Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dodgy or is there a possible innocent excuse (car content)?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Just been checking out used cars online via Parkers. I came across a car that my missus and I both liked the look of. We made plans to view it on Monday and then I decided to check out insurance estimates.

I'd got the dealer's website open and so put in the registration number on the car's plates… confused.com told me that it was a different car. As did the HPI website (I've not done a full check there yet).

On Parkers the text description has a registration that does correspond with the right model…but that's different from the one in the picture.

Is there any possible innocent explanation or is it just well dodgy?
    Cheers.

Smee
    Free Member

Sounds as dodgy as a bottle of chips.

kimbers

Daffy

It could have had a private plate on it when traded in which they have now removed.

The private plate on my BMW still come up as my previous Toyota on some websites. That was changed 5 years ago.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Link?

deserter
    Free Member

our old blue tigra with private plate came up as a green vectra,had 2 sales fall through before I found out

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Here's a link (don't laugh too hard at our choice of motor 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Doesn't sound suspicious to me

GlenMore
    Free Member

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Aah! It comes up as a Megane. Why would they put the plates from one on the other? Sorry if this sounds naive, it's our first car!

Gary_C

Hmm..Checks out as a Megane estate,could be a data input error at the dvla.
    Best thing to do is go for the test drive & ask to see the registration document-V5,then check the chassis no.shown on the V5 against the atual one on the car,also make a note of the chassis no. off the chassis plate on the car,& do your HPI check off the chassis no. rather than off the reg no.
    The chassis plate on the Modus is on the o/s b pillar,you can see it on one of the photos,but in addition to that chassis plate,there is usually what is known as a 'visible vin' plate attatched to the dashboard,you can see it through the base of the windshield.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers Gary_C; that's all hugely useful.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If in doubt after checking on the VIN plates look at the glass for correspodin numbers and then plastic parts that you can see in the engine bay they have calendar identifiers on them (as do all car parts).
    Never rely solely on the visible VIN tag through the windscreen as this is the easeiest for 'ringers' to replace. If the VIN plate under the bonnet has new rivets holding it on ie no signs of corresponding age to the VIN tag be suspicious. Also check the big sticky label (normally undr the boot floor covering or somewhere towards the rear panels, this will have the VIN number, colour code for the paintwork and full list of optional extras fitted to the car. Ther are other ways for someone experienced to check but dont want to give everything away….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy or is there a possible innocent excuse (car content)?’ is closed to new replies.