• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • dodgy ebay seller – sale cancelled due to damaging the bike.
  • chay
    Free Member

Won a bid on a women’s carbon trek ex for £1340 and the seller emailed saying that they had damaged the bike therefore got ebay to cancel the sale, the seller told me during the auction that she was looking for 2300. Hmmmm, I think she needs to learn how to use the reserve function.

Has this happened to anyone else?

bigblackshed

That’s a classic get out clause for the terminally dodgy. Seen it used lots on car sales. They get an offer outside of eBay and finish the auction early. Cheap advertising basically.

chay
    Free Member

Can’t believe ebay allow this, the auction went full term and I won it. Asked for photos of the damage and nothing!

chakaping
    Free Member

Lame behaviour but don’t waste any of your time or energy getting annoyed.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

neilm
    Free Member

I had something similar on a set of SRAM Force cranks.

I was the only bidder, I won the cranks and paid for them, then ten minutes later I got a refund and a note from the seller saying he had sold the cranks to someone else just before the end of the auction.

I sent him a reply saying that he was telling porkies and that I was going to report him to ebay, which I did. They came back and said that he had breached their T&C’s and they suspended his account.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Whatever, who cares! Imagine if it was YOU unlucky enough to lose out on a grand of bike value. The poor buyer hasn’t lost out

convert

Was the deal ‘too good’ i.e. was £1350 a steal for the bike?

If so, whilst not quite right it’s not the end of the world. Personally I’d blame ebay who are already making 10% for asking for another 4% for a reserve price auction.

samunkim
    Free Member

Had similar on a Scott few years ago. Badly described with loads of typo’s in wrong group. Guessed what had happened and made them an cheeky direct offer at a more price more palatable to both off us. Suddenly they “found it” again and now its mine …

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can’t believe ebay allow this

legally it’s yours but good luck forcing someone to give you something they don’t want to.

convert

Has similar on a Scott few years ago. Badly described with loads of typo’s in wrong group. Guessed what had happened and made them an cheeky direct offer at a more price more palatable to both off us.

You wouldn’t trust anyone who used loads of typos! 😉

rickon
    Free Member

If the seller is pulling a fast one, just think of the nightmare had anything not been right with the bike after you got it. Youd have been screwed.

Best off not being involved.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I’d be a bit annoyed at that, but as said above, eBay’s fees are probably the culprit, happens quiet a lot, I’ve certainly had it on more than 1 occasion (although not with bikes) in fact I once won a whacker plate for £20 spoke to they guy who seemed a bit disappointed but ok, was driving from North Wales to Portsmouth and item was located in central London, so a pretty big diversion, arrived at house to be told “someone’s just stolen it” I was really not very happy. After all that I left bad feedback (all factual just starring what had happened) as it had been a huge inconvenience to me, 24hrs later he called eBay and complained about it and the feedback was removed!!!

As such I don’t ever leave feedback anymore as its a waste of time and I tend not to use eBay that much these days

samunkim
    Free Member

Convert

That was the point .. No one else did which kept the bidding really low.
    My pisstake/test the water bid ended up winning

onewheelgood

I was watching that. Saw in the questions that she was looking for 2300 and wondered what she was going to do. Now I know. If you aren’t prepared to take the risk then you shouldn’t use Ebay – or put a reserve on it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Whatever, who cares! Imagine if it was YOU unlucky enough to lose out on a grand of bike value. The poor buyer hasn’t lost out

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s how auctions work , sometimes you get more than you expect , sometimes less and if you don’t like it then either put a reserve on it or don’t sell through an auction . Seller wouldn’t have lost a grand , as is often stated on here something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it , in this case the sellers valuation of the bike was unrealistic . .

somouk
    Free Member

Common ebay tactic.

I’ve just sold an iMac with no postage and the eejit that won it wants it posting and is getting snotty with me as he’s the buyer and expects me to bend over backwards…

I hate ebay.

singletrackmind

Same thing hs happened to me. Won a windsurfing mast for maybe 1/2 what it should have gone for. paid etc , got refund and a note saying he shut it in his car boot and broke it.
    feedback left with choice swear filter avoiding words for him.

chay
    Free Member

Really surprised how easy it is for sellers to go back on the sale, with little or no consequences.

andyl
    Free Member

have to ask yourself do you really want to give £1300 to someone who is obviously dishonest anyway?

See it as a lucky escape.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘dodgy ebay seller – sale cancelled due to damaging the bike.’ is closed to new replies.