Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Does a Jaguar make a good biking car?
  • gmex619
    Free Member

I bought a Jaguar.. X Type saloon. Aiming at better economy than my 2.0l Mondeo Petrol that got 22MPG average! Not good for me when my job is Driving..

So I bought myself a Jaguar on the understanding it’s more economical, reliable and generally better as a car. Plus it pulls like a train!

I’ll be doing alot of miles and I will be carrying a bike in the boot sometimes. Don’t mind folding the rear seats down as that’s what I did with the Mondeo. But is it a good riders car aswell as a drivers car? Or did I pitch and miss when aiming for riding?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saloon? Not a bike car.

Edric64
    Free Member

So you changed a Mondeo for a car based on …a Mondeo ?

legend
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Saloon? Not a bike car.

This

bearnecessities

Isn’t the X-type a Mondeo?

gmex619
    Free Member

Essentially but it was the 2.5V6 engine that was a part of the appeal. I’ve blown 2 of the I4 engines in Mondeos. A 1.8 and a 2.0 but I enjoy the feel of a Mondeo too drive. Hence the side-grade.

gmex619
    Free Member

Also I got 1 bike in very easily too my Mondeo. Multiple XC bikes and a DH bike.. so I’m not worried about boot space too much. It was more a question on the sensibility of it. Biking if needs be I can get a rack. It was the driving milage-comfort level that I wasn’t too sure about.

bensales
    Free Member

I get a bike in my XF saloon. It’s be a bit of a hassle though, both wheels off.

gmex619
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve always had too take both wheels off in both of my cars. So I’m used too it. 🙂

Do X types carry a bag of Golf clubs in the boot too? As it’s something I occasionally do in my spare time.

legend
    Free Member

gmex619 – Member
    Essentially but it was the 2.5V6 engine that was a part of the appeal.

The same 2.5 V6 that you get in………. a Mondeo?

edlong
    Free Member

Is a 2.5 petrol really going to be more economical than a 2.0 petrol?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What you really need is one of these. In V12 flavour.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eventer? Classy call, McM!

eskay

If it is a saloon you will soon get cheesed off with it for carting bikes around (I did).

TheGingerOne

Must have been something wrong with your Mondeo to only get 22MPG out of it!!

tthew

Ah c’mon guys. Is a 2.5, V6 X type going to be more economical AND a better biking car than a 2.0l Mondeo?

matt_outandabout

the 2.5V6 engine that was a part of the appeal

I’ve blown 2 of the I4 engines in Mondeos

22MPG average

it pulls like a train

The force right foot is strong with this one.
    😀

Northwind

If you want a mondeo but you don’t want a blue oval on it, then the x-type is ace. 2.2 diesel would have made more sense though.

hot_fiat

Seriously, is this a troll?

If you want to make any progress at all, you’ll struggle to get 22mpg from a 2.5v6 x-type. I doubt it’d do that if towed while idling. The 4×4 system alone adds 250kg to the mondo drive train and that v6 (it’s from Mazda originally) fails to make power, torque or efficient use of the petrol the injectors throw down its manifolds. Sorry but epic epic fail.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Everything that´s wrong with STW : this topic

bigrich

what I don’t unnerstand is the title is a question, yet the OP has already bought an unsuitable jag.

hot_fiat

Everything that´s wrong with STW : this topic

Sorry I’ll answer the posed question rather the glaringly obvious error in the OP’s ways: it’s an OK riders car, but not a great one. The boot opening’s too small for a bike to load easily and while the rear seats fold flat it’s a ball ache to get a bike in there. A bike will go on the back seat though and being a proper saloon you could easily get a set of saris bones on the boot lid. I used ours once, perhaps twice for biking and it was alright, if you squint a bit. Wouldn’t choose one as a bikers car.

The back cylinder bank’s plugs are likely to have not been changed if it’s not been to a jag dealer as you have to take the manifold off. Actually an easy job just some garages get scared.

It will make you smile on the drive to somewhere like GT though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Until you go to the petrol station for the 3rd time

br
    Free Member

If you want to make any progress at all, you’ll struggle to get 22mpg from a 2.5v6 x-type

Should be better than that, I ran the 3.0i last year and averaged 27mpg. The AWD system is superb, even with near-bald tyres it just finds the grip. Plenty of go too and real leather – not that fake stuff the Germans put in their cars.

Bike-wise mine was crap, either take off the wheels and put on the back seat (didn’t fold on mine) or a rack – tow-bar just wasn’t worth putting on my ‘banger’.

Yep. But then I live near GT so get to drive these roads every day 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are muddy and can scratch things easily. Jags are shiny. That in itself would be a no for me.

Speshpaul

22mpg there is something wrong there 37mpg average from a 2l petrol here
    i’ll happily be corrected here but the 2.5 jags are not AWD that was just an option on the 3.0. (and the V6 isn’t a mazada unit)
    i see 32-33mph average from a 2.5 v6.

but to be honest you want a Diesal Estate.

prawny

A mate of mine had a diesel x type estate, it was nice enough to travel in, but the boot opening was so small I couldn’t get my bike in with the front wheel in, the bars wouldn’t fit.

Rack job methinks.

On the subject of ford engines, I used to have an st24 2.5l V6 back in the day, it was great at the time, but I was dreaming this weekend and looking at the new 320d tourers. They’re as fast, but do 3 times the mpg and put out less CO2 than my current i30, WTF! Only 32,000 reasons why I didn’t buy one there and then.

hot_fiat

2.1 petrol was fwd, as we’re all the diesels, 2.5 and 3.0 were all AWD. Heads were from Mazda, block was ford dura tec v6 We got about 27 on average from the 2.1 or 33 on a long speedy motorway run. My mate’s 2.5 really struggled to get 27 driving it like miss daisy: think it only made 200bhp from all the mechanical reciprocating mess under the bonnet (who designs an engine with drive belts on both ends? It looked like a novelty Victorian alarm clock) so perhaps it was over strained for the weight.

Ours has gone to the great car crusher in the sky and my mate traded his for the 2.0 diesel. Both looked disgracefully rusty underneath – the sills were properly scary behind the plastic skirts.

Ultimately yes, they are a mk1 mundano in a floppy hat and shades, but we found them really good motorway companions that made you feel that you’d ‘arrived’ rather than just ‘turned up’

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Or did I pitch and miss when aiming for riding?<

Yes.

Inherited a Company one and used it for 6 months. Hated it…

The folding seats are next to useless due the shallow angle of the boot. I kept a blanket over the back seats, threw the frame in there and the wheels in the boot.

Of course you’ll get by but its one of the worst cars imaginable for any mountain biker tbh.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No Jaguar don’t make a good bike car, as per initial responses.

Carry the bike on a boot rack or buy a duffbag and carry it in the boot with both wheels removed. Pictures have been posted on here of bikes on the back seat of BMW 5 series, yes it can be done, is it a good solution – no

Rio

No Jaguar don’t make a good bike car

They do, but it’s not the model the OP has:

gmex619
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys!

The Jaguar was bought as the price was right, I like the cars and enjoy the prestige of it.

I don’t have a particularly heavy foot. I use a tracker box on my insurance and have for the last Three years.

My Mondeos died due too my 1.8 having a faulty oil light. Basically it dropped it all on some Gravel and I didn’t notice until 5m later and it decided the next day too drop a crank bearing.

The 2.0 died I have no idea how.. I turned off the engine picking up a co-worker. Restarted it and it snapped a rod according too my local garage who have pulled the engine apart. Not been able too go and see it yet.

I have been using Mondeos for a while now and economy on my 1.8 was around 35 combined but the 2.0 is a genuine 22 combined average. It was an automatic however, this is all I can pin the lack of economy down too. Putting out £250 a week in Petrol is crippling me so I decided a new car was in order.

AWD was an essential factor as I live just off of Woodhead and as some of you will know there is a lot of snow up here.

It’ll be doing alot of Motorway miles down the M62 corridor as my Family are in Liverpool and work send me too Hull every few weeks, aswell as many other places inbetween.

I’ve avoided Diesels as I know many people who have problems with them. Also I don’t like that you see alot of TDCi’s that are coughing out ALOT of smoke even brand new ones.

Markie
    Free Member

AWD was an essential factor as I live just off of Woodhead and as some of you will know there is a lot of snow up here.

Independent of bikes in the car or driving style, give snow tyres some consideration – they make an incredible difference in terms of grip and control, including (unlike 4wd?) going round corners!

Road Trip shows no increase in MPG for me either, though this for a drive predominantly on 40mph / 50mph A roads with a lot of roundabouts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with the wrong tyres it just means all the wheels spin.

Putting out £250 a week in Petrol is crippling me so I decided a new car was in order.

At that point diesels do come into the equation, your doing th motorway miles and will probably get it going a bit which cures most of the DPF problems. Considering most of the TD cars I have had have gone above 200k miles they are good at keeping going and would probably half your fuel bill.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve avoided Diesels as I know many people who have problems with them. Also I don’t like that you see alot of TDCi’s that are coughing out ALOT of smoke even brand new ones

Do some reading not all smoke is bad.

matt_outandabout

XF *would* be an ace biking wagon…mmmmm

ransos
    Free Member

They do, but it’s not the model the OP has:

Only if your bidons don’t get spilt in the boot…

DezB
    Free Member

“I’VE GOT A JAGUAR!”

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Jaguar was bought as the price was right, I like the cars and enjoy the prestige of it.

Has to be a troll

Scamper
    Free Member

As one or two have suggested – 22mpg from a petrol mondeo and you have blow two of them? 😯

I thought they were a very reliable engine, helped by a chain, rather than normal belt? My 1.8 averaged about 37mpg until I sold it approaching 150k. Oh, and found the boot fine for a bike (circa 500litre and a nice shape) than I saw little point in a more expesive estate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Does a Jaguar make a good biking car?’ is closed to new replies.