Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Does any carry their bike inside a VW Polo?
  • drumon

Do you carry your mtb inside a VW Polo, if you do, how do you do it? Do you fit one or two bikes in?

Thanks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Similar sized car (old Yaris) 26-er front wheel off, seat post out/right down, front seat forward, back seats down. One bike only

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t know exactly how he did it, but a work collegue used to fit a 26″ bike in the back of his polo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

I put two 26″ bike in the back and two 6’6″ blokes in the front of a 1994 polo for a trip with my brother. Wheels off, seat post off. Iirc. I seem to remember turning the bars on one bike although why we did that with the wheels off I can’t remember- we might have just got carried away.

I then bought an additional frame and a fork during the trip and got that in there too.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Yes.

Also managed to get two road bikes in there with wheels off.

Full sus bike in a bike bag in there too.

It will take two bikes with wheels off relatively easily. May need to pad them out a bit.

mountainman

Similar size car old honda civic,got 2x 26″ mtbs in with wheels off ,n 2x 6ft males .Back seats down n change of clothes n brew kit.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I had a mark 2 polo coupe s years ago and could get 2 26ers in the back with the wheels off.

noncycler
    Free Member

2x mtbs fit in any polo with wheels on easily.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Yup. rear seats down, wheels off and in it goes with a little wiggle on it’s side. Relatively easily but there are still times I still wish I’d kept the Passat.

tomhoward

2x mtbs fit in any polo with wheels on easily.

Pics please.

We got 2 in, but they were in evoc bike bags…

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Had 3 bikes in the back of my 6n2 polo, front wheels off. Sheets inbetween to stop the knocking all the paint off

Anyone beat that

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

XL 29er HT here in a Fiesta with just front wheel off, back seats folded though.

*Awaiting usual STW smart arse that appears on these threads that will claim to of fitted in 4 x DH bikes, 2 weeks worth of luggage and 4 6ft+ 15 stone blokes in a Fiat Cinquecento that went to Morzine and back*

cokie

Back seats folded- Full sus 29er with front wheel off and rear wheel on fits in. Drivers seat half back and passanger seat almost fully back. This is in the Polo 6c, so current shape.

prawny

Cant imagine it would be that hard, used to get a road bike in the back of a Ka with the front wheel off.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a current gen polo, fitted a 26″ FS wheels off in the back plus luggage for two for a trip to Switzerland last year and will be taking a 29er hardtail this year in the same manner. Just drop the seats there is plenty of space.

mat8246
    Free Member

3 men and 3 bikes in a Mk3 Fiesta with the wheels off.

ste_t
    Free Member

Latest generation, 2 bikes with wheels off no stress. Would comfortably fit another.

I did manage to pick up the official roof bars off ebay for £25, so worth keeping an eye out for a similar bargain.

matt_outandabout

Ibiza estate here (polo underneath) and my large HT goes in flat without front wheel, back seats down. Both wheels and saddle off, it goes in boot alone.

jamj1974

Ibiza hatch – 2 bikes and 2 blokes with front wheels off in Duff Bike Bags.

Edric64
    Free Member

Used to get two MTBs in a Talbot Samba

vondally
    Free Member

Yes wheel off and in but did the same with a vw lupo

retro83
    Free Member

4 men and 5 bikes in a Mk2 Fiesta with the wheels on.

cokie

4 men and 5 bikes in a Mk2 Fiesta with the wheels on.

😯

stumpy01

noncycler – Member

2x mtbs fit in any polo with wheels on easily

Wheels on, no way.

My last car was a previous generation Ibiza, so potentially the same chassis as the OP’s Polo depending on how old it is.

2 bikes, all wheels off with sheets/cardboard between the bikes to protect them & a couple of bags of kit thrown in, is perfectly do-able.

I’ve had 3 bikes in the back of my older Fiesta without too much bother (again, bikes with wheels off – stack frames with protection between & then wheels on top in bags), but that was when taking a second car that carried all our bags/kit.

I built a stand for my bike to put it in the back of the car vertically, with wheels off & seatpost out. There was then loads of room for kit & you only had to drop part of the rear seat.
    We did manage once to get two bikes in like this by lashing another frame to mine with bungee cords, but I wouldn’t want to regularly do that.

stumpy01

Now Photoucket is playing ball – here are a couple of images of the bike holder I mentioned above…
    Just a board with a QR at the front mounted through a block & two wooden blocks at the back to lash the chainstays stays to with a webbing strap. It was meant as a quick trial to see if it worked & then I was going to upgrade to the ‘proper’ one. But, that one works so well, it hardly seems worth the time & expense to make something better.

benp1

We got 3 blokes and 3 blokes’ worth of walking kit in a Toyota Aygo courtesy car, it was absolutely rammed full.

It was also hilarious trying to keep it at motorway speeds!

globalti
    Free Member

Last week I saw one solitary bloke driving a Passat estate with a bike on the roof.

Why?

benp1

Ummmm, I used to do that (different car though)

It’s quicker and easier to lob a bike on the room than stick it in the car, nothing to get muddy either

Also don’t have to remove anything (from car or bike), including child seats on rear seats etc etc

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

19 years ago I used to fit 2x26ers across the back seat with wheels out, seat posts down and the sitting cushion up to the was a touch more head room. I doubt it would be as easy with big bars and wheels these days.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Does any carry their bike inside a VW Polo?’ is closed to new replies.