Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Doctor's gate
  • opusone
    Free Member

Is doctor’s gate at glossop worth it? My girlfriend is driving us over to Manchester tomorrow and has suggested that if I really wanted to we could stick my bike on the back of the car, I’d get off at the top, then meet her in glossop, making a lazy downhill for me.

scaredypants

Is … a lazy downhill worth it?

😯

Garry_Lager

It’s not worth riding.
    It is worth ticking off.

Not sure, on balance.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I thought it was good, as did my missus.
    The other two we were with thought it was stupid and unridable and a waste of time.
    PS. we were right

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not sure I’d bother just for Doctor’s to be fair But if you can persuade her to pick you up at Ladybower then an excellent route awaits.

(though not in this weather)

scaredypants

hang on – what are you going to do with the bike when you get to manc ?

Harry the spider or one or his boyz’ll have that off the back in a second

richpips
    Free Member

I quite like it. It’s not all rideable though, and it’ll be very wet tomorrow.

mintimperial

Rode it a week or so ago. It’s currently approximately 1/3 ace, 1/3 **** mental and 1/3 bog. You start off down a fairly swampy channel that turns into a nice rocky chute to a gate. Past the gate it gets rockier until it turns into a seriously savage set of switchbacks, massive rocks all over the shop, no obvious lines, I was off and carrying the bike. Then there an awkward stream crossing, and a very techy traverse across a 45 degree landslip above a big drop into a gully, pretty nasty if it goes wrong and very easy to make a mistake. Then there a nice bit of rocky singletrack, some not-totally-insane-but-still-quite-stupid techy bits, more rocky singletrack, then a massive swampy rutty bog-fest down to a gate and across the river. There’s no bridge but you jump over on rocks to find one last nice bit of singletrack traversing the other side of the valley to a final gate, and then it’s landy track down to Glossop.

It’s not actually a bad bit of trail as such, but I’d leave it for a nice day after some dry weather, and don’t expect to ride the whole thing (if you do think you’re going to be able to ride it all please take a Go Pro and upload it so we can see how you did it/have a good laugh). 😉

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Haven’t done it for several years but I sort of agree it’s OK to do once to tick it off but there are better rides in the area – more of a hikeabike for someone of my skill level

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Cracking write up mintimperial!

I remember watching a youtube video which shows Docs Gate off quite, well, although the guy comes off every few minutes, and breaks his thumb

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Q9_h0DYLM[/video]

mcnultycop

I got bored after the thumb break.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Doctor's gate’ is closed to new replies.