• This topic has 41 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • does a refund void a warranty?
  • Pook

We’ve bought a change table when we had our first born. It has a chest of drawers on it which have constantly dropped bearings from their runners. We’ve had replacements from the company, under warranty, about four times. Anyway, it’s been getting stupid – we’ve got oily marks on the carpet and the drawers are always bust thanks to these crap runners.

As such, we’ve asked for, and had, a full refund. We’ve also still got the drawers as a goodwill gesture.

Lo and behold, the runners have bust again.

I’ve hunted for runners all over to get them fixed myself, but can’t find any that will do the job.

Are the company still obliged to provide warranty replacement parts despite giving me a refund? I’m fully expecting them to tell me to whistle but would like to know the law around it

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that by accepting a refund you’re on your own as you’ve effectively had the table for free. I don’t know many companies that would provide ongoing warranty on something they’ve made no money on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id bet on them refunding you nd you got to keep the drawers purely to prevent them having to dispose of them.

Ergo the refund has canceled your contract and your now on your own.

You my be able to buy some runners from them although ill be surprised if they are anything special , try cabinet makers and ironmongry direct places like that , not bnq.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Setting as you haven’t paid anything, and you seem to be thinking it will never work, why don’t you buy a different one?

br
    Free Member

I can’t even believe that anyone would ask this question… 🙄

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

What a cheeky fuc- …! . “Take a running jump” I suspect is what they’ll think but give you a polite “No”.
    Unbelievable!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Are you taking this piss?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I am disappoint Pook 😥

gobuchul
    Free Member

Are you taking this piss?

^This +10.

I think you should phone them up and let us know what happens.

iolo
    Free Member

This wins the question of the decade.
    Do you honestly think they will do anything else now you’ve had a full refund?
    Really?
    Chop it up. Put it in your log burner. Free fuel.
    And go out and get a decent one.

Pook

So it’s a ‘no’ then.

My you’re an angry bunch this morning. To reiterate the question everyone bar blazing-saddles and trail rat has ignored in favour of flaming

I’ve hunted for runners all over to get them fixed myself, but can’t find any that will do the job.
    Are the company still obliged to provide warranty replacement parts despite giving me a refund? I’m fully expecting them to tell me to whistle but would like to know the law around it

martinhutch

I’m sure you could pay them for replacement parts. The refund effectively voids your initial contract, warranty and all, regardless or not of whether you still have possession of the table.

Besides, if it’s that shite a product, chances are it’ll break again quickly anyway, so why not just buy a decent one?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ll change my initial question to a statement seeing as you are not getting it. You are taking the piss.

gobuchul
    Free Member

would like to know the law around it

It’s pretty obvious.

You entered into to a contract for the company to supply you a change table and you gave them some money.

The change table did not work correctly. They tried to rectify but it was still unfit for purpose. The money was refunded to you. This was the end of the contract. You put back to the position before you bought the table.The only reason they didn’t get the table back was that it would of cost them more money than what it was worth to them.

The fact that you are still using it would suggest that it wasn’t that bad that you deserved a full refund. Did you exaggerate the problems with it?

Why would you have to ask?

Pook

Edit: ^ that answer covers it. Money back ends contract. Fine. Despite the bit about you suggesting I’m exaggerating the problems with it, but I’ll let that pass as the bit in the run up to that was useful. Cheers.

Wankmankylung – Why exactly? All I want to know is the whether they are obliged to as their refund was as goodwill.

You’re very angry for something so insignificant to your life

gobuchul
    Free Member

You’re very angry for something so insignificant.

Not angry. Bored on a slow Saturday morning. 🙄

Struggling to understand how anyone would think there is any kind of obligation for a company to continue to give you stuff when you have not given them any money.

You have got a crappy item for free. You have done far better in the deal.

A symptom of the current complaining consumer culture?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You seriously need to ask why you are taking the piss? You sir are the perfect illustration of why the world is ****.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Why do you want more runners that you think are so poor, and are causing damage (the oil on the carpet) to your stuff? I just don’t get it…

It’s a fair assumption that you were asking for a reason, like, maybe you would think about asking them?

Pook

So, so angry.

Simple answer to the question would have been, “no, the contract ends on the refund so they have no obligation”. To which my response would have been, ” thought so”

I fully expect them to tell me to whistle

But hey, why simply answer the question when you can throw in a dollop of self righteous indignation.

And wanmankylung, get some perspective you drama queen. I’d put Isis using 12 year old boys to shoot political prisoners in the more perfect illustration bracket than a bloke in sheffield asking where consumer rights apply on a refund and warranty issue.

But thank you stw. Question answered.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

No I’m not, I’m incredulous! It angers me that you think I am angry… Oh bugger… 😉 <– just to clarify my state of anger.

nealglover
    Free Member

would like to know the law around it

Are you seriously saying, you couldn’t work that out for yourself ? 😯

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Clearly, and you can of course see it in it’s obvious glory (as it’s so sodding obvious) you’ve assumed something of the role in the “current complaining consumer culture”. So nicely phrased by the person posting as ‘gobuchul’.
    Now, apologise for being a numpty for even thinking about asking the question, least of all asking it and everybody (hopefully) will move on.
    Continue to try and defend your original position as something of participant of the current complaining consumer culture and you’ll continue to present yourself as something of a self entitled, greedy, profiteering bafoon.
    Just for the record. I’m not angry in the least. Saddened? A little as it’s a reflection of some of the more trivial yet frustrating aspects of modern western life.
    Your chance to put your contribution right.

gobuchul
    Free Member

cyclepathologist – Now that is harsh. Harsh but fair.

Quite elegantly put I must say! 🙂

RustyMac

Instead of replacing the runners like for like (seems like the ones they had specked are pants anyway) could you replace them with wood or perspex just as something for the shelf to slide on.

Granted the operation may not be a smooth but there would be nothing to fall apart and make a mess.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

But hey, why simply answer the question when you can throw in a dollop of self righteous indignation.

This is STW, you know, what did you expect? 😆

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I fully expect them to tell me to whistle

I think the thing that’s got some folk so irate is what you imply:

I would like to know the law around it

You appear to be saying that, although you don’t expect any joy, if you could get free stuff by somehow manipulating consumer law, you gladly would. It’s the seemingly mercenary, exploitative aspect of your question that has folk in a froth. To be fair, you’re not leaving a good impression of yourself.

Pook

I’m not suggesting manipulating customer law!! Far from it. I am curious to know the actual legal standpoint for an item still being under warranty/guarantee regardless of whether an a. Refund, or b. Goodwill payment back is made.

Let’s boil it right down – does a guarantee still stand after a company gives a refund for an item but says keep it?

I don’t intend to exploit a situation. Just curious.

Yes, I do accept ive asked a numpty question for it. I don’t think it warrants the level of abuse I’ve received here, like, but there you go.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pook

To clarify: I am not going to ask them to replace the runners. They don’t work, it would be pointless.

I am just curious. No-one has yet given the definitive legal standpoint.

martinhutch

I’m just angry that you thanked gobuchul but not me, even though he insinuated you were some kind of would-be fraudster.

Can I get a refund on my advice please? 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Just one more think Mr Pook, would you mind explaining why you mentioned the carpet?

*raises eyebrow theatrically*

Pook

The little bearings in the runners fall out and leave oily stains on it. In thinking that it was, initially, a single faulty runner, this was one of the reasons we went back to the company initially for a replacement part.

Rorschach
    Free Member

why you mentioned the carpet?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQLP1dj_t8[/video]

Pook

Wu.

Drac

No pudding for you.

thehustler
    Free Member

On accepting a refund the companies cotractual obligation to you was completed, if you wanted to ask for any recompense re your carpet ths needed to be raised/agreed before the refund was accepted……..sorry.

Now the good news, ballbearing runners are generally ‘inset’ so measure the size of inset, the pop down to your local DIY place buy a piece of batton of simillar (but slightly smaller)cross section and a candle with your refund, measure twice cut once and make your own runners you will then have a perfectly servicable unit for a much reduced cost!

With the balance you should also be able to buy something to remove any ‘stains’ on the carpet 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

You should really be asking for another refund if they still don’t work…

Pook

Hustler – thank you. Just what I needed to hear. Very helpful and informative.

Cheers.

Move along now folks.

nealglover
    Free Member

I am just curious. No-one has yet given the definitive legal standpoint.

You are no longer a customer of the company.

You haven’t bought anything from them, so you have nothing to apply a warranty to.

cb

I think some of the abuse that you have received is due to shock as you appear otherwise to be a fairly normal rational character…and on here that makes you stand out from the crowd a little! It did sound a bit like you wanted to get more runners from them but you have said that this isn’t the case.

However, the upshot is that they have supplied you with goods to perform a function even though effectively they ended up being free of charge. I don’t think contractually there is any requirement to charge a certain amount for a certain thing? Unless they have T&Cs that explicitly state that a refund ends their contract and you have that in writing (a receipt for example) then I suspect there remains a duty of care on their part – should you wish to pursue your oily carpet for example. Them letting you keep the drawers was probably a cost saving excercise as someone else pointed out.

I agree with you in that there is more to this than originally met the eye although from a general point of view than the drawer runners. If it had collapsed and your kid hurt for instance…how would a refund have exonerated them from their responsibilities to sell safe products for example.

EDIT – of course IANAL – thoughts rather than facts…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘does a refund void a warranty?’ is closed to new replies.