Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Docs and nurses – Knee injury advice. Warning – Medical photo content
  • ph0010421
    Free Member

Hello all
    I daresay this forum has seen its fair share of knee injuries, hence asking for advice here.
    Fell off on Sunday at high speed onto horrible stones/rock/gravel.
    It lifted a good flap, about 8mm thick, revealing something white (guessing not the bone, but not bloody far off)
    Had it re-dressed yesterday, but following some weeping today, I undressed it myself. The pale bit is like the consistency of jelly, it's sticky, it fookin hurts. Would I be better letting some air to this to dry up?
    Thanks
    There's 6 stitches somewhere in there, too.

And some impressive swelling, I think you'll agree.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Some bits granulating quite nicely, but unless you are going to wear shorts and sleep with no sheets/duvet you are going to stick to things.

If it were mine I'd give it fresh air when I can and a decent non-adherent dressing when under trousers in the next few days.

GWick
    Free Member

Neither a doctor or a nurse but had a similar fall about a month ago.

Just looks a deep scab forming to me. Mine throbbed and got itchy as hell which got me worried it was infected but turned out fine. I put a bit of antiseptic cream on once a day and let it dry out for the rest of the day.

Kept weeping pale yellow fluid when I moved my knee as the scab would crack.

Drac

Pop along to minor injuries they'll sort that out for you.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

it looks like it wants to dry out but might be a bit impractical because I expect it'll catch on your trousers and if you have a shower or whatever it might not help it dry either 😛

ph0010421
    Free Member

Thanks fellas,
    I'm thinking the same as you – let it breathe for as long as poss, and dress it before bed/trousers etc.
    Re: the yellow fluid, throbbing and itching – yeah, mine does that, too.

I'll soldier on… 🙄

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That's gonna form a nice scab

They'll be some good picking for you!

Drac

If you go the MIU like I said they can put a proper dressing on for you.

Or you can let it heal slowly with the possibility of infection, your choice.

domino

Do what Drac says! I had a similar looking elbow and now regret not getting it dressed properly. I left it to heal and a nice scab formed but it kept rubbing on my clothing and I picked it. I have a red and most likely permanent scar now.

dr_death
    Free Member

Hmm, looks to be healing quite nicely TBH. I would let it dry out a little but it'll need some decent non-adherent dressings for nighttime/wearing long trousers. As Drac says (correctly as per) get yourself to either minor injuries or the A&E you got it stitched at and ask them nicely for a few dressings so you can cover it as necessary.

When it dries to have a big scab on it it will crack every time you bend your knee; this will be sore and make it bleed. Avoid this by rubbing some Vaseline on it, this will soften the scab and allow it to bend a little….

When are the stitches coming out? should be at 10-14 days given its position…

mattythemod
    Free Member

Be careful not to get it infected ….i took a bang to the knee in a recent crash and got a serious infection ,fink they call it pre patella bhursis and required a hospital stay and surgery where they cut out a fair sized chunk of soft tissue on my knee , you need some of those abosorbant dressings like " Allevyn gentle border " Get well soon .

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Looks like cheese on toast.

Looking at the advice, can't really add anymore other than stop worrying and make sure it doesn't smell.

Ask loads of questions at drop in centre etc so no more worrying.

Hope you get better.

catnash
    Free Member

Bit sloughy, but heading in the right direction, a couple of days worth of inadine dressings and then NA Ultra dressings should do you fine.
    Sutures should be removed at 7-10 days. What you dont want is over granulating over the sutures.
    Shame you didnt shave your legs, pulling dressings off over hair is painful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't dry it out – it will scab and scar. Paraffin gauze dressing or inadine would be mine covered in a non adherent. Or a hydrocolloid / film. Get it dressed professionally – it will make a significant difference. If you have nothing to put on it now wrap that bit of your leg in clingfilm overnight and get a proper dressing on it tomorrow.

a wound needs to be kept moist and warm to heal best. This ( simplisticly) allows the white blood cells to work on both sides of the wound – dry it and let it scab they can only work from underneath

That wound will produce a fair amount of exudate which will collect under wound dressings but cling film it overnight and a dressing to keep it moist tomorrow – granufalx or tegaderm are two brand names – go to a decent pharmacy –

Pauly

CUT YOUR LEG OFF NOW!

Seriously, looks like you have Necrotizing Fasciitis!

Woody
    Free Member

Good example of why roadies shave their legs – much less pain/hair pulling when the dressing gets changed !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Docs and nurses – Knee injury advice. Warning – Medical photo content’ is closed to new replies.