• This topic has 63 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by devs.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Does a Golden Retriever make a good trail hound?
  • darrell
    Free Member

my border terrier is crap with bikes but makes a great ski-dog

here he is with the missus

Taz

My labrador is an excellent trail dog. He will run all day and after his initial pee will not deviate from about 2 feet behind the back wheel.

Great with the kids also

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Sorry bearback…that is one ugly dog!

johnny63

I’ve a working cocker spaniel called Suze (got her from guy who bred them as gun dogs) – she is brilliant out with the bike, energy to burn, initially she was a bit hyper but she’s 2 now and has calmed down, lovely nature and great round the kids. does tend to disappear when the rabbits are about but as yet hasn’t caught one of them

Eureka Moment – why not get a rabbit? Fast, low maintenance, cheap and ready supply in a forest near you!!

clocked her the other week at 26mph and was sure she was just taunting me to go faster

johnny63

I’ve a working cocker spaniel called Suze (got her from guy who bred them as gun dogs) – she is brilliant out with the bike, energy to burn, initially she was a bit hyper but she’s 2 now and has calmed down, lovely nature and great round the kids. does tend to disappear when the rabbits are about but as yet hasn’t caught one of them

Eureka Moment – why not get a rabbit? Fast, low maintenance, cheap and ready supply in a forest near you!!

clocked her the other week at 26mph and was sure she was just taunting me to go faster – the dog that is, not a rabbit

sharkbait
    Free Member

BearBack: A good mate’s got a Hungarian Vizsla and I’d agree with everything you said……. a bit mad, very fast, run for ever.
    Personally I’d go with the Spaniel option. I’ve got two working cockers and they’re great family dogs but love to get out as well.
    Springers have more energy to get rid of but slightly dippy. Cockers are lovely but keep well away from ‘show’ dogs as they’re effectively useless at everything apart from growing big ears. Proper working cockers are [usually] bigger, more muscle and, if they’ve come from a good pedigree, will need little training. Ours will never venture more than 30-40 meters away from you and makes them a lot easier to take on trips as you’re not worried about them hurtling off into the next 3 fields – unlike the Hungarian Vizsla!
    Oh, and the Vizsla is a beautiful dog….. that’s just an unflattering photo.

DezB
    Free Member

GNARGNAR – Member
    Sorry bearback…that is one ugly dog!

How pointless and wrong can you be

AndyRT
    Free Member

Bearback, that is a fantastic photo! That is one happy hound!

momentum
    Free Member

I’ve just got a lakeland terrier who I’m hoping will be a good trail dog when she’s older. They’re bred to run for 30 miles or so while hunting foxes on foot so should have good stamina. So far she’s fantastic with kids, but she’s only five months old so that might change, although I hope not. Another option for you might be an airedale terrier – lovely dogs (meant to be one of the only breeds that will babysit kids) and lots of ability to run as well. Probably not as fast as some of the ones mentioned but plenty of stamina.

I used to have a labrador/collie cross and he was a really sweet dog as well as very clever, so might be good with your son.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Thanks momentum, I’ll take a look

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

DezB –

How wrong can you be

Is that a rhetorical question? That is one fugly dog, unless you happen to think it’s an attractive dog but hey each to their own. I doubt the guy is going to go to the shed, strangle his dog then blow his brains out over the head of it.

DezB

How pointless can you be

More or less pointless than commenting on the relative beauty of one bike/car/woman vs another? Or commenting on someones kitchen or hedge when they post a picture of a bike? I don’t know, how do you quantify pointlesness? Are you the arbiter of relevance on stw? Why have you been so slack of late?

RevWill
    Free Member

Posted by seizednuts

If you get a puppy it will be easyer to train. Thorough breds are more expensive and have inherent problems. Cross breeds are cheaper, go wrong less, live longer but can get some funny looking dogs.

Good advice here. Crossbreeds and mongrels should live longer, and have fewer health complications.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Soobalias
    He is a GSP and as I said I take it ‘fairly easy’ by this I mean downhills are casually taken so as to avoid damaging joints and as I’m on a singlespeed the uphills are taken even more than ‘fairly easy’.
    To be honest when I take him for a walk in the woods he tears around just as fast and as far on his own chasing birds and squirrels.

DezB
    Free Member

Pointless: the thread is about how good dogs are as trail dogs. Not how pretty they look while running in a particular photo

Wrong: Vizslas are beautiful dogs. Unless you like Chinese Cresteds or something.

doubt the guy is going to go to the shed, strangle his dog then blow his brains out over the head of it.

Oh, and what a surprise you’d get carried away with your response.

DezB
    Free Member

and..
    Are you the arbiter of relevance on stw?

I’m just commenting on your post, just like you’re commenting on mine.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Pointless: the thread is about how good dogs are as trail dogs. Not how pretty they look while running in a particular photo

Did I break the internet?

Wrong: Vizslas are beautiful dogs. Unless you like Chinese Cresteds or something.

I change my mind, they are sexy sexy bastards.

Oh, and what a surprise you’d get carried away with your response.

Hyperbole [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
    –noun Rhetoric.

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
    2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

DezB
    Free Member

Did I break the internet?

Yes. Again.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

puddle-rider
    Free Member

I’m with Hicksville, have had 5 Dalmations including my current two, get them trained and trained again as hicks says. Will run all day if you pace them right and will love you so much in return just be prepared for the eventual heartache, mine are 9/10 now so not much longer i’m afraid.
    As a breed they suffer from bladder stones two of mine had them although never the bitches, just remember to feed them on a low protein diet, most of the dry dog foods are quite high in protein, tinned Chappie is very low.

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Just remembered something I looked into some time ago, try a google search for Lakeland Hounds, these are bred and trained for running and can be obtained as retired dogs whne they are quite young with plenty of life in them still, the best bit is that most of them will ignore livestock, Dalmations are not so good at ignoring livestock!!

GeeZed
    Free Member

My 5 year old Golden Retriever is a just gorgeous. Great family dog, loves long walks, but I wouldn’t take her out with me while I’m biking. They get distracted by everything that moves (squirrels, rabbits, other dogs), they love the water, they love mud, they love to roll in unsavoury sticky stuff…..far too much going on for them to follow a bike!

Here’s mine

From this

To this….oh please, no more photos…

To this!!!

and finally this.

user-removed
    Free Member

Well, here’s some random pics of my dog, being as everyone else is at it. Two and a half now, from a rescue centre and finally beginning to resemble a sentient being….

Last one….

RichT

Another vote for a flat-coated retriever here. It would be fluffy and soft enough for you and are great outdoor dogs with lots of stamina. Also better looking than a Golden in my opinion.

Or you could go for a Setter……..

devs
    Free Member

Is that Sandend user-removed?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Does a Golden Retriever make a good trail hound?’ is closed to new replies.