Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Does anybody here not watch TV?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

TV = Stupid 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

only so i can complain about Top Gear

alpin
    Free Member

T-in-C……. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Me, i like my brain and ideas to be Mine for as much as poss!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You make your own news/drama/comedy/documentaries/ up then ?

Not a bad idea as it happens – specially the news. I’ve got some brilliant ideas concerning what should be in the news.

mrdestructo

Cut the end off my coaxial lead about 6 years ago when I realised it was just background noise sucking the life out of me. Gives you more time to read, listen to music, find other creative things to entertain yourself with. Watch the occasional show on catchup services like iplayer/4od.

When you send off the form to the licensing people it stops them harassing you for a bit, but then they’ll come back with a vengeance. They’ll try and bluff their way into your home. I heartily recommend when they come knocking at your door you state you’ve got no aerial as the programming is so bad nowadays it’s getting in the way of family life, then ask the inspector to pre-sign an agreement to pay you the exact cost of the licensing fee as compensation to ‘intrude upon your privacy and enter your home to examine your equipment.’ The more who do this, the less they’ll attempt to use powers they don’t legally have.

I hear they are looking to make access to iplayer just through licensing (login) because viewing habits have changed in recent times.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the BBC fired their previous license operators after numbers of complaints and took on a new outfit. Has anyone noticed a change?

Dickyboy

Didn’t used to have a telly & used to get loads more shit done, but very nearly managed to go to work on a Monday some years ago without knowing that Lady Di had copped it :oops:, wouldn’t be the same now with tinternet & that

footflaps

Smug TV-less household here 🙂

skywalker
    Free Member

I hardly ever watch TV. Bear Grylls, Top Gear for me, thats about it.

kudos100
    Free Member

Probably about an hour a month. Interwebz has all the good stuff.

Why watch the pap on tv, when you can watch stuff like mad men, breaking bad and the walking dead.

When they bring out a cheap freeview recorder I may start watching tv again. Normally, there is about an hours worth of tv a week that is worth watching, and I miss it most of the time.

jon1973
    Free Member

Probably about an hour a month. Interwebz has all the good stuff.

Why watch the pap on tv, when you can watch stuff like mad men, breaking bad and the walking dead.

At an hour a month it must have taken you bloomin ages to work your way through those series.

kudos100 – you do actually realise that these programmes are made for tv and not specifically for the internet?????

jon1973
    Free Member

Exactly, watching TV programs on the internet counts as watching TV

dogbert
    Free Member

Why watch the pap on tv, when you can watch stuff like mad men, breaking bad and the walking dead

Funny, I just watched the Walking Dead season finale on, now what’s that big black slab called? oh yeah, a TV. I don’t think it counts as “not watching TV” by watching TV on a computer

arcane
    Free Member

I watch a lot of programs and movies, but haven’t owned a TV for quite a few years. In the future (probably not very distant the way things are going), people will find it odd that we once used to sit and let someone else decide what we would be watching on TV that evening. Scheduled broadcasting is on it’s last legs. 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

And why would you listen to the radio when you can just enjoy your own playlists? Or maybe it isn’t as simple as that…

the-muffin-man

People who claim not to watch TV but still watch ‘the odd’ programmes and the must-see cool series on the internet are like veggies who ‘have a bit of fish’ now and then. If you all hate TV so much then don’t watch any at all . . . on any device!

😉

jon1973
    Free Member

people will find it odd that we once used to sit and let someone else decide what we would be watching on TV that evening.

We’re there already really with the likes of V+ and Sky + and on-demand services.

Never owned a TV.
    I’ve watched two programmes via the internet in the last couple of months though.
    I keep thinking I ought to watch some of these nature and science series that everyone else watches, but I never get around to it.

mrdestructo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/26/news-corp-ondigital-paytv-panorama Going back to ITV Digital, looks like Murdoch’s money may have had a hand in pirating their viewing cards to collapse their subscription model. If Sky finally loses its license for being run by that unethical bar steward, I wonder what scheduled programming will look like?

Was the countdown to CH4 worth it? Was having to get a technician in to adjust our VCR units worth CH5?

Doug
    Free Member

We’re there already really with the likes of V+ and Sky + and on-demand services.

Been there since the telephone exchanges got upgraded to ADSL.

Would quite happily cancel the Sky and TV license if it was just me but the Mrs watches tons of rubbish stuff.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I hear they are looking to make access to iplayer just through licensing (login) because viewing habits have changed in recent times.

It’ll happen some time.

There’ll come a tipping point at which the BBC’s licence fee revenue drops so much that they need to charge for iPlayer access.

Unless they drastically change the way programmes are funded.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I rarely watch TV, probably a couple of hours a week.. try to avoid anything from the BBC at all costs though as it’s attempt to be ‘pc’ always puts up my blood pressure.

If it wasnt for the missus I wouldnt have one.

rocketman
    Free Member

Very rarely because even though we have three TVs the mrs or the kids are usually watching something – they sometimes watch the same program in different rooms 🙂

I simply don’t know what’s on TV

BillMC

Haven’t watched TV for about 25 years. I find R4 much more cerebral and it allows me to do other things at the same time. I might get one for the odd good programme but the cost-benefit analysis would discourage it.

jon1973
    Free Member

I find R4 much more cerebral

What is going on in The Archers at the moment?

BillMC

It’s at that point it goes off. Quite like Steve Hewlett and Laurie Taylor and ‘Analysis’. There’s good stuff on the telly but it just seems to me to be an incredibly small proportion of it.

MSP

Those that don’t watch TV, really need to get hold of some of the BBC natural history stuff (yellowstone, frozen planet etc) and watch it on a decent hi def big screen.

There is no way the wonder of the planet can be revealed to you in any better way, books and lectures just can’t reveal nature in the same way that they can now do with these series. And when you view the “how we did it” bits at the end, you realise the time and effort actually put into capturing each moment means that even if you were lucky enough to visit these locations you just wouldn’t see anything but a small fraction that is shown in these series.

Gunz
    Free Member

Gladly pay my license fee even though I don’t watch more than an hour a week because Radio 4 is worth every penny of it on its own.
    Stop funding the BBC and we’ll end up watching a loop video of CSI ‘insert name of city’ and kev ball. I know it’s not without considerable problems in some areas but the BBC is the envy of the world and getting around paying for it by using the iPlayer is wrong.

jon1973
    Free Member

getting around paying for it by using the iPlayer is wrong.

Don’t know why they don’t just make it so you need log on with your licence number to watch iPlayer.

brassneck

I watch next to nothing live, but I’m happy to pay the licence fee for iPlayer and CBeebies. Oh, and Radio 4,5 and 6.

Gunz is right – watch what passes for public TV in the rest of Europe, and ITV seems high brow.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Replaced my massive TV with a massive aquarium 🙂 Watch some stuff on Iplayer, sometimes films from lovefilm or piratebay on the computer or ipad. Might have to go round my friend’s house to watch The Apprentice though, I’m addicted and can’t wait a few hours for it to become available online.

AndyP
    Free Member

iPlayer and the occasional bit of 4OD is about the sum of my TV-watching. I’d gladly pay the licence fee any day.
    The rest of it is all sh1t, basically. Anything on ITV, anything American which doesn’t feature either Homer Simpson or Stewie Griffin…utter dross.

MrOvershoot

joao3v16 – Member

“I hear they are looking to make access to iplayer just through licensing (login) because viewing habits have changed in recent times.

It’ll happen some time”.

There’ll come a tipping point at which the BBC’s licence fee revenue drops so much that they need to charge for iPlayer access.

Unless they drastically change the way programmes are funded.

Maybe a slightly skewed cross section of the UK on here IMO

I could pretty much stake my life on every single person (60 odd) who works on our site owning at least on TV.

MSP

The rest of it is all sh1t, basically. Anything on ITV, anything American which doesn’t feature either Homer Simpson or Stewie Griffin…utter dross.

West Wing
    The sopranos
    The wire
    Game of thrones
    deadwood
    breaking bad
    the shield
    sons of anarchy
    dexter
    homeland
    etc
    etc….

To be honest, apart from the natural history stuff, american TV has been blowing britsh TV away for some time. Thankfully they seem to have relied quite heavily on British writing and acting talent.

AndyP
    Free Member

West Wing
    The sopranos
    The wire
    Game of thrones
    deadwood
    breaking bad
    the shield
    sons of anarchy
    dexter
    homeland
    etc
    etc….

I’ve tried all of those other than Game of Thrones. And I can confirm, they’re all shite.

mrdestructo

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody here not watch TV?’ is closed to new replies.