Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does anybody helicopter tape there new road bike?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

Just spent £5600 on a new SWorks Roubaix. I was going to get some helicopter tape from biketart to put on the down tube and the full length of the chainstays. They are the 2 vulnerable areas in my book. Or is it worth it?

chalky46
    Free Member

Maybe that’s a no!

lunge

I do but only on the bits that rub or rattle, so headtube for cables and crank arms for heal rub in my case. If you use a Roubaix as it should be used (cobbles!) then I guess the downtube and headtube are worth doing as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

I don’t…. but if i’d spent £5600 i bloody well may do !

LeeW

lunge +1

ads678

I’ve taped the chain stay and areas that might suffer from cable rub on my London Road, so I’d definitely do it on a good road bike!!

spawnofyorkshire

I wouldn’t have done so, but i bought a s/h genesis road frame from here that had been done and because of that the frame is in great shape. I wish i’d done my MTB frame when i built that up because it looks a right state in comparison

tl:dr – yes, do it

deviant
    Free Member

Yes, I tape vulnerable areas on my road bike…head tube where cables rub, down tube from stones, grit etc and chain stays from the obvious…i like my road bike to look shiny and new but I couldn’t give two hoots about my MTB, I think they look better with some wear anyway.

joemmo
    Free Member

back of the seat tube as well if you’re worried about stone chips or – god forbid – tar spots.

fasthaggis

Did my latest frame at certain bits ,back of the forks,downtube,top of chainstays and at the seatstays where the wheel goes close.Only cause I have a fancy dancy paint job though 😉

TiRed

Only on points of cable rub, and chainstay, which is probably protected already.

Burger

Yes, drive side chainstay, any cable or heel rub spots. I also took the chainset off and put some on where the chain might drop. Probably should just have bought a chain catcher, but this last bit has already saved some chunks of paint get taken out.

chalky46
    Free Member

Best way of putting it on from biketart?

I’ve been told water but surely some must get trapped underneath?

kayak23

Just spent £5600 on a new SWorks Roubaix

😯

tonyg2003

Yep a little on the headtube. Chainstay and anywhere else that will rub.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve been told water but surely some must get trapped underneath?

Soapy water. Squeegy it out and hairdryer it solid.

nixie

Use water, just plain water. Do not be tempted to use your thumb to squeeze it out. The proper tool is so cheap and gives a much better finish.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

road bikes? No other than the obvious cable tub areas and top of chainstay.

CX/Gravel? Yes; underneath down tube, back of seat tube for gravel spray/stone chips, underneath fork crown, and the insides of the fork legs, seat and chain stays close to the tyres to prevent damage/wear from clogged stone-filled mud.

monkeyboyjc

Chainstay gets a strong cloth tape wrap out of the box on any bike I buy.
    And id put some hesitate on bits that rub, but beyond that no, not on a road bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody helicopter tape there new road bike?’ is closed to new replies.