Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Doddy in MBUK Alps feature. "Nailing the trails"……let go of the tree!!!
  • rOcKeTdOg

Guy Kesteven, on the otherhand, is a perfect gentleman and, turns up to dig at Stainburn.

he’s also good a firing fireworks at rival mag people at MM

soobalias
    Free Member

-biased reviews
    -complete drivel
    -carp wanna be riders
    -dismal writing style
    -putting new riders off
    -up themselves.

now remind me are you talking about mbuk staffs, stw posters or just ‘mountain bikers’ in general, cos i cant tell.

epicyclo

That wooden track represents everything that’s wrong with “mountainbiking”.

godzilla
    Free Member

Guy Kesteven, on the otherhand, is a perfect gentleman

Second that, real nice chap, chatted to him and another MBUK’r at stainburn, he was an animal on that nicoli.

bassspine
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that Doddy looks like Boy George without the makeup Tim Brooke Taylor

FTFY

racing_ralph
    Free Member

TBH – MBUK is better than STW mag. I really do not want to sit down with a mag and read an article about some journos going on holiday to slovakia. At least with MBUK the articles are short and sharp, reviews a plenty, just don’t take it seriously!! BTW – good freebies with MBUK also!!

Only reason large number on here slate it is because its deemed to be cool to do so, in the same way that the “phat bike” bandwagon is and has been jumped upon by so many.

jenbe
    Free Member

also their free tyre levers were shit!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Doddy always seems to get a hard time and it’s just purely because he’s in mag each month making him high profile.

He’s a throughly nice bloke. Jenbe seems to have some issue with him but as almost everyone else whoose commented seems to have had a good experience when meeting him I think we can assume it might be a personality clash? You’d probably make me fairly grumpy if you wandered up and told me I was sh1t at my job too.

As for the photo – Doddy is a pretty amazing rider. Trust me, he ain’t looking for a way to bail out in that shot.

footflaps

Have to agree with RR – never read any of the ‘bike trip in some far off place’ article in STW, generally just read the reviews.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t know the fella, and I’m sure he’s a very good rider… when I met him he was clutching an old copy of MBUK with himself on the cover (at the Drop Off) personally I thought that a little sad, but maybe that’s just me…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

o if you saw a mag with you on you wouldn’t pick it up? what utter bollox

yunki
    Free Member

la la la lalalala lala la la la lala lalala la la la..

martinxyz
    Free Member

Doddy can ride a bike. End of. why does he always get questioned on stuff when out of all the mountain bike magazine journo folk.. theres not many out there that can do what he does on two wheels. Cant folk pick on someone else that is pretty lame on a bike? *Matt from STW not included as ive seen him ride at the aviemore euro ss champs and he too could show a lot of them a thing or two!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

r_r I’m not in a mag every month… I don’t work for a mag? Not really the same, is it?

martinxyz…

You’ve hit the nail on the head… Why do people pick on Doddy? What is it about him that engenders such disdain?

sc-xc

They all pale into insignificance when elbry slings his legs over the crossbar

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is it not about time for Mr Sandland to bask in the limelight again?

MrAgreeable

I would imagine that in that picture he is holding on to the tree to make things easier for the photographer, rather than because he’s just had an attack of the Koalas.

It seems that most MTB journos are annoyingly good riders, as can be expected when you spend a lot of time on a bike. I rode with some guys from MBR during Megavalanche week the other year and they were clearly quite handy. Even someone as unassuming as Chipps has a fair turn of speed when he’s trying.

rockhopper70

I only thought the photo looked funny. Can’t recall opening the can of worms 🙄

I don’t know the guy but from the mag articles he seems preoccupied with his image/clothing/trends. So when a photo looks less than flattering (and doesn’t show him getting rad with nar) it made me chuckle.

xiphon
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member
    They all pale into insignificance when elbry slings his legs over the crossbar

On the topic of gnar to the power of uber-rad…

http://elbry.blogspot.com/

Woody
    Free Member

I remember the issue when Doddy first started……..hasn’t he done well!

sharki
    Free Member

Is this still going?
    🙄

Glad i’ve been Id’ing Fungi and not wasting away my time grumbling about a magazine personality.

For a moment i thought i needed to get a life, now i know just how much sadder i could be.

As for the man himself, he must have something as his long term GF is extremely attractive as well as being a very nice lass.

anto164
    Free Member

Haha, I hate him because he gets to ride expensive bikes all over the world, when i’m stuck in wet n muddy blighty!

And the reason i don’t buy MBUK, is the pure amount of ads in there now. Same with Dirt.

Bought my first copy of STW today, so will have a read of that when i’m on the plane tomorrow.

smell_it
    Free Member

As a devoted STW’er, that photo is all wrong, a bike picture needs to show the bike in its natural enviroment. Does Doddy know nothing! he needs to get off that steed, get it showroom clean and get it photographed in his kitchen or propped up on his decking. Noooooooooooooob!

robdob
    Free Member

TBH – MBUK is better than STW mag. I really do not want to sit down with a mag and read an article about some journos going on holiday to slovakia. At least with MBUK the articles are short and sharp, reviews a plenty, just don’t take it seriously!! BTW – good freebies with MBUK also!!
    Only reason large number on here slate it is because its deemed to be cool to do so, in the same way that the “phat bike” bandwagon is and has been jumped upon by so many.

+50
    I don’t normally buy any of the mags but after recently getting a telling off on here for slagging STW and feeling a bit guilty for not buying it for years I thought I’d buy a couple of issues. Still dire GCSE pictures and design, same waffling stories about visiting chums and drinking whisky.
    I bought MBUK too. Well I read about all the different disciplines in MTB, saw a couple of articles that made me want to ride my bike, some reasonable product reviews and got a thick glossy professional magazine for my money.
    Guess which one I’ll buy next time.
    Well I’ve seen the MBUK lot ride too and they are pretty chuffin handy on a bike. Probably better than 99% of the XC “why do I need to get my wheels off the ground” cowardly mincing computer geeks that post on here. 😉

yoshimi

A friend of mine who has guided in France, Spain and Australia has ridden with Doddy a few times……

He’s pretty good and from the stories I’ve heard his riding will put 99% of the people on here to shame

Do people not like him because he doesn’t fit the STW profile of intellectual, arrogant, middle aged whingers?

Woody
    Free Member

STW profile of intellectual, arrogant, middle aged whingers

I suspect that only one of those three categories applies to the biggest whingers .

Highlighted, just for them 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well you can’t be talking about me so I’ll carry on…

Woody
    Free Member

LOL

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry but another vote for MBUK. if you can get over the silly ‘rad’ posturing there’s actually some decent content IMO.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Have you ever noticed that in the world of MBUK tress, and the horizon seem to bee at funny angles to make the riding seem a bit more hard core!

Like this? 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s just a magazine. Doddy is just a bloke. Why are people getting so excited?

If you don’t like something, I presume you don’t buy it, so why bother taking the time to whinge about it?

All the magazines (including MTB ones) have their target readers clearly defined, and judging by the stuff I read on this board (which to be fair, probably only represents less than 1% of STW’s readership, just the interwebbos) MBUK isn’t aimed at making you happy.

I buy most mags each month (spend too much time sat on planes with no wifi ;)) and I get something different out of all of them. I can’t say that there are many people who write for MTB magazines that would annoy me so much as to make me come on a website and publically have a moan about them. Some of my colleagues in my own office however, now that’s a different story 👿

MBUK – light reading, good for new kit, good for local scene info
    STW – some decent articles
    MBR – good trail guides and reviews
    Dirt – pretty pictures that make me want to ride

RealMan
    Free Member

Proper LOL at that picture gravity-slave, if you flip it up the right way he’s actually going slightly up hill lol.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Was in the cafe at the top of Nevis Range a few years back when the world cups were on, the MBUK lot were walking past me as I was carrying my food on a tray and one shoved the other one into me, twice, I put my tray on the nearest table to smack reprimand him and they scarpered, Doddy just looked embarassed to be honest.

The mag is pretty crap though. I think it’s aimed more at the younger end / DH market nowadays.

BFITH
    Free Member

W(who)TF is Doddy? Am I missing out on something…I haven’t bought MBUK for quite a while now but never heard of this Doddy character….I’m presuming its not this one?:

MrHappyJack
    Free Member

Back in the day when my work was of interest to the mtb press, I spoke to and met reps from pretty much all the mags and web-sites. They all seemed like reasonable people, just doing their jobs, often against pretty tight deadlines which could lead to any of them being a bit, er, scratchy if it was approaching press day.

Although I do get the feeling Doddy wouldn’t get so muck stick if he was called Pete, Steve or even Tarquin (for the STW’ers) rather than Doddy……. 😉

jenbe
    Free Member

gravity slave, you made me lol epicly 🙂

ianv
    Free Member

I actually like MBUK now (apart from the Rebholz articles), I always get the impression that the writers know what they are talking about and can ride. Slagging off someone like that just seems like extreme jealousy to me, the guy gets paid to ride bikes and seems to do that pretty well.

Maybe he has stopped so that the rider in front gets off the ladder before he starts down.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tim Brooke Taylor

Love it!

But stop picking on the poor guy, journalists have feelings too you know.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m going to apologise now, sorry Doddy, I don’t know you, If I did, I still wouldn’t be rude about you on a public forum.

I’m not even going to have one final wisecrack….

*bites tongue and walks away*

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Doddy in MBUK Alps feature. "Nailing the trails"……let go of the tree!!!’ is closed to new replies.