Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Does an Email count as in writing?
  • Wookster

Or is it in the post???

peterfile
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re talking about.

Some t&cs/contracts will specifically say whether email is deemed to be “in writing”.

Fairly recent changes to the law in respect of how contracts are actually concluded means that we can now do it by email.

If in doubt, email and send a hard copy in the post.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Handing in notice? I do it on paper. Feels better. Plus you can’t lightly wipe your arse on an email…

If you’ve signed up to something ‘to good to be true’, writing, they want to make it as difficult as possible for you quit it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

e-mail a threat to a high ranking police officers

Pretty sure this way you will find out the legal status of them

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Absolutely. Emails are legally binding, so be careful what you write.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The thing with e-mails is it is far harder to prove receipt than with physical media. Yes, the e-mail was read, but can you prove who by?

If it’s important, Recorder Signed For Royal Mail or courier delivered and signed for letter.

Wookster

LoL nothing severe just a speculative application for a dream job, the advert is apply “in writing” and their email is on there so Ive emailed across. Never gonna happen but the thoughts made me smile as Id love it!

scotroutes

Failed at the first hurdle then

plyphon
    Free Member

unklehomered
    Free Member

Maybe he showed he’s a maverick who’s not tied down by convention thinking and the accepted limitations of an out of date work interface, someone who seeks a streamlined, and maximised solution to realised the potential of his reward-to-input achievement ratio and-

oh, I just made myself throw up a little bit in my own mouth…

edward2000
    Free Member

Too lazy to write a letter…. Stand out from the crowd, write them a letter and use the most expensive paper you can adfford. I did a few years back and im still in the job i applied for. Albeit it wasn’t quite (read no way near) my dream job.

Wookster

So to sum up then…..

Don’t write threatening emails, and yes I should drop a copy in the post as well ?? 😀

ajantom

On the other hand some (in fact many) schools prefer applications to be sent via email nowadays.
    Makes it easier to make multiple copies for management, legibility isn’t an issue, and saves everyone money.
    I got my current job at an outstanding school via email.

allthepies
    Free Member

<sniffs unklehomered’s resignation letter>

Drac

All our job applications have been online for about 8 years now so need to waste money on expensive paper thinking it’ll make a difference.

scotroutes

Does your HR dept ask for applications in writing or via email?

Drac

Online.

Edric64
    Free Member

Dad used to bin without reading job applications on lined paper.

Cougar

I don’t think I’d want to work for a company so dependent on paper that they can only process job applications if they’re written down and posted. Sounds a bit 20th Century to me.

scotroutes

Not really helping the OP much then? 😆

Drac

True it’s more of a point of interest of how things are moving on. So how helpful was your comment?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Online.

So, not an answer to the OP’s question.

@the OP, depending on the job type, you might be advised to send a printed letter, with handwritten signature with a CV. This is what I would take “in writing” to mean. Is there an email or postal address on the advertisement?

scotroutes

I agree that’s the way things are /should be going. My comment seems to have helped prompt the OP into applying in writing as was requested.

Drac

So, not an answer to the OP’s question.

See above.

I agree that’s the way things are /should be going. My comment seems to have helped prompt the OP into applying in writing as was requested.

Let’s hope they don’t want an email or use online.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

See above.

I was writing at the same time as scotroutes was obviously.

So see:

not an answer to the OP’s question.

Because it wasn’t.

Moses

IMHO, “in writing” now means “as opposed to a phone call”.
    An application by email will be read by more people than the posted version, which will get to HR then binned, because they can’t forward it to the line managers.

So the answer is Yes.

Drac

See above. It was a point of interest. 😀

scotroutes

In which case, wouldn’t they have asked for that rather than in writing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it will depend on whatever is given as the address in the advertisement. If postal, then written. If email, then by email. If both, then I’d probably do email.

scotroutes

Ah – maybe I’m out of the loop but I’ve never heard of anyone submitting a job application by telephone.

Wookster

Thanks chaps!

Both email and postal address were given! Ah well, wish me luck! 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Does an Email count as in writing?’ is closed to new replies.