Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dodgy Kryptonite Evolution lock
  • tenfoot

After getting my bikes stolen last year, complete with locks, the insurance paid out for new locks. I bought Fahgedaboutit chains with Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 locks.

This morning I had a bit of a fright when I couldn’t unlock one of them. For 10 minutes or so, I struggled and eventually it unlocked. The key only turns 90 degrees instead of the full 180.

As I have 2, I swapped the D part of the lock over, and the problem transferred with the D, ie – it now happened with the other locking mechanism.

At a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be. Anyone experienced similar and can anyone recommend a different, decent lock?

Thanks

ninfan
    Free Member

Tried a drop of oil/squirt with GT85?

tenfoot

Yeah, tried that, ta. I read somewhere that you can stick a screwdriver in where the keys go, to align the discs within the locking mechanism, but it seems strange that it happens on both locks, using the same D.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My new yorks do this from time to time,

Lube where the d pushes into thenlock body and open close the locks a number of times without the d in.

Frees them up no end.

tenfoot

Thanks, I’ll try that. As you can imagine, I did get the sweats this morning when I couldn’t unlock the bikes. 😆

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Common problem with Kryptonite locks. The way to fix is to use a tiny flat bladed screwdriver to realign the lock bits. Then it’s an easy fix. Only problem is I don’t carry a tiny screwdriver around with me. Just the fing key! I’ve stopped using mine in favour of an abus lock.

tenfoot

Thanks. Yes, I think I might do the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy Kryptonite Evolution lock’ is closed to new replies.