Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does a Mini make a good cheap runabout?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

The sister-in-law has just passed her test, and is looking at a Mini One as a first car. Around 10 years old, £1800ish range.

I don’t really know anything about them. They are plentiful, so that’s a good sign, i imagine…?

funkrodent

No idea. But you can pick up a first generation Ford Focus for peanuts nowadays (£500ish for one with less than 100k if you shop around) and they are superb cars. The mechanics choice. Currently running two and they’re faultless.

superhooper

10 years old would be on the border of a Mk1 and Mk2. For running cost go for a Mk2 if possible. The Mk1 I believe had a Crysler engine which wasn’t that efficient. The Mk2 was much better. I have had 2 Mk1 Minis (Cooper and Cooper S) and a Mk2 (Cooper S JCW) and despite the JCW being more powerful it was also the most fuel efficient car I have ever owned!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

a Mk2 (Cooper S JCW) and despite the JCW being more powerful it was also the most fuel efficient car I have ever owned!

What are they like to own? Reliable, comfy, etc?

superhooper

What are they like to own? Reliable, comfy, etc?

Reliable – Again Mk2 was better than Mk1 for me. Had a few things go wrong with my Cooper S (steering pump, exhaust manifold). Mk2 I only had for a couple of years but had no problems with it.

Comfy – I can’t speak for a One. They are generally pretty firm, especially with run flats which they come with as standard. Seats were pretty supportive though.

Other things – Great fun to drive if that is your thing. More practical than some people think. I managed a few trips to the Alps for mountain biking with them no problem.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I managed a few trips to the Alps for mountain biking with them no problem.

Is there room for a bike in the back or is it a roof job?
    I’m thinking of the estate version, whatever it’s called, and there are a couple of JCWs available locally. Worth a premium over the S?

finishthat
    Free Member

No – money pits – lots to go wrong and goes wrong – fine if you can fix stuff yourself and do preventative work.

andysredmini
    Free Member

We had a 51 plate Cooper S. It had the 17 inch wheels that made it crashy and bumpy and it followed lines in the road like a train. It was really thirsty but Christ it was fun. We sold it when lots of expensive things would of needed changing in the near future. Stuff like bushings that required the rear sub frame to come out. Check the advisorys on the old mot certificates online before you buy.

superhooper

Is there room for a bike in the back or is it a roof job?

Yes if you fold the back seats down. This was in a 3Dr hatch. No problem with the Clubman (estate).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Great little car. Pick careful as repairs can be expensive. Mk1 engine in thirsty. Mk2 version is considered better. Yes – you can get two bikes in the back with only front wheel off. Have to push front passenger seat all the way forward though! Great if you are on your own.

Both wheels off two bikes and a passenger can come too!

craigxxl
    Free Member

My wife had the R56 Cooper S. The suspension was very firm, whilst good for throwing the car about any long trip was literally a pain in the butt. It wasn’t a very well built car either. Known problems are their ability to drink oil, any thing over 1 litre per 500 miles isn’t a problem apparently even if it is expensive to keep in premium oil. The cylinder head also cokes up creating misfires. Unfortunately the wife’s car had both these issues hence why we got rid and wouldn’t touch another.
    BMW 1 series is a much better car or just look at a Fiesta.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does a Mini make a good cheap runabout?’ is closed to new replies.