Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Does a Heckler require a platform shock?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Thinking about buying a heckler frame but finances would only allow up to the float R level frame brand new.

Would it be an error to buy the none platform shock option or does it pedal well without propedal?

Simon

Float R does have Propedal, you just can’t turn it off or adjust the level of PP.

rs
    Free Member

based on my experiences with my bullit I would say it needs the platform, the float R should still have some built in factory set propedal I think, just not switchable.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hmm what about downhill does it “open up”?

rs
    Free Member

yes, just stops low speed shock movements

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS Rob!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ffs – why?

andy7t2
    Free Member

no just a comic

carlos
    Free Member

Maybe not the same but I have a Pushed RP23 on my Heckler and never used it. It rides like a dream downhill and going up, well I have no problems.

Carl

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers carl

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had an old Heckler and changing from a Vanilla to a 5th element was a revelation. Joy of single pivot design – plush as a plush thing, but bobs about too. Worth upgrading if you can.

carlos
    Free Member

When you looking at buying Rob?? If it’s not for a couple of weeks (18th is the earliest I can do)you can have a short run out on mine round the Peak as long as a Med fits. Just a case of arranging a meet and swaping pedals.

Carl

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Not for a while. A quick ride would be ace. Ride flats if that’s any help. Email me 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Don’t do flats only Mallets. 😉

E-mail on its way

Adders

I’ve a 2010 frame with an RP23. I’ve never used the ProPedal because it doesn’t bob at all. I’m sure i’d forget to turn it off when going down hill if I did use it.

I love the Heckler. Really glad I got it.

ton

hecklers are ace…………….**** knows why i sold mine 🙄 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member
    ffs – why?

You’ve tried how many FS bikes?

Have you not worked out that there’s not much difference between them and whether you’d want a platform shock, presumably having tried more then I’ve had hot dinners?

goog
    Free Member

kinell Rob, you really are a tool 😆

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Should have kept the prophet Rob

goog
    Free Member

you can have my Remedy for much less than a Heckler costs, and its got a rp23 on it 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

PWNED!!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

al – more than hot dinners? 3 to be exact!!

goog – remedy? £?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i’ve used floats, rp’s and dhx on mine and all seemed to work well!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve used platform and non-platform shocks on my 03 Hecklers, both worked well but I don’t pedal squares.

scruff
    Free Member

Im hoping to take my RP23 off and put a Marzocchi Air on this weekend, jus to see. I will report back.

Pieface

ooh, I’ve always fancied an mmnbop

popstar
    Free Member

I have float r on my bike (Zesty) and hate it passionately. It’s not the case as if it pedals well but characteristics while bombing trails that puts me off it, compared to RP23 or the likes. Middle stroke isnt possible to tune without affecting small bump or full whack sensitivity.

Still good enough for XC mincing. Got a bit tired of it.

goog
    Free Member

£500 english to you

racing_ralph
    Free Member

popstar – Member
    I have float r on my bike (Zesty) and hate it passionately. It’s not the case as if it pedals well but characteristics while bombing trails that puts me off it, compared to RP23 or the likes. Middle stroke isnt possible to tune without affecting small bump or full whack sensitivity.

Still good enough for XC mincing. Got a bit tired of it.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Of no relevance tho as they are VERY dissimilar bikes

racing_ralph
    Free Member

goog – details to email inc pix please. what length forks is it for?

cynic-al
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

Of no relevance tho as they are VERY dissimilar bikes

Is the pivot height significantly different?

There are no other material factors between them, despite what the mags say.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the lapierre uses a link surely that changes the way the shock behaves

messiah
    Free Member

From what I understand – a Float R will likely have quite a high Pro-Pedal platform on it, you just can’t adjust it.

Also – Sometimes simple is better as there are less things to fiddle with and mess up, or forget to adjust at the top of the hill before the all important descent.

Some totaly irrelevant info for you – but I bought a Float R very cheap for my Nicolai. I’ve not used an air shock for like ever so I figured bung a cheap one on and see what like. Most of the time it does what it should and it is really light which feels great, but when pushed I’ve found it’s limits and much prefer the DHX coil. I’ve made some notes on the peformance of the Float R, tried it at many pressures and travel setting on my frame, and I’ve also tweaked the air chamber size. I’ve got to a point with it where the next step is a custom tune from LoCo or TFT etc with the info I have. I’ll probably not get the performance of the coil but I’m sure it will improve on the original settings, and all for just over the price of a service which it needs after the year I’ve been fiddling with and riding it anyway (probably overdue…).

I suggest getting the Float R and riding it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Thread resurrection just to gauge any more opinion

flyingmonkeycorps

I had a DHX Coil on mine, set the propedal in the middle somewhere and left it. Then I went to the Alps and turned the propedal off and left it. I don’t think I noticed any difference.

I miss my Heckler.

portlyone

I had a DHX Coil on mine, set the propedal in the middle somewhere and left it. Then I went to the Alps and turned the propedal off and left it. I don’t think I noticed any difference.

I miss my Heckler.

I love your/my Heckler 🙂

D0NK

My heckler with 5th element platform pedalled well and went downhill well but I kept blowing the platform thingummy so TF removed it. Now it goes downhill very well – just don’t ask about the pedalling.

It’s OK on technical/rough stuff but on fireroad or tarmac it’s bobtastic and seems to sap the power from you even if you try to be smooth, if you mash the pedals it’s horrible.

An RP23 (or for preference a coil shock) with a switch-off-able propedal would be best for all round riding i reckon.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s your Heckler now and I’m glad it has gone to a good home! I may well end up buying another one, though it will be a smaller size if so…

scruff
    Free Member

Marzocchi Air R (no platform) on mine now which replaced a low tune RP23. Feels lots better, can pump and pop the bike more now where before it just sucked everything up. Not got full travel yet though even on DH track, might get it revalved. LOCO revalved my Vanilla shock for £notmuch and it was a good improvement, would advise anyone else who isnt ‘average’ to do the same.

Pieface

Using the funds from eBay upgrade your shock to allay your concerns?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-info-should-be-in-an-eby-ad-for-a-frame-etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Does a Heckler require a platform shock?’ is closed to new replies.