holidays used to be the usual Lads getting smashed style. Now Its lots of relaxation and exploring and sightseeing.

Sounds boring but i can’t stand going out on the piss, its full of ****. I ride a motorbike far too fast, so maybe i havent grown up in that respect.

Don’t even windowshop women anymore, unless I’m on my own that is 😉 if i did, the missus would cut my dick off and feed it to our dogs. But she is 33 and and likes the same stuff as me, getting muddy and then snuggling down during the evening.

Oh, but i do listen to Iron Maiden and Uplifting Trance stupidly loud 🙂

CountZero

Good God, no!
    “Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.”
    “You don’t stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.”

seadog101

Please see: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-bmx-2

Also, I’m on shift right now, and will be until 06:00 doing a very grown-up job. However, I’m am currently into my 5th hour successfully not stepping on the cracks.

CountZero

For people to ‘act there age’ there would have to be a predetermined way of acting for any particular age. That’s clearly a stupid concept!

As specified by the Daily Mail, according to them, once past thirty, men should wear comfortable, elastic waisted slacks, a shirt and tie at week-ends, with a cardigan, and stop listening to anything other than jazz and classical music.
    Screw ’em.

brakes
    Free Member

It seems to tread on people’s toes though, maybe having fun isn’t their thing? *shrugs*

some people just put their feet in the way to be trodden on.
    I like the cut of your jib rocketdog – I wish you were my grandad 8)

tazzymtb

actually I have changed my mind and shall now become a boring middle aged, bmw polishing, fat-**** like all the folks I work with. ahhhhhh the comfortable slide into warm conformity having never to think for myself again

somafunk

if acting my age (41) means wearing a suit n’ tie n’ shoes and working in middle management/sales/local government whilst dreaming about the new ford mondeo company car then you can stick it right up yer arse!, I’ll stick to my wardrobe consisting of t-shirts, shorts, 3/4 riding trousers, trainers, jeans thank you very much whilst living from week to week with nae idea of what i should really be doing but i’ve done alright so far and experienced areas of the planet and cultures that still make me smile and daydream about them 20 yrs later so i’m really quite happy with how i act at the moment, whatever others may think or consider bout my lifestyle and my age i couldn’t give a flying ****.

On a more serious note, what does acting your age really mean? – once your past a certain age should you not do things that make you happy?……..my criteria for choosing to do stuff goes as follows.

Do i want to do it? – Yes….so do it
    Do i want to do it? – No….**** it

EDIT : My parents got me a card for my birthday this year with the phrase How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you actually are? , kin’a sums it up nicely for me, i’d say 26 or 27 ish or thereabouts despite my bones occasionally feeling my true age of 41.

FWIW, my mum is a young 58 and my dad is a young 63, both still working unfortunately but they do enjoy themselves, motorbikes, holidays, my mum has just got her 13th tattoo on her ankle :roll:, gaw’d….. mum!, act yer bloody age fer chrissakes!

AdamW
    Free Member

As Billy Connolly says: “Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn’t try it on. ”

I was told this whilst trying on a tea cosy.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking for a while that I should act more like my dad did when he was my age.

Then it occurred to me that parents only act sensible and responsible when their kids are looking.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think only when life changing, ‘responsibility’ events happen to you, do you grow up, death of a parent, parenthood

scotroutes

I think CM has a point. The death of my parents caused me to consider my own mortality more than I had.

I still don’t behave like my father did when he was 54 though and my bucket list is getting longer, not shorter!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Guess what I got served in the local and no one asked if I was over 18 – still gives me a buzz and I’ve been legal for a couple of years now. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a couple of mates who wonder why I still ride bikes (with my bmx being a “kids bike”) at 24… the good part is that the rest of em want to get into it after they’ve been for a few rides with me! To quote one of them “it’s like being a kid and playing on bikes again only now you’re strong enough to do fun shit on them” 😀

Kryton57

This is a problem for me at work since I’ve moved into a Sales team, all of which are younger than me (41, they are mid to late 30’s, my boss is 35).

They seem ultra professional and business like in the office, which I am with customers. But I prefer a good laugh, drunken behaviour if out in the evening and subtly disguised letching at office girls tbh.

I often think that promotion etc is out of my hands because our company is so politically driven and I’m shit at politics, so why walk around with a stick up my arse compromising my personality for a job title.? Or I may be naive….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But I prefer a good laugh, drunken behaviour if out in the evening and subtly disguised letching at office girls tbh.

I often think that promotion etc is out of my hands because our company is so politically driven and I’m shit at politics, so why walk around with a stick up my arse compromising my personality for a job title.? Or I may be naive….

Hmmm. I think i’m starting to see why you are in the position of having professional peers ten years your junior, working for a boss younger than you.

Just as well you seem content with it and manged to do so without compromising your personality

orangeboy
    Free Member

Started in the bike trade full time 15 years ago as a short term job lol
    Never grown up and got a proper job but have enough to live on and buy the odd toy

Never have an issue getting motivated going to work all is good

Kryton57

Hmmm. I think i’m starting to see why you are in the position of having professional peers ten years your junior, working for a boss younger than you.

Charliemungus – 6 years btw And it could be that I’ve worked many years at senior management level managing and being a top international consultant and have changed my career to one which I have no experience, and where they are 10-years olus experience. It could also be that my new boss having never managed before, gained his position politically yet needs my help to manage the team members, before moving on and handing the reigns. Unless I jump ship due to political barriers. Unfortunately your skills don’t count for much in our place, but arse licking does. I can go elsewhere and command pretty much the same if not a bit more of everything but it suits me not to right now.

Edit: you are right about the arse licking though – I won’t compromise myself in that regard.

You need to be able to spot a tongue in cheek comment my friend and not make assumptions.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Charliemungus – 6 years btw And it could be that I’ve worked many years at senior management level managing and being a top international consultant and have changed my career to one which I have no experience, and where they are 10-years olus experience. It could also be that my new boss having never managed before, gained his position politically yet needs my help to manage the team members, before moving on and handing the reigns. Unless I jump ship due to political barriers. Unfortunately your skills don’t count for much in our place, but arse licking does. I can go elsewhere and command pretty much more of everything but it suits me not to right now.

Yeah, it could be.

You need to be able to spot a tongue in cheek comment my friend and not make assumptions.

Yes, i’ll keep that in mind! 😯

Kryton57

Lol. 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i definitely act my age.

because it’s MINE, not anybody else’s, and i do what i want to do, not what some people seem to think men of my age are supposed to be doing (or not doing, as the case may be).

i like me, my girlfriend likes me, my friends like me, my family likes me.
    i don’t care whether anyone else does or not.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I reckon you can be a resonsible adult without having to lose your sense of fun. Being to ambitious seems to lead to having to go in for a personality bypass though – so I look on ambitious people with suspicion..

What I want to know is when do you have to stop wearing colours ad just wear beige? old people lived through some of the most vibrant fashions ever but they all dress like a bit of saturation is as dangerous as nuclear waste.

jambalaya
    Free Member

[mr sensible]
    @Kryton – on a serious note I’d save the lad-ish behaviour for your mates and keep it out of your office environment as it seems out of place from your description
    [/mr sensible]

I’m 50 and I wear my youthful (juvenile) behaviour as a badge of honour. I’m sure someone very cool said “I intend to grow old disgracefully”

Kryton57

@ JAMBALAYA, CHARLIEMUNGUS AND EVERYONE ELSE

My initial comment was tongue in cheek and was an attempt to parody where acting ones age may be inappropriate perhaps a la Men Behaving Badly. I know I have a dry soh so apologies for being subtle.

No more Flaming please, it’s hot enough already where i am.

Sandwich

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care! Does for me.

martinxyz
    Free Member

<40 going on 15 here.

iainc

Love bikes, fall off when I go too fast, act daft…..and have a good job, 3 kids and a shiny (not always) BMW 🙂 probs fittest and lightest I’ve been in 20 yrs, although seem to be falling to bits !

Have to agree its a state of mind, just a number. 47 btw

chewkw
    Free Member

I think I act my age but then I just feel like mid 20s which is many many moons back. 😕

yossarian
    Free Member

I act according to my experience and instinct. Age doesn’t really come into it.

slackalice
    Free Member

Everyone of us acts out our emotional age from time to time.

Some more frequently than others. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I sometimes act my (European) shoe size. Buts that’s about as high as I go.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only time I act my age is at work, stuffy suits and pork bellied colleagues who’ve never entered the world of “outdoors” force me into levelling with them for meetings 😥 but that’s the way my work is, thank God I don’t do it for a living 😆
    Other than that I play like a good Child 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘does anyone act their age?’ is closed to new replies.