• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Doctor or shingles expert to the forum please – is this shingles?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Mrs. S experienced an acute bout of trigeminal neuralgia on Saturday morning.

Last night, this appeared to the right of her T spine with a burning sensation at the site and down her neck.

The “lesion” seems to have darkened this evening and now looks like this:

Simple question – is this a presentation of the prequel to a shingles episode?

Many thanks if you can advise.

Also – I haven’t had chickenpox before. Am I at risk of contracting this? I’m 48 and know it can be unpleasant / dangerous at middle age.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Aliens.

Is she an alien ?

jonnyboi

Serious request, Please use GP out of hours if you’re worried about someone rather than an Internet forum

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t know if it is shingles, but if it is, you can catch chicken pox if you touch the lesions.
    Shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus in someone who has had chicken pox previously.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, actually that’s what I’d do (call NHS hotline thingy)

You simply don’t know what it is and me taking the piss isn’t helping.

Soz.

scotroutes

Doesn’t look like shingles to me, but then it could have different appearances. It could also be A.N.Other virus. I’d get her to to cover it up with a soft pad and then present herself to the GP.

If she can’t reach the area and you have to do it, wear latex gloves.

chewkw
    Free Member

Google “Shingles hives” then compare …

Mine used to hurt all over (started at waist side) as they were on the main nerves but does not burn.

Try to remember the first spot that appear on the T-spine , the middle and final the last spot … I will only suggest this if nothing works.

In the meantime consult the doctor.

evh22
    Free Member

This is not advice, you can read the NICE guidelines here:

https://cks.nice.org.uk/shingles#!scenario:1

This should answer some of your questions. The NICE guidelines advice early treatment for those with the condition, and in doing so, you can ask the doctor about passing it on to other people.

poolman
    Free Member

Mine was more red and blotchy but it was the shape of the area that my doc knew it was shingles. Started one side of spine and spread round my back, not crossing the spine, in fact went round my side too. Itched like crazy, i bathed in the sea to reduce itching.

imnotverygood

You can catch chickenpox via shingles if you haven’t had it before, but shingles is not particularly contagious. I’m pretty sure you would have to come into physical contact with a weeping rash. If she covers up the rash you should be ok.*
    To me that looks as if it could be shingles. It is rather reminisecnt of the rash I had when I contracted it

* I am not a doctor. I would recommend going to see one

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Having had shingles it doesn’t look like shingles, as they are usually very red like bigger chickenpox and extremely painful.
    However I’d still visit gp for as it does look like a rash of some sort. Maybe a referral to dermatology is in order.

seadog101

After getting chicken pox as an adult the doc’ warned me about shingles and the likely symptoms. It doesn’t, to me, seem like Mrs Starship has shingles, but it don’t sound nice does it.

However, Doctors’ advice was as soon as you think you might be getting a shingles like rash, get to the surgery as soon as possible. Early treatment with the right anti-virals is crucial.

I did get Shingles about 2-3 years ago, very sore to touch burning rash, spreading from the spine across one side of the ribs. Did what the Doctor said, and no recurrence since.

Drac

Looks likes a macule rash which is what can appear in the first break out, the history suggests shingles. Pop her to a GP for a look.

PS You’ve just shown the world your wife has a hairy back.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Im no gp, but it looks like shingles to me, imho .

Go see the gp, they will send you home and tell you to take paracetamol per instructions on box,
    I got it and it wasn’t contagious the doctor told me.

Ps. It only happens on one side of your body either left or right, pretty harmless unless it goes to your face and around the eyes, that mild electric shock every so often is damn annoying

derek_starship
    Free Member

She’s in with GP at 11:00.

I’ll let you know what happens.

Drac – you’ve just realised her worst nightmare!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t look like the shingles I had.

Houns

Tsk

Bad form STW. It’s obviously cat AIDS, the bad kind, she’s already growing fur (sorry, cheap joke, she naturally has fine hair on skin the same as every other person)

atlaz
    Free Member

trigeminal neuralgia

That on its own is awful enough. I get occasional bouts of it (maybe 1 or 2 a year) and it’s hard to describe to people what it’s like other than, for me, it’s how I’d imagine being stabbed repeatedly in the face with a not that sharp icepick would be. I often get it when I’m really run down so perhaps the onset of the chicken pox virus has triggered the attack too?

deadkenny
    Free Member

All I know is don’t bother with Shakin Stevens as he ain’t got time to fix them.

dday

Hard to tell from a single area, one clear and defining symptom is that shingles will never cross the center line of the body (spine), so if its on both sides – then its unlikely.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The diagnosis is in.

It’s shingles. 800mg of acyclovir for a week.

I said to Mrs. S – life’s a beach.

I said – don’t mess with the rash cos once you pop you just can’t stop.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well there you go …… we know **** all! It’s a crappy thing to have AFAIR, hope she gets well soon.

*sends healing vibes

chewkw
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

The diagnosis is in.

It’s shingles. 800mg of acyclovir for a week.

I said to Mrs. S – life’s a beach.

I said – don’t mess with the rash cos once you pop you just can’t stop.

So those are shingles … mine are those “bubble” hive type.

Mine hurt like hell and I used the traditional way of eradicating them by “burning” (incense burning put very close to skin) the shingles starting point, the mid point and the final point. Then no touching and drinking water for an hour, then after three days they started to dry (healing).

Drac

Don’t look like the shingles I had.

Looks like many 100s I’ve diagnosed.

She’ll be fine Derek but it’s painful.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Doctor or shingles expert to the forum please – is this shingles?’ is closed to new replies.