Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dodgy practice? (redundancy content)
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

A subsiduary of a well known “British” company (Let’s call them Big Airways largeconurbation flyer) recently announced redundancies. 6 main cabin crew and 9 pursers from the Edinburgh staff. The packages were pretty good and apparently the uptake was high (up to 18 main cabin crew voluntereed). Yesterday they withdrew the offers and there is a feeling amongst staff that the cuts are still on but compulsory NOT voluntary. Can they do this? What if they start sacking people for not meeting performance criteria, lateness etc?

Stinks a bit.

snakebite
    Free Member

What if they start sacking people for not meeting performance criteria, lateness etc?

Current climate, get rid of the slackers…mean lean company’s will be stronger aas the recession draws on….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dont slack?

TBH is someone was slacking in the current climate if fire them for being an idiot!

Smee
    Free Member

Kevonakona is a slacker but if he was cabin crew on any plane i was on I’d be getting off pronto.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yesterday they withdrew the offers and there is a feeling amongst staff that the cuts are still on but compulsory NOT voluntary. Can they do this?
    On the face of it that sounds pretty normal. Offer voluntary, they switch to compulsory if the takeup hasn’t been as much as you needed. It’s certainly what has always happened in my place.
    Unless you’re saying that people took volutary, and were then denied it and given compulsory, which would stink a bit.

kevonakona
    Free Member

18 people volunteered before it was withdrawn now people are being squeezed out. Late as in 10 minutes late due to problems getting through staff security.

Personal favoutrite one person taking day off to interview for a job after deciding to take redundancy now in office for a “chat”.

Oh and agree with Smee. If i was your cabin crew i’d get off straight away.

surfer
    Free Member

Companies dont have to offer voluntary schemes but often the larger ones do as they (in theory) have a workforce that duplicates functions, for example lots of people who have similar jobs and skills. Often these schemes are more attractive than compulsory ones.

If they have a method of performance management in place then you need to stay the right side of it.

If the person who took the day off took it as a holiday then what is the “chat” for and how do they know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy practice? (redundancy content)’ is closed to new replies.