Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does a Mountain King 2 size up same as a Trail King?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Looking for some new 29er rubber, cant deceide if to go 2.2 or 2.4 on the conti’s. Problem is big tyres like my 2.35 hans dampf tend to roll a bit on arch ex rims so was thinking 2.2 mountain king front, however i’ve read there a bit narrow for the front?
    I seen the 2.4 trail kings and they are massive and will be too wide, are 2.4 mk’s the same ?

adsh
    Free Member

A 2.2 MK is narrow enough I treat it as a dedicated mud tyre. I’ve not measured it but it looks to be like a 2.1 on a Crest. A 2.4 MK is more like a 2.25 but again I’ve not measured it. I have measured a 2.4 X king and it’s 2.25 on a Crest (and looks similar to the 2.4 MK)

A 2.2 Trailking looks like a 2.2

Conti make great tyres – I just wish they’d not lie about the sizing!

hatter

I recently went from running 2.4 MK’s on a 19mm internal rim (Mavic Crossmax) to a 24 mm internal (DT Swiss XMC’s) and whilst they woirked ‘fine’ on the Crossmaxes the difference in grip and general handling when I switched to the wider rims was genuninely impressive.

My personal advice would be go for the 2.4’s but start saving for wider rims as your next upgrade.

chiefgrooveguru

2.4 MK2 is the same size carcass as a 2.2 TK. I’ve spent a lot of time on the 2.2 Trail Kings and had a few days riding on the 2.4 Mountain King 2 and apart from rolling a bit faster on tarmac I could find no upside to them. Worse traction, worse braking, worse cornering and no faster on dirt. I’d go 2.2 Trail King Protection. I’m selling some on ebay but the wrong wheel size for you!

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers guys good advice all round, pretty much what I thought.
    Ill go 2.4 mk front and 2.4 xking rear I think, wanting something fast rolling.
    But will consider the TK 2.2 front as an option, have to check if they have it as I’ve got £75 credit to spend at the canyon online store and they are all on offer there at £25 ish, black chilli too.
    Would love some wider rims on it but its a 2nd bike and cant justify spending a lot on it at the mo.
    Cheers.

Yetiman
    Free Member

As above. I’ve run both in 2.4 29er size and the MK’s do come up narrower than TK’s. The MK’s were on my hardtail on 19mm Mavic rims and I don’t recall any issues with them running 30ish psi rear and high twenties front, they certainly weren’t balloon like, although I only used them for a few rides before going back to my preferred tyre combo. If it helps here’s a pic of them on my Bigwig.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Yep they look spot on, I think the arch ex’s are 21mm internal so somewhere between yours.
    I like running tyres low pressure but find they roll badly on arch’s, maybe sometime I’ll treat myself to some arc 30s or xm481’s.
    I quite fancy a big wig as a winter bike and get rid of the 29 full sus, nice looking bikes, new ones take 650b+ too ……….tempting to try it……..then the rim / tyre debate starts over again……its never ending argrrhhh.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does a Mountain King 2 size up same as a Trail King?’ is closed to new replies.