Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • does all High Street banks (HSBC) accepts cash deposits?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

someone paying me for my van for sale tomorrow for 7k+ in £20 notes in my local HSBC High Street bank but the last time I went about odd 6mos ago, I don’t seem to remember they have “bank tellers” (lady in the glass window who accept and check notes /monies) that branch.

Northwind

£7000 is a lot in notes for a titchy branch- I worked for a while in a little non-business one with no high cash facility, biggest allowed deposit was a grand just because it had to go through the automatic cash eater. Though in practice we could get round that. And some branches now are barely any more than a cash machine, an envelope drop and a salesman.

So I would check ahead personally. A decent sized retail branch ought to be able to deal, though

Cougar

I’d expect them to want photo ID too.

Surely that’s the buyer’s problem, though?

Northwind

Yeah, money laundering rules have changed since then, but that could be enough to raise a challenge.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

thanks for the input dudes.. that is what i am thinking as well, told the buyer thatwe just do bank transfer for quicker and less hassle but he is not confident showing his bank details 😐 … or maybe he just got loads of £20 notes as he owns vending machine business whatever that do… i just found out where the main HSBC with old school people that deals with customers as well just next to our High St. ..Hope all goes well.

bensales
    Free Member

Did similar in my Halifax recently, they’ve still got a couple of teller desks though. Went to the bank with the buyer, he gave me £12k, straight to the desk and paid it in, so the bank did all the currency checking for me. Then I gave him the V5, keys, and a receipt whilst in the bank. They asked what it was from, I pointed to the buyer and said “He’s just bought a car from me”. Easy peasy.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

thanks bensales that is what I am planning to do as well, by chance you knew if balance shows straightaway online?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mad suggestion in know, but why not nip in and ask in the bank? 😉

bensales
    Free Member

thanks bensales that is what I am planning to do as well, by chance you knew if balance shows straightaway online?

For proof you’ve received the money? Wouldn’t worry. If a bank teller has accepted the cash, its there and yours and can’t be reversed. The bank is the one taking responsibility if its fake as its their teller that’s counted it.

Using a machine in the bank to deposit will be different mind.

Cougar

Doesn’t trust bank transfers and walks around town with seven grand in used bills? He’s a stone bonker, I’d be finding another buyer.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I sold a car a few months back and had trouble paying the cash in.
    I managed it in the end but it wasn’t easy.
    They also took photo-copy evidence of where the cash had come from – I had to give them a copy of the Autotrader ad – so be prepared for that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘does all High Street banks (HSBC) accepts cash deposits?’ is closed to new replies.