Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Doctors: What lives to my right of my stomach, under my ribs please?
  • Karinofnine

Because there's a dull ache there and it feels as if something's there, it gives shooting pains now and again, my tummy aches a bit and is tender if I poke it. Whatever it is has made my ribs hurt on the right side too. I had an ulcer ages ago and my GP gave my Ranitidine which cleared it up. This feels the same so I am taking R again, but what is the under-rib thing going on?

sturmey
    Free Member

Appendix

iDave
    Free Member

Probably nothing to worry about……

wavydave
    Free Member

im no doctor but i know your appendix is in that region. may be that. or wind!!!!

Karinofnine

Wind – yes, I am somehwat notorious for that … 😆

hora
    Free Member

Visit A&E this morning/asap whilst its quiet.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah def visit a medical expert.. just to get some reassurance..

don't take my word for this cos this is only a hypochondriac's advice… but yer liver is under there or there abouts and ulcer treatment can upset your liver..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

deffo liver area.

hora
    Free Member

Can't be the Liver.

boxelder

😯 medical advice from here 😯

You've started taking medication on a hunch?

Couldn't it just be a twinged/bruised muscle?

At least ring cuedoc (however it's spelt)

hora
    Free Member

Men should act sooner in general- dude, just get down to A&E- you can be there for 10pm and it'll still be quiet as the mental Sat night shift will have ended by now.

Go post 11am and you'll be queuing. You could wait until you get a Doc's appointment but what if its your Appendix and then it suddenly bursts?

Better to be a Hypochondriac than a chancer IMO. **** about wasting the health services time- you need to look after number 1.

TimS
    Free Member

Call NHS direct: 0845 46 47
    They'll give proper advice.

nuke

If its under ribs its not appendix as appendix is fairly low down. Appendix is on the right just above the groin area…well, that where my appendix scar is.

my tummy aches a bit and is tender if I poke it

Which area of your tummy is tender if you poke it?

+1 for phoning NHS Direct

higgo
    Free Member

A&E = Accident & Emergency.

Whatever this is, it's not an accident and it's not an emergency.

Houns

As above, appendix is down near the groin

hairyscary

hora – Member
    Men should act sooner in general- dude

I learned that lesson the hard way.

Similar symptoms to the OP which I ignored until the point where I was puking green stuff and curled up in a ball in agony. A ruptured appendix is not nice.

TimS – Member
    Call NHS direct: 0845 46 47
    They'll give proper advice.

hora
    Free Member

Whatever this is, it's not an accident and it's not an emergency.

His GP isn't open today.

He could wait, see how it develops or he could act now. If its my body I prefer to put me first. After all, in the future you can't buy your health for any price.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Go and get it checked out!

A quote from an A&E Doctor to me just a few weeks ago:

Well, we think it probably is your appendix, but we'd expect you to be in a lot more discomfort than you appear to be at the moment

Over the next eight hours on the obs ward I was fortunately able to confirm their suspicions… retrocaecal gangrenous appendix that was fit to burst 😯 – welcome to a world of pain, enjoy the morphine!

Karinofnine

Thanks, I'll give NHS Direct a ring.

(I'm a she by the way)

hora
    Free Member

You are female? Welll helllloooooo 8)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Its where your heart is. If you're a Vulcan.
    Have you ruled this out?

higgo
    Free Member

I'm a she by the way

Are you in labour?

johnners
    Free Member

hora – Member

Can't be the Liver.

Don't ever listen to anything hora says. He's practically guaranteed it's your liver.

Karinofnine

Are you in labour?

not unless immaculate conception really exists

No, not Vulcan

We are Borg

prettygreenparrot

try dissection number 1 or number 7. Anatomical dissection. The tutor talks you through all the bits.

Houns

Mmmmm now what to eat for breakfast??

hora
    Free Member

I don't know why but everytime I read the word 'liver' it makes me feel hungry. Pan-friend liver with onions anyone? Yum

coffeeking
    Free Member

Some people on here have seriously questionable basic anatomy knowledge – appendix under your ribs?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Gall bladder

Fair Fat Forty Female – do you tick more than one of these?

hora
    Free Member

So you are saying the OP has a Hamster trapped well up inside her colon?

ratadog

Answer to the purely anatomical question going roughly from front to back is liver, gall bladder, right kidney and right adrenal gland. You can also get discomfort there from muscular/bone damage and sometimes from base of right lung. Pancreas is more central and sits below stomach against back wall of abdomen. Gut curled up in all available space below and to the front.

+1 for if in doubt get it checked.

Karinofnine

Had my gall bladder out when I was 25 – completely out, gone.

Not fair, fifty four, not fat, yes female.

ryan_c

Sounds most likely to be a return of the ulcers or a new gall bladder problem if you go to a+e there will most likely be an out of hours doctors surgery running within or very near the same building.

Enjoy your wait 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

when I had appendicitis, it started as a "stitch" in my left ribs, then moved across to the right side, before I started puking & it went further down and became tender to the touch

I was 11 at the time, next morning my mum took me to the GP who diagnosed it correctly. one ambulance ride to local hospital (1976, single parent, no car in case anyone feels like complaining about using valuable ambulance resources) and 24 hours later & it was out

zaskar
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    Some people on here have seriously questionable basic anatomy knowledge – appendix under your ribs?

You think?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Your third Chakra Manipura is there karinofnine (solar plexus area). Associated with gut reactions, personal energy, life force.

Don't know a lot about it, quite interested in it, just a thought.

higgo
    Free Member

Your third Chakra Manipura is there karinofnine (solar plexus area). Associated with gut reactions, personal energy, life force.

Blink. And we're back in the middle ages.

hora
    Free Member

annabananna are you bisexual artist living in Hebden Bridge?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where the pain is and where the bit that is causing the pain is are not the same thing – you sometimes get referred pain that appears in different area.

It does not sound like either an accident or and emergency to me – depends how bad the pain is.

Woody
    Free Member

Some funny comments on here (maybe the OP's gall bladder has regenerated itself 😆 ) from people who are quite obviously NOT doctors.

If you call NHS Direct you will probably get an ambulance asap as they will make the jump from rib/abdo tenderness to chest pain which will require an 8 minute response.

I am not a doctor and I don't think one would even attempt a diagnosis on something this general without a full history, prod about and maybe further scans/tests.

I'd agree with TJ re A&E – it really depends how severe the pain is and how you feel + the fact you say it is the same as experienced before with ulcers.

Hopefully the ranitidine will ease the symptoms which may give your GP or other whoever you go to see a further clue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Doctors: What lives to my right of my stomach, under my ribs please?’ is closed to new replies.