• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Doctors, medics, nutritionists – could you help with a bit of advice?
  • wl
    Free Member

My other half has developed biliary colic – ultrasound shows a bad case of gallstones giving her agonising pain in attacks that last an hour or two. She’s in her late 30s and we had a baby 4 months ago, so she’s breastfeeding. Can anyone recommend any safe foods/meals for her? Or pain relief? Or (a long shot, this) ideas for getting treatment faster without going private? She’s got to wait 5 weeks to have her gall bladder removed and in the meantime she’s terrified of more attacks (they come at night and leave her in so much pain she can’t feed our boy, who doesn’t take a bottle at all right now). She’s already on a super-strict fat-free diet to avoid the pain, but she’s feeling weak, exhausted and undernourished. She’s worried about her milk supply too. Turning to Singletrack out of desperation really. We’ve seen all the relevant health professionals (with varying success) but I’m just posting on the off-chance someone has any useful info not yet provided. Thanks v much. Any help much appreciated.

alexmynameis
    Free Member

First off I am not a doctor. I do work in healthcare.

Sounds like a low-fat diet is already implemented so don’t really have any further advice about that (not my area). Maybe some meal replacement shakes (aimed at old people) if she is worried about nutrition?
    In regards to pain relief it depends what she is already on. There is some evidence that suggests NSAIDs such as diclofenac are more effective than opiates at dealing with colic pain and have fewer unpleasant side effects.

If you’ve already seen GP etc. then I might just be a case of grinning (hah) and bearing it if going through NHS.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Maybe some meal replacement shakes (aimed at old people) if she is worried about nutrition?

They can quite often contain significant fat content, so might not work with a low fat diet.

teamslug
    Free Member

Not any kind of expert but my Mum (78yo) had her gallbladder out last sunday (3rd). Was totally floored by the pain to the point of delirium so your wife has my sympathies. One attack left her hospitalized for 5 days but after they had got to the bottom of the problem she managed it quite well til the op. Avoided fatty foods and anything likely to upset her, onions and the like. Was given codeine tablets but they made her sick so was also on an anti-sickness tablet. Not sure that would work tho with breast feeding. She found sitting rather than lying down helped. If its any consolation the op was done within 4 weeks and she was in and out in a day. Bit sore but she up and about again now and back to her old self.

mogrim

they come at night and leave her in so much pain she can’t feed our boy, who doesn’t take a bottle at all right now

I know “breast is best” and all that, but I’ve got two huge teenagers at home that grew up fine on bottle feeding. Might be worth trying so you can at least lend a hand? (On the feeding I mean, I’m not suggesting you’re not doing your part otherwise!)

wl
    Free Member

Thanks for these – really appreciate everyone’s input. On the breastfeeding – agree! We’re currently trying hard to wean the lad onto the bottle (he fed exclusively on the cup/bottle for his first 3 weeks owing to an undiagnosed tongue tie, but now he’s not interested). I’ll be looking after him while my OH is in hospital, so we really need to get him back on the bottle asap. I also want to be able to feed him while my OH can’t if she has more attacks. So far we’ve been lucky and he’s slept through each one – fluke more than anything. We go downstairs while the attacks happen, using the monitor to check on the boy. It would be nice to be able to feed him myself anyway, just generally, and it would mean a lot more freedom for his mum.

paton
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s something called Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid (TUDCA) that you should do a bit of reading up on as it could well help.

Cougar

I don’t have an answer, but I’d suggest seeking out a dietitian rather than a nutritionist. Dietitian is a protected term, my cat could be a nutritionist. (And I don’t have a cat.)

paton
    Free Member

Who writes the dietary guidelines?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgctEe5ANM[/video]

wl
    Free Member

Thanks again. Any more ideas very welcome.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Doctors, medics, nutritionists – could you help with a bit of advice?’ is closed to new replies.