Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Doe anybody else think NYE is an overated bag of biz?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I just don’t get it.
    Paying to get in local pubs.
    That annoying countdown.
    Part time drinkers crying / fighting / puking by 9pm.
    All those empty “all the best to you and yours”
    Five deep at the bar with the regulars still
    sitting / standing in “their” spot.

No. No. No.

martinhutch

Anyone who disagrees with you will already be in the pub. 😀

Northwind

Never been to the local pub, it’s a night for house or street parties ime… Tonight I’m just off into Edinburgh to see a band I love though, so it’s not going to be that “special” I suppose. But I like it. If you don’t like new year the way you do it, why not do it different?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Generally yes over-rated. I never pay to get in anywhere on principal for NYE. Dinner and drinks at home with friends are best. I would add that as a lover of fireworks NYE in Verbier is exceptional as people spend the equivalent of the GDP of a small country on fireworks and NYE in the mountains is cool

Bregante

I **** love you derek_starship you miserable ****

hic

😛

burp

mrsfry
    Free Member

Well you never know when the zombie apocalypse will happen

FYI

If you sleep through New years you gain a extra year of life

jekkyl

You’ve never spent NYE off your tits on pills with 3 thousand other people until 4am have you? I lament my 20s 🙁

scotroutes

Pay to get into a pub?

You’re doing it wrong mate.

Houns

Sydney was pretty awesome. Kinda ruins all nye’s after

Bregante

If the whole Pub thing doesn’t float your boat, why not pop round to your lovely neighbours with a bottle or two?

Oh.

piemonster

If you sleep through New years you gain a extra year of life

Sweet, I’m going to get really old.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m not an Xmas type but some of my best ever nights were on nye and I still love it now .

piemonster

ou’ve never spent NYE off your tits on pills with 3 thousand other people until 4am have you? I lament my 20s

Hugs, pulls stupid face, forgets what going on, dances briefly, bimbles off to talk bllx at someone.

mattbee

I used to love the whole party atmosphere, going out & getting wasted one way or another, most of my 20s were spent that way.
    Now I’m approaching 40 I just can’t be bothered with it. I’ll be having fish & chips for tea & a few glasses of wine watching The Man in the High Castle. Once my wife gets home from work at 10 we’ll go to bed.
    Part of me wishes I was still cool, but it’s only a tiny part of me & will be easy to ignore. Plus I get quiet roads to ride on in the morning while everyone else is in bed hungover!

Nipper99
    Free Member

blwyddyn newydd dda!

SaxonRider

It’s the annual scrabble match-up with Mrs SR and Jools Holland’s Hootenany on in the background. All in all, not a bad evening.

Never really got to the whole drink yourself silly on NYE thing.

scotroutes

I wrote this on the grumpy Christmas thread too, but New Year was always a bigger celebration than Xmas in Scotland.

hammyuk
    Free Member

My youngests B’day tomorrow so will be have some Jammy Red Roo and a cracking takeaway in a bit before chilling out with a movie.
    Had some cracking ones in the past from the “usual” to sitting in the crater of a volcano watching an uninterrupted sky, beach campfires to slightly illegal climbs to top of previously mentioned volcano.
    Now I really can’t be f…. with the pretentiousness of it all – as with xmas, its a load of commercial bollocks.
    I’ll be up nice and early, fresh for a run out then round to see her and then go out for mahoosive triple decker cakes and top notch coffee.
    I’ll try not to wake you when I take the baffles out of the 14’s exhausts 😆

derek_starship
    Free Member

why not pop round to your lovely neighbours with a bottle or two?

Great idea Breggers!

wilburt
    Free Member

Can I just take this opportunity to point out that Jools Holland Hootanany is recorded in July.
    I’m staying in, wouldn’t queue in a pub it doesnt compute.

Have a good ny though whatever you miserable lot do.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I used to think that in my more misanthropic days. Now it barely registers on the radar. Just another night in with the Mrs and kids.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I used to think that in my more misanthropic days.

I’m not misanthropic, I just can’t be doing with the huge shower of bellends that live in my town.

I call them the shitterati 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Can I just take this opportunity to point out that Jools Holland Hootanany is recorded in July

I thought it was October, but anyway- Im sure the people 4 doors up will wake up all the many children in the street with their pissed up midnight fireworks, and maybe the woman will get punched in the face again for having a strop after my neighbor complained.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fireworks and alcohol. Classic combo. What could possibly transpire?

Like letting a sixteen year old son take the controls of an A310…

roblane65
    Free Member

that sounds like a great party whats the post code 😀
    btw you missed the u

dannybgoode

I’m not a celebrator of it to be honest.

Good job as well as Mrs Danny is working tonight so I’m in looking after babybgoode and likely to be in bed will before midnight – never know what time he’ll be up tomorrow…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We got cheesed off with the usual pub/bar/club nonsense years ago – had some great times in my early years but you can’t carry that on for long before your body starts to give in. In recent years as the kids are older, we’ve just been going round to friends houses and having a house party which is nice as we can involve the kids – all the kids head upstairs, ‘adults’ downstairs. It’s all about who you’re with and not where you are – with a bit of dad dancing thrown in for entertainment value.

Anyway, wherever you may be all the best for 2016.

slackalice
    Free Member

IMO, exclusively the most overrated night of the year, echoing the above sentiments.

Early night and earlyish start to get into London for NYD daytime clubbing to hard house, trance and all its various sub-genres was awesome though, many great memories of good times shared and was the default for pretty much all of the 90’s.

Unlikely to be repeated, but never say never 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

I 100% thought it was last night (just assumed the fireworks did’nt wake me up for 3 hours)…..so now I’m going to have to ignore the outside world again tonight.

scotroutes

Yep, we’ve had to swap over the Xmas tree for the New Years Eve tree, complete with New Years Eve decorations. All the New Years Eve presents have been wrapped in their New Years Eve wrapping paper and distributed accordingly. The New Years Eve singers were round earlier singing New Years Eve songs and demanding payment.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I hate New Year for a lot of the reasons above.

I think i hate the countdown the most.

I really like the rest of the 12 days though.

scruff
    Free Member

I hate that ‘pretend were friends’ Scotch / Gaylic song the most.

Harry_the_Spider

30 years ago when I wanted to get legless and have a grubby fumble with a girl called Karen I cared about NYE more than anything in the world.

However. Now I am married with kids and in my late 40s I really couldn’t give a shit.

scaled
    Free Member

Whacked some old mixes on my HiFi (that I couldn’t have afforded in my 20s) and got in to the mood for a party.

Then I realised I was getting all hyped up for a 2005 Cyantific drum and bass mix and I’d probably not enjoy any of that new fangled stuff anyway.

Maybe when the nipper will sleep through a storm I’ll have a decent house party.

Northwind

scruff – Member

I hate that ‘pretend were friends’ Scotch / Gaylic song the most.

But they’re not scottish, they’re from bradford!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXijH0LmZg [/video]

mattbee

Also, fireworks at half past six, what’s that about?

binners

Regulars only in our local on NYE. So no amateur drinkers fighting at 9pm or 5 deep at the bar. Should be a belter of a night!

Happy new year you lot! Even the miserable sods like Derek! 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just cus you’ve given up smoking Binners doesn’t mean you can come in here all chirpy
    OH – and take that stupid hat OFF!!

binners

It gets better. Mrs Binners is DJing and I’ve just been informed that means we’re not paying for drinks tonight!

BOOM!!! Pint of vodka and orange please!! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

I think it’s great people enjoying it, but I can’t be bothered. Was Ok when I was younger, now I’m more concerned about getting an early night so I am in a fit state to actually do something on New Years Day rather than waste it feeling ill/sorry for myself and feeling that I’ve wasted the first day of the rest of my life.

The more time I spend out and about, the more the Winter Solstice seems like the turn of the year to me anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Doe anybody else think NYE is an overated bag of biz?’ is closed to new replies.