Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Doe anybody else think NYE is an overated bag of biz?
  • scotroutes

It’s possible to enjoy it without getting hammered 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

At my age, it’s the lack of sleep as much as any alcohol…. 😐

Kuco

i’m with derek_starship, I love christmas but hate New Years.

duncancallum

I’m staying in might walk up to rivy pike to watch the firework…

singlespeedstu

You’ve never spent NYE off your tits on pills with 3 thousand other people until 4am 500 hundred people after haveing dodged under a rollershutter door and found all the fire exits bolted shut only to emerge at 10.00 the next morning with floor paint/sweat/Rizla/beer/water/speed/ coke/pills all over your face have you?

I prefer to stay in these days. 😐

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Organise friends, food and drink – have a party at home next time.

Just put delicate valuables away.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Happy on my own, in my own company this year. Mrs’s has stayed up North, just supped my last 2015 pint at my fave pub on this little planet of ours and settled for the rest of the year.

HNY you lot.

😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think the Millennium thing killed it for me and lots of people my age – it was the most over blown, over hyped, profiteered bag of bollocks I’ve ever suffered – on one hand it was a ‘big one’, there was a great sense of optimism at that time, we’d been through a nasty recession – harder than this recent one, but much shorter of course. Living in Wales and Cardiff especially it was a positive time – the dirty derelict docks had been pulled down, the bay was thriving, we’d just hosted the Rugby World Cup on the other hand there was actually a real thought in the back of our minds that Y2K would happen and somehow we’d all die of it – we were all going to party like it was our last day on earth.

In the end, it was the same as every other NYE, it was cold, wet, people drank too much, punched and kicked each other, threw up and generally acted the arse – it was £50 to get a ticket to a club, £50 for a taxi home and double for drinks etc – forget hotels or restaurants!

It was shit, the anti-climax of the anti-climax that was NYE.

The year after I was in Sydney, which was a great night out, big party on a roof garden, just after the Olympics. The biggest differences is the weather, middle of summer, warm evenings with cool breezes infinitely better than shivering in the drizzle at home.

Drac

I’ve never paid to get into a pub, ever.

Not been out for a few years due to work and kids but I do enjoy it.

Where are these amateur drinkers you’re talking about?

badnewz
    Free Member

Not gone out on xmas or new years eve for many years now. Just stay in with some beers and junk food, happy enough with that.

Caher

Over visiting parents this year so not out with the group. But will go out to see a band etc tomorrow night and it will still be the new year.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Quiet night in with mrs_d and the cat.
    Had some fun nights out back in the day but really CBA with it these days. And as for Jools Holland’s thing…

andytherocketeer

€0.89 per bottle of the local brew

costs nothing to go outside and dodge the fireworks

no point being a boring sod and going to bed early, when the fireworks have been going off every few seconds since dinner time, and WW3 is about to break out any time soon

happy new year!

john_drummer
    Free Member

so much for avoiding Jools 🙄

rone

Why should it bother you what anyone else does? You are free to make of it what you want aren’t you?

Bike ride, film, friends or bedtime. No need to witness the shitness.

JulianA
    Free Member

Radisson Blu Palace in Spa after a lovely toodle past Spa Francorchamps and around Malmedy and Stavelot today in the Audi with the roof down. Lovely. Meal in Le Baron in Coo as most of Spa is either closed or booked for NYE.

Had a ride up the ascenseur to Les Thermes this morning.

Overrated? Not at all! A lovely chance for a trip away.

Back to client hunting tomorrow though. Really need a client in early 2016 or things will go bad!
    <removes tongue from cheek>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ran into one of the locals/brewers from our local last night and got invited to their nye thing, pubs been closed all week so paid get into the local food festival hardly paid for a drink all night, hell of a good night with some great people loved it

squirrelking
    Free Member

Currently working, enjoy the electricity…

Happy New Year you miserable misanthropes 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and really these posts just read like the mail, people do things I do think understand….

The thing that has made every nye years for me is the people of matter where you are or what faces you if you are with good people it’s all good.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Gotta watch out for them antimatter peoples though, isn’t it?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Load of nonsense fuss over an arbitrary date.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Not really that bothered about going out new year. Too many Coke snorting knob heads trying to be nice at 23.50 till 00.30 and then they are kicking off because their bird glanced in the direction of another bloke.
    However I do enjoy cracking open a few beers slapping some Old School Trance on and chilling out with the missus. However this time i was up to my elbows in bedpans.

On the plus side it’s my 30th birthday on the 2nd so a nice meal and a few drinks.

khani
    Free Member

I prefer it to Christmas, no looong build up filled with shit music, no being bombarded with advertising for crap you don’t want for months before the event, non of the religious nonsense that nobody actually believes or follows,
    Just one night, boom! Get hammered/stoned/wasted/whatever you want, then done, over, finito for another year..

langylad
    Free Member

Gotta watch out for them antimatter peoples though, isn’t it

Sounds like you had a quality evening Mike 😀

Amazingly we were allowed to finish our shift on time at 11pm, so home to celebrate what was left of my birthday with wife and youngest, a nice red, bit of jooles and a Peter Kay vid. Best nye in a while

isitafox
    Free Member

Waste of time, it’s just another day. The only good thing about New Years is the fact I get paid extra for being in work today.
    Not really arsed about the having to pay to get into a pub that’s packed full of people who never go out as I’m one of those people, I only go out maybe twice a year and every time I do I wonder why I bothered!

binners

Christ! Right little rays of sunshine, you lot, aren’t you?

Waderider
    Free Member

Just back from Luib Connel bothy, which was a good way of avoiding the national embarrassment of the Bay City Rollers.

Northwind

Had a good time meself. Honeyblood were decent, Idlewild remembered they’re supposed to be a rock band, Biffy were fantastic as ever, good crowd, lots of happy people, lots of chat with randoms. Very good fireworks too. Does feel a bit weird when suddenly at 1am “Ladies and gentlemen, Edinburgh is now closed, go home” but still, pretty ace night out. If you don’t like your new year, change it.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Doe anybody else think NYE is an overated bag of biz?’ is closed to new replies.