Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does a Chunky Monkey fit in a Scandal with much clearance- 29er styley?
  • julioflo
    Free Member

At the rear?
    Oh and do they fit in under the arch of Reba 29er forks okay as well?
    Looking at upping my grip levels…
    Thanks

nuke

What’s a CM…is it 2.4″? It’ll be tight…I have Smorgasbord front and rear on my Scandal 29er and its fairly low clearance on the chainstays and they are 2.25

julioflo
    Free Member

Yep, the Chunky Monkey’s are 2.4s.

I have some Racing Ralph 2.25’s right now. Not much clearance at the back (maybe 6 or 7mm either side of the side lugs)so was worried about going any bigger.

Was out on my local trails today and they were a bit wet for the 1st time in ages. Struggled for grip on a few climbs, had a few rear end sliding sideways moments on some of the steeper DH’s and it has made me start to think about a bit more grip. Maybe a CM is a bit too much…

nuke

I’m liking the smorgasbord, extreme front, enduro rear…perhaps try them. I do have Ralph’s and SBs will be a step up in grip from the Ralph’s. They came in at 920g so CMs will be even weightier. I run them tubeless…thick sidewalls, they go up easy on my Crest rims

julioflo
    Free Member

920g!
    Crikey and a step up in weight. But this tyre change is for the ‘rainy season’ so will have more things to worry about than weight.
    Thanks

tomaso
    Free Member

I do like the polarised views on tyre weights! I was thinking of CM SB as light weight race tyres that would cope with my clumsy lack of style :mrgreen:

Dyffers
    Free Member

I have CMs (the 50/42a ones) on 29er Crests (at the moment)

The two tyres weighed in at 900g and 940g when I got them.

On a Crest the CM on the front fits into my Reba with plenty of clearance. Enough clearance that this weekend I’m going to see if it’ll still fit mounted on a P35 rim.

At the rear, again on a Crest, I had plenty of clearance on my Singular Swift, and even more on its replacement Yelli Screamy. I guess clearances on a Scandal would come up smaller than both of these though (no experience of a Scandal). A quick test in the garage (but never ridden) and it *just* fit into the back of my Niner Air9.

HTH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does a Chunky Monkey fit in a Scandal with much clearance- 29er styley?’ is closed to new replies.