Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Does a big company sponsoring cycling make you buy their product
  • project
    Free Member

With all the great sponsorship by Halfords and Sky, along with all the other teams on the Tdf, and Wiggle sponsoring the ad breaks.

Then we had the Halfords Tour series, and soon the Tour Of Britain.

Does it make you want to support the companies who are puting money into cycling.

Discuss.

Trekster

No..
    Don’t follow any of the racing therefore have no idea who sponsors who or what 🙄

footflaps

I quite like the fact Skoda sponsor a lot of bike events – eg all the TdF cars are Skodas.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Follow all the racing but no I’m not influenced to buy sponsors products.

JoB
    Free Member

i went to a Credit Agricole in France once because i knew it was a bank, and bothered the assistant in a ‘Z’ shop asking for stickers a while back

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m fairly unlikely to buy Sky; I don’t have a TV…

Rachel

damo2576
    Free Member

Sorry, but how do you know you are not influenced?!

rewski
    Free Member

What… so you have no idea sky is involved in cycling? Really? I must say even though I don’t buy there products sky’s involvement as been very positive for there brand image, especially eith abc1s.

brakes
    Free Member

brand awareness blah blah
    having been subjected to their products/ services already, I doubt any amount of advertising could sway my opinion – good or bad
    and I’ve never heard of most of the TdF team sponsors – AG2R Mondial WTF?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Er Sky? Part of the beautiful Murdoch empire? If anything their involvement makes me less likely to get Sky than ever, the cynical bastards piggybacking on a good thing. Likewise Skoda: I can imagine what went through their heads in the company meeting “oh we need to make our filthy polluting products seem more green…let’s sponsor some bike racing!”

Don’t even get me started on Monster et al…

mrmo
    Free Member

Likewise Skoda: I can imagine what went through their heads in the company meeting “oh we need to make our filthy polluting products seem more green…let’s sponsor some bike racing!”

Do you really think there is anything green about bike racing? A season that begins with the Tour down Under, continues through Oman, and Qatar eventually the races make it to europe, with a few excursions to California, Quebec etc. The amount of air miles, the number of cars, coaches etc.

Even at quite low levels the commisiare will be in a car, and there will be motorcycle outriders.

donsimon
    Free Member

Even at quite low levels the commisiare will be in a car, and there will be motorcycle outriders.

plus team cars too.

SaxonRider

I have always liked the association between Red Bull and the activities/sports I like. I’m pretty sure I have seen them sponsor both Rally cars and mountain bikes. Also, because I have been a VW driver for years (T4), as well as a Trek rider, I used to want to get my hands on those old Trek-VW decals.

Childish, I know.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Do you really think there is anything green about bike racing? A season that begins with the Tour down Under, continues through Oman, and Qatar eventually the races make it to europe, with a few excursions to California, Quebec etc. The amount of air miles, the number of cars, coaches etc.

No, I don’t. That’s one reason why I don’t really like professional sport at all.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does it make you want to support the companies who are puting money into cycling.

Possibly. Though I think it would have to be a company that I liked in the first place. None really spring to mind.

mrmo
    Free Member

plus team cars too.

I am going even lower than that, if you ignore the car that got the rider to the start line.

luke
    Free Member

Original source used to be a sponsor to the Big Bike Bash, so I there stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

I am going even lower than that, if you ignore the car that got the rider to the start line.

In Spain, even the lowest level races, that require a licence, will have team cars in tow. It’s crazy.
    Low level mtb races at children’s age often have a leading motorbike too.

cakefacesmallblock

L.o.l Not influenced at all, but I do have a three week old Skoda Superb estate,company car on the drive. My missus has started ripping the pee, both during the racing and moreso in the Carrera ads and the Tour de Frances thing from halfords.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is the question about putting money into these comapnies, that you wouldn’t otherwise, because they sponsor cycling and to build the link to cycling?
    Or just the usual marketing question?

whyterider19
    Free Member

Not at all.

A defined need, quality and value make me want to buy something. I wish these big companies would stop wasting money on marketing and just focus on making great products at a good price. I suppose all those marketing dudes would be out of a job and might have to actually put in a hard days work and make something instead of talking shit all day.

For some insight on this world I would recommend the book “City Slackers” by Steve McKevitt.

I suppose you could make the argument that these companies are helping to grow the sport and therefore should be supported. However, I seriously doubt Halfords and their ilk are in it for the love. I do support my local bike shop as they put back into the community organising events and helping to promote cyclists rights in the area.

I suppose it depends in the scale and perceived benefit. Big company supporting TDF or World Cup, no influence on me. Small company making a difference in my world, big influence on me.

mrmo
    Free Member

I wish these big companies would stop wasting money on marketing and just focus on making great products at a good price.

And how would you know that that good product existed? Sorry with the current system of competing companies marketing is not going away.

alpin
    Free Member

don’t ever watch the tour as i find the whole drug abuse thing a bit off putting and i hae no connection to what the guys are doing (other than the drug abuse thing). i’m aware that there is a Garmin team and a Sky team. niether company has never recieved a penny from me.

as for the DH… i buy and drink Red Bull because i like the product and what the company does for sports. i think that they raise awareness of other sports and push the barrier a bit in a lot of fields. i’ve only bought Monster once and it was rubbish. i buy Shimano stuff because it works and lasts. i might end up buying a product if i have seen one of the riders using it, but the decision is likely to be based on whether or not i like the colours or design of what ever it is, not becuase said company is supporting the sport.

TBH, companies that are present at the main events probably don’t need masses of exposure as people are already buying their products. i’m more likely to be swayed if i see a brand or shop is supporting a grass roots or local event.

jameso

No, but a less definite no than companies that sponsor stuff I don’t give a monkeys about but am still aware of, F1 or golf for ex.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Marketing, innit?

😉

jameso

Alpine, agreed about grass-roots support.

meehaja
    Free Member

possibly, certainly I am aware of brands as a result of advertising etc. I have seen pro riders wearing helmets that I liked, googled, found and bought. Probably wouldn’t have bought that helmet if I hadn’t seen it on a rider.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wish these big companies would stop wasting money on marketing and just focus on making great products at a good price.

Whilst that utopia would be nice, I bought £1600 of Marantz and mission Hi-fi kit a few years ago, my housemates reaction was he’d never heard of them so Sony was clearly better.

Guess who has adverts in the Football, Sony or Marantz?

Errrr, as for cycling, not really, I bought a samsung telly recently, and they sponsor the cycling, but they’re also on the peak of the price/quality curve.

ahwiles
    Free Member

redbull.

i don’t drink it very often, mostly/exclusively when i need to stay perky driving late at night

they sponsor/hold/fund some great events, and i’m happy knowing that my £1.50/can is helping to pay for stuff like this:

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Does a big company sponsoring cycling make you buy their product’ is closed to new replies.