Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does a 10sp mech work with a 9sp shifter?
  • jordie
    Free Member

As 9 speed sram mechs are a little pricey and few and far between can a 9sp run a 10sp mech? I cant see how it wouldnt work as the shifter controls the mech?
    tks
    J.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Doesn’t work. There’s lots of threads to be found on this.

scaredypants

Are you sure MrB – SRAM as well ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seven
    Free Member

I would agree that it should work fine. It is the shifter that controls the indexing. I have my 3 speed shifter and mech set up to run my 2 middleburn duo, so am sure you can bodge it. Just give it a go

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Er, mr blobby, I’d love to know why you say it wouldn’t? I have run many bikes with mismatched shifters and mechs. The mech doesn’t know how far it is allowed to go between stops, only how far it is allowed to go in its entire range.

I have two bikes in the cellar like this right now. One with 10 spd dura ace bar end shifters running an 8 spd xtr mech on a 9 spd sram casette. The other has 9speed tiagra shifters running a 7spd 105 mech over an 8of9on7 cassette (google this if your no sure what it is – it’s a sheldon brown trick)

The bottom line Jordie is that if your mech has the same or more speeds than your shifter it will work. In some cases, like I have outlined you can get the mech to stretch a little bit further than shimano intended!

scaredypants

steady seven ! – I’m not saying it’s fine, I just haven’t heard it said before about SRAM (don’t use SRAM though, so may not have paid enough attention)

(mattbibbngs – depends a bit on whether road or mtb. Shimano 10sp mtb is different to all their other stuff

mattbibbings
    Free Member

But a mech is a mech. So long as the pull ratio is same.

scaredypants

[quote]Shimano 10sp mtb is different to all their other stuff [/quote]
    (that said, my 1×10 mtb has a 9sp mtb mech with ultegra flat bar ROAD 10sp shifters – that works fine but the mtb 10sp shifters are different)

njee20
    Free Member

How are we still doing this?! 10 speed has been out for years now.

Not compatible. Pull ratios are different. A SRAM 9 speed shifter can be made to work with a Shimano 10 speed mech with a c5.5mm spacer on the pinch bolt.

Road stuff is cross compatible.

Northwind

mattbibbings – Member

Which it isn’t. As above, you can get Shimano 10-speed to work perfectly on a SRAM X-series 9-speed shifter, but that’s the only mtb combo that works correctly.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I stand corrected gentlemen. It was all much easier before sprockets hit double figures!

scaredypants

How are we still doing this?!

because nobody’s actually answered the OPs question

(which I think is) “will a sram 9sp shifter drive a sram 10sp mech to run a 9sp cassette?” (not clear if it’s road or mtb, I’m assuming mtb)

mrblobby
    Free Member

It sounds like SRAM have modified the mech to move a different amount for the length of cable pulled. If that is the case then 9 speed shifter, 10 speed mech, and 9 speed cassette would not work.

njee20
    Free Member

because nobody’s actually answered the OPs question

Err… yes they have. I said:

Not compatible. Pull ratios are different.

Mrblobby said:

Doesn’t work. There’s lots of threads to be found on this.

Northwind said:

Which it isn’t.

SRAM don’t do 9 speed road, so we’re talking MTB. They are not compatible. So actually about a quarter of the posts in this thread are definitive answer, coupled with the myriad previous threads on here!

scaredypants

OK njee, although I am a bit thick (and Shimano-centric),please can you xplain:

(from from SRAM site X9 10sp mech: Compatibility Exact Actuation 10 speed
    When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way.

I don’t understand, then – if they’re all still 1:1, why won’t it work ?

ransos
    Free Member

(that said, my 1×10 mtb has a 9sp mtb mech with ultegra flat bar ROAD 10sp shifters – that works fine but the mtb 10sp shifters are different)

Yup. Shimano mtb 9 speed and road 9/10 speed mechs, shifters & cassettes are cross compatible.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t understand, then – if they’re all still 1:1, why won’t it work ?

Basically because they’re not both exactly 1:1, near as dammit, but far enough out that the shifting won’t work.

johnellison
    Free Member

Sram 10 spd mech + Sram 9 spd shifter = DOESN’T WORK

Sram 9 spd mech + Sram 10 spd shifter = DOESN’T WORK

Trust me, I’ve tried, and guess what? IT DOESN’T WORK!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does a 10sp mech work with a 9sp shifter?’ is closed to new replies.