Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Doctors – what is the heart drug that induces fear and dread?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

No idea why I am trying to remember it! I saw a programme where a guy with an irregular heart beat was given this drug to cure the problem, but the side effect was to induce incredible fear and dread, literally as the drug was introduced.

So what is it called?

garage-dweller

More to the point what are you up to / planning?

crikey
    Free Member

There are a couple of commonly used drugs in that situation, it is Adenosine?

…the joke being that it stops two hearts; the patients and the doctors……then they both start again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicko74

The OH asking when you’re going to have babies is a pretty good one…

scaredypants

not aware of any that really do that – vivid dreams/nightmares and occasional wappiness for some of them though

(Crikey, I imagine an adenosine stress test might be an “interesting” experience)

infidel
    Free Member

Procainamide side effects include fear of imminent death. Several others have anxiety/depression/mood disturbance listed too though that’s a fairly common set of side effects for many drugs.

DrP

It’s Adenosine.
    Causes complete AV node blockade, and given the patient the feeling of “impending doom”!!!

Good stuff, but only lasts a few seconds…

DrP

crikey
    Free Member

Good stuff, but only lasts a few seconds…

Don’t tell me you’ve never said “……..aaaaaand your back in the room” when giving it!

legolam
    Free Member

It’ll be adenosine. It blocks the electricity going through the AV node in the heart but only for a few seconds. Apparently it makes you feel awful, but it wears off quickly. If you’ve got the right diagnosis, it’s one of the most satisfying drugs to give as it cures the arrhythmia instantaneously.

project
    Free Member

Doctors – what is the heart drug that induces fear and dread

PICOLAX

legolam
    Free Member

Cross posted with DrP

Northwind

Are you going to a fancy dress party as the Scarecrow?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Doctors – what is the heart drug that induces fear and dread?’ is closed to new replies.