Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Doctorists – Hernia Advice
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Think I might have a hernia…. making an appointment with my GP to get it checked out but could be doing with a bit of advice before I frighten the bejeebus out of my self by obsessively googling .

Noticed a firm pea sized lump on my abdomen (lower left hand side) when in the shower a few weeks back. Sometimes it’s there. Sometimes it’s not. Occasionally gives mild discomfort.

Googling suggests ( based on it’s position ) that it could be a Spigelian Hernia.

Will I die?
    Is there any thing I should be doing (ie writing a will)…or not ( booking a holiday).

allthegear
    Free Member

Pretty easy to remedy this – just give it a squeeze on the sides and whip it off with a (clean) pair of scissors. Bit of dressing over the top of a few days and good as new…

Maybe 😉

Dr Rachel

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thanks Doc! I’m ready to go. Should I use Thousand Island or French?

maccruiskeen

You’re doing the right thing by getting it looked at. Hernias usually aren’t generally anything other than an inconvenience to get fixed – I probably had mine for well over a decade before it occurred to me that it might be a hernia. Some types are at risk of ‘strangulating’ which is dangerous but I think that would be a more advanced / larger hernia than what you’re talking about. Some have longer recovery times if you have surgery (or some surgeon surgery methods can have longer recovery times than others)

No need to cancel you’re holiday plans I’d say (unless you’re thinking about how you’ll look in your bikini)

You should probably write a will regardless (you’d be leaving all your bikes to me, obviously)

{edit} I’m not a doctor but I’ve read a few books and I’ve got a few ideas of my own I’d like to try out

benjamins11
    Free Member

Certainly the history your describing sounds like a hernia of some description – it might pop out when you cough?
    Nothing to panic about – provided that you can pop it back in easily – go and see your GP and get an appointment to see a surgeon.

If at any point it wont go back in at all – then thats an emergency and needs to be seen pronto – an irreducible hernia is a surgical emergency – because it can cause the bowel to go necrotic and perforate or obstruct – both of which make you very sick.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Some types are at risk of ‘strangulating’ which is dangerous but I think that would be a more advanced / larger hernia than what you’re talking about

Spigellian hernias can certainly obstruct – it doesnt have to be large ones.

maccruiskeen

^Don’t listen to the doctors, listen to us, we’re your friends^

craigxxl
    Free Member

Small hernia’s are more risky than the larger ones.
    Mine was an incisional hernia the size of football after surgery. I was told I wasn’t at risk but if it had been small I would have been at the top of the waiting list.
    A quick chat with the surgery administrator and threat to sue over the various cockups in my routine key hole surgery that lead to me being cut from chest to groin and my hernia was mesh repaired within the week.

willard

On the plus side, they will maybe repair it with kevlar, which means your body* will now be bullet resistant**!

*Parts of it anyway

** For a given, really rubbish bullet

benjamins11
    Free Member

Small hernia’s are more risky than the larger ones.

Thats true, because the opening they get through is small hence its more likely to pinch them and prevent them reducing. Big ones don’t normally do that – because the opening is so big – big ones can still commonly cause bowel obstruction though.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just had double inguinal hernia surgery, only one side needed doing, but persuaded the surgeon to do both. Carried on hitting the gym hard up to the day before surgery, now clawing my way back to full fitness.

maccruiskeen

On the plus side, they will maybe repair it with kevlar, which means your body* will now be bullet resistant**!

By belly button is now partially titanium

perchypanther
    Free Member

My belly button is now partially titanium

If you unscrew it does your arse fall off?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Doctorists – Hernia Advice’ is closed to new replies.