Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Does advertising work?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just seen an ad on the telly. A squirrel in a jet pack flying to the airwolf theme. No idea what it was advertising though.

Drac

Seen that last night briefly, some sort of breakfast bar I think.

tiggs121
    Free Member

it does work. A good advert will sell anything!

shortyj15

Must work as we’re talking about it

Northwind

It does, I picked up a dead squirrel on the way to work and now I’m ebay shopping for little jet engines

theotherjonv

Good question. Anyone seen the Sure Motion sense adverts on ITV in between cycling, with little beads bursting as your gooey armpits rub together. Does that really work?

binners

I’ve started a petition for it to be government policy that all squirells should have their own jetpacks

wwaswas

TJ to the Thread! TJ to the Thread!

Oh.

convert

I think the most telling thing about TV ads is what is says about you – the ads they put on for the TV you choose the watch must say something about who they think you are. Like a free psychometric test. The ones they seem to be focussing on for the ITV4 tour de France live coverage make me want to top myself if that’s what I’ve become.

mogrim

I’ve started a petition for it to be government policy that all squirells should have their own jetpacks

Surely if squirrels start relying on jetpacks to leap from branch-to-branch that will only lead to an increase in obesity with all the health problems associated? And the burden on the NHS?

BigDummy
    Free Member

At TdF time, I always find myself wanting a Skoda. I haven’t bought one, and still can’t drive. But it’s definitely my preferred car.

🙂

footflaps

And the burden on the NHS?

Not really, all Squirrels are now required required to pay nuts into their own benefit fund, as the state Squirrel service has been closed down due to too much Squirrel nut tourism from foreign Squirrels coming over here and clogging up our trees.

sandwicheater

Yep, TDF time has me wanting to kick that bearded wiggle twunt in the slats and eat all his pudding. Clearly that’s what they are trying to get across, violence is ace or some such.

globalti
    Free Member

Advertising has to be backed up with the right price and distribution. It would be no good advertising a new perfume on TV and in magazines if it was too widely available and too cheap, as nobody would believe it was any good.

brooess
    Free Member

Of course it does. Especially online and mobile where you can track serving the ad right through to the pages you view on the site, and what you buy…
    With digital in particular you can personalise and test, test and test again till it’s working at it’s optimum level. In fact, effectiveness of digital advertising is probably one of the most measurable things on the planet
    Return on investment is massive when you get it right.

IMO people who think advertising doesn’t work don’t understand how it works, or their own psychology

footflaps

Of course it does. Especially online and mobile where you can track serving the ad right through to the pages you view on the site, and what you buy…

Only for people who don’t know how to disable ads on browsers. Not seen an ad in years. Even on the iPhone I just read Web pages in Reader view and don’t get bothered by ads.

andyrm
    Free Member

^^As Brooess says, with the added aspect that further up the sales funnel is display advertising (whether print, outdoor, on vehicle, transport etc) to sell a story, create general awareness and start to build desire.

Advertising absolutely works. Always makes me laugh when I hear people say things like “when I want something, I will look for it” – if advertising in some form or other hadn’t worked to some extent, you wouldn’t even know you wanted it.

convert

With digital in particular you can personalise and test, test and test again till it’s working at it’s optimum level. In fact, effectiveness of digital advertising is probably one of the most measurable things on the planet

Am I weird then if I have never, ever clicked on an advert on a webpage? All that stuff that some of you paupers have over -> and <- ; never clicked on it. Or is it just that the advert was on a page I once visited and then at some point in the future I buy said product enough to track me?

wwaswas

footflaps flirting with the ban hammer there…

doris5000
    doris5000

ALSO

i never click on ads, but yesterday i actually clicked on one on the STW site. Because i was genuinely interested.

Where do i claim my £5?

bigblackshed

I’ve just seen an ad on the telly. A squirrel in a jet pack flying to the airwolf theme. No idea what it was advertising though.

I saw that too. Instantly recognised the Airwolf theme, The Wife’s going “Oh, what’s that music from?” Quick YoutubeFoo, playing a trailer, Wife goes “Oh, I used to like Jan Michael Vincent when I was 14”

Have a search for his life story. It’s full of alcohol, intravenous drug use, multiple marriages with alleged domestic violence, car crashes he can’t remember. Add in:

his right leg was amputated just below the knee in 2012 after he contracted a leg infection as a result of complications from peripheral artery disease

Sorry, wandered off track a bit there. 😳

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Not really, all Squirrels are now required required to pay nuts into their own benefit fund,

Now you’re just being silly. Everyone knows if they paid nuts they’d get monkeys not a benefit fund, and the knock on of more monkeys would be increased tree crowding in the long run. This is just one of those looks-like-a-good-way-to-tackle-a-popular-issue-but-causes-more-problems-but-we’ll-let-the-next-government-deal with-the-inevitable-fallout-while-we-hammer-them-about-the-issues-we-created-from-opposition policies isn’t it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not seen an ad in years

do you live in a cave cut off from all media channels?

convert

do you live in a cave cut off from all media channels?

He means online. I understand there are these addons….that I would never ever use……

brooess
    Free Member

Am I weird then if I have never, ever clicked on an advert on a webpage? All that stuff that some of you paupers have over -> and <- ; never clicked on it. Or is it just that the advert was on a page I once visited and then at some point in the future I buy said product enough to track me?

AFAIK if you click, it will track you from there. If you don’t click it won’t track a future purchase of that product, but even seeing the ad will have made you aware the product exists.

If you use Google to research a product or find a store (on or offline) then you’re using digital marketing. Ever noticed how you go onto Wiggle and then you get repeated Wiggle ads served for the next few hours? Tracking your wider web behaviour and targeting ads appropriate to what you’ve already shown you’re interested in

brooess
    Free Member

Not seen an ad in years

Ever used Google search? Ever seen the paid ads at the top of the page?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you think they spend so much money on it?

You’re not the only clever person in the world, you know.

convert

Ever noticed how you go onto Wiggle and then you get repeated Wiggle ads served for the next few hours?

Well I would if some rascal hadn’t installed a nasty plugin to my browser. Apart from the stuff at the top of the google search of course which I still see. But weirdly I’ve noticed I subconsciously ignore the top ‘sponsored’ hits on a google search as without really thinking about it I automatically assume they will be poor value for money.

BigDummy
    Free Member

if advertising in some form or other hadn’t worked to some extent, you wouldn’t even know you wanted it.

I accept that, as long as the “some extent” includes “worked on someone else so that they bought the thing that is now making them look cool” and “some form” includes endorsements and press reviews.

I think the choices of my peers or role models work much more effectively in selling me stuff than straight-up telling me I should want things.

🙂

brooess
    Free Member

But weirdly I’ve noticed I subconsciously ignore the top ‘sponsored’ hits on a google search as without really thinking about it I automatically assume they will be poor value for money.

How can you consciously subconsciously ignore something? 😀
    Do you think if they were ineffective, that marketing people would spend £millions on them?

I think the choices of my peers or role models work much more effectively in selling me stuff than straight-up telling me I should want things.

Noticed how Amazon have become quite successful? Remember who pioneered online peer reviews? Marketers know word of mouth is incredibly influential, but we didn’t know how to use it en masse for years, and then came online reviews and social media and life suddenly got a lot better 🙂

doris5000

but why did they buy the stuff?

it’s a pretty complex web – your first point is v pertinent. Magazines are full of news items or reviews that are basically adverts, and ppl rarely admit to buying something because of hype/fashion. Even if they were aware of it anyway (although fashion and hype are totally what drive most ‘hobby’ industries like MTBing, and magazines can often be little more than cheerleaders for their particular industry).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are we really talking about advertising When I started this thread, I really wanted it to be about squirrels in jetpacks flying around to classic tv themes.

convert

How can you consciously subconsciously ignore something?

I have consciously noticed a previously subconscious behaviour pattern 🙂 i.e. I’ve been doing it for years but only just noticed that I do it.

Do you think if they were ineffective, that marketing people would spend £millions on them?

I’ve no doubt you’re right, I just doubt we are all susceptible in the same way or respond similarly to advertising. My initial comment was regarding yours on online advertising and the data and fine tuning that can be achieved. I’ve no real idea (I guess the data must be out there) but I’d suggest those that click on online ads are not totally representative of the whole population. I think of the them as the gullible tip of an iceberg – the ones that must be a marketing mans dream. Some of us (most of us) are being manipulated but need far more subtle messages to make a difference to our behaviour.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m involved in web-tracking development at work, and it’s rather scary what we can slurp up through Social Login… (i.e. what people are willing to give away for free)

We take data from 20 different social media platforms and create a very accurate picture of our clients “target audience” for marketing.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Spotify, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Gigya…. (anything related to the music industry).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, but perhaps not in the way people think it does.

The days of a man in a white lab coat or suit holding a box of Washing Powder and say “buy this, it’s the best” are over, it’s about brand association and almost subliminal programming now.

Cadbury gave up actually trying to sell their goods years ago, they make 90 second films now, the Gorilla playing the drums, the Guy in the Xmas jumper dancing along to “I can boogie” are there to entertain us, they’re pretty good too (at least the first few times) and they’re heavily laced with their signature purple colour and ends with a full screen shot of their logo – they don’t ask you buy any of their array of goods or tell you how good they are – it seems almost pointless – but your brain stores away all the information because you were receptive to it, because it was entertaining. It won’t make you get up and go to the shops to buy a bar, but next time you’re waiting at the till in Tesco or whatever and you see that purple and the logo it ‘pings’ in your brain – you might think it’s entirely your own idea to buy one, but you’ve been influenced by the ad.

molgrips
    Free Member

straight-up telling me I should want things.

That’s not what advertising does, mostly. It tells you about things that you might think are cool. It then generally tries to make you think it’s cool. But sometimes subtly and in a reverse psychological way. Like VW’s simple newspaper ads. A picture of a car with a price – can’t get simpler than that, can you? Or can you? By being obviously simple it’s appealing to people who pride themselves on not being susceptible to bollocks; and by making a point that the car is surprisingly cheap, the implication is that it’s a higher value product to begin with and it’s actually noteworthy that it’s no more expensive than a Nissan or whatever.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m involved in web-tracking development at work, and it’s rather scary what we can slurp up through Social Login… (i.e. what people are willing to give away for free)

We take data from 20 different social media platforms and create a very accurate picture of our clients “target audience” for marketing.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Spotify, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, Gigya…. (anything related to the music industry).

On a related note, HMRC are now catching tax avoiders by looking at suspiciously low reported income and then studying all their social and other online behaviour. Reported income of £20k and driving a Porsche Cayenne and taking 3 foreign holidays a year? You’re nicked…

Big Brother but in a good kind of a way.

Few people IMO are aware of how much of their online and mobile behaviour is being captured and then used for targeting marketing and for tracking effectiveness…

The days of a man in a white lab coat or suit holding a box of Washing Powder and say “buy this, it’s the best” are over, it’s about brand association and almost subliminal programming now

It’s changed, yes, but not as much as you think. The man in the coat was a figure of authority (we deferred to authority much more in the 50’s and 60’s than we do now) so the use of that man was association with someone who knows what’s best for you and who you trust.
    As society has become more individualistic we now trust and associate with strangers in our peer group more than we trust figures of authority, so user reviews and social media are the new tools of marketing…

It’s still marketing by association, but an association with a different group of people. The essential element of brand positioning, conditioning by association is based on the work done in 1901 by Ivan Pavlov and the essential techniques of marketing haven’t changed since then, probably because human psychology hasn’t either… hence my view that people who think they’re not influenced by marketing are basically misunderstanding their own psychology…

roper
    Free Member

What is this advertising you speak of?

sent from my Ipad.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Like you just stepped out of a salloh-oh-on. SALON SELECTIVES.

(takes a while with me but it gets there)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Does advertising work?’ is closed to new replies.