Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dodgy freehub – advice please
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I had aggro from my freehub this morning
    Its been used for 2 1/2y and has otherwise been fine

I had an intermittent fault approx 4-5 times over a 3h ride when it wouldnt engage leading to comical spinning of the pedals and a bashed shin 🙁

Now ordinarily Id have it stripped down on the kitchen table and get grief from the GF to find the cause

However:

1) Its christmas

2) The bike is filthy

3) It was -6 out in rural Cambridge first thing I cant help but think this may be the cause

Is it likely to be something frozen and thus never happen again or am I just an optimist and its gonna give me no end of pain till I strip it down properly?

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What wheel?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Good point!

XT

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Freehub is only serviceable with a load of hassle – they are not supposed to be repairable.

Buy another hub the same and transfer the freehub over then you have a spare set of bearings and cones as well as s spindle

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

same happened to a rider i was with today. My diagnosis is frozen internals.

peachos
    Free Member

happened to me last winter. intermittent problem was put down to having water in the freehub which had frozen. ended up stuck on top of the moors until my mate suggested taking a pi$$ on it. it worked!! and then of course it froze again shortly afterwards. i ended up consuming all 2.5L of water from my camelbak so i had a constant supply of 'de-icer' to get me off the hillside.

thecrackfox
    Free Member

I snapped the some of the pawls on a DT Swiss last year on the moors at -7, sounds like new freehub time.

project
    Free Member

Piss on it, it works for me, as it may well be frozen inside.

Trimix
    Free Member

Buy a new one. I spent ages three times servicing my old Hope hub. Once it starts to wear its buggered. Plus its a pain to remove, clean, grease etc so it gets neglected till its broken. Once water gets in, which it will, its hard to get out and with all the movement going on inside it ends up turning the grease into grinding paste.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy freehub – advice please’ is closed to new replies.