Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Doc Martin
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Probably outside the interest of most on here, but does anybody else watch this?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never missed an episode…. why do you ask?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you after pictures of Caroline Catz?

Drac

Never seen an episode…. why do you ask?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Never missed an episode…. why do you ask?

I have been struck by the way the current series is beginning to play with the Doc’s character. He appears to be undergoing some sort of emotional renaissance, little bit by little bit.

The programme is getting some depth to it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

undergoing some sort of emotional renaissance, little bit by little bit.

I’ve said for a while there needs to be a change in his character, they need to move HIM on a bit….

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Just started watching it, I avoided it when it was on a Sunday as most things in that time slot on a Sunday are bilge.

However it’s not actually that bad.

althepal

I agree.. But fatherhood appears to be changing the Docs facial expressions episode by episode..
    Nice to be getting a bit of backstory explaining why he’s so sociable..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The final scene from this week’s programme was impressive on a lot of levels. The two actors were at the top of their game and the backstory to the conversation about the baby’s name and the correct way to hold it was vast, but said with an absolute minimum of words. I was hugely impressed and look forward to the rest of the series with a great deal of metaphorical mouth-watering.

I just hope they don’t blow it…

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone else noticing a certain amount of sexual tension between Al and Aunt Ruth?

I bet that they shag on the kitchen table before the series is out.

derek_starship
    Free Member

HtS – I thought that while they were playing chess. There were sparks there for sure. She wanted to bash his bishop.

Maybe Aunt Ruth will take after her sister. I’ll never forget that scene where Aunt Joan was being back scuttled by the handyman.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for Al + Aunt ruth.

For the first time, you have a bit of the doc’s past which explains quite a bit about his demeanor.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You can’t pick your parents…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve watched this from the outset, loved the program from the beginning, settling down with a bottle of wine and a chinese just fits so well.
    Thought the Lexus a good choice of car for him..

I kinda had a thing for his ex (the Doc back in London) you know, the tall(ish) snooty one..

herumph.

KonaTC

Not a fan of Martin Clunes but love Doc Martin, its so well written and funny on several levels

terrahawk
    Free Member

Yep, brilliant programme.

orena45

The accents are terrible though 🙄

Woody
    Free Member

Love it. Keeping up the great British tradition of ‘feelgood tv’ with totally over the top characters and storylines which are entirely predictable but nontheless heartwarming. It’s like a visual comfort blanket.

Most importantly, if The Doc can pull Ms Catz there is hope for all of us. 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

Did you notice that the fainting fisherman (Paul) was played by John Duttine? He’s put some timber on hasn’t he?

Rich_s

For the first time, you have a bit of the doc’s past which explains quite a bit about his demeanor.

Not really the first time – couple of series back we were introduced to his mother and father… She was a right old cow!

tonyd

Yep, we’ve been watching it since the first series. Makes me chuckle all the way through and I think Martin Clunes is perfect for the role, which is surprising considering his previous TV roles.

Al and Aunt Ruth – definitely something afoot!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I see Aunt Ruth has had a rather smart haircuit. She’s gonna nail young Al’ for sure.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep.

Shock and Awe. 😯

He’ll be be finding chess pieces in his undies for weeks.

DezB
    Free Member

Probably outside the interest of most on here, but does anybody else watch this?

Looks like a ‘yes’ then. So probably pointless for me to say I can’t stand it. But thats what we do here on STW innit… so, I can’t stand it. There.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like it lots. It would have failed miserably with anyone but Clunes playing Doc Martin though.

BTW – it is based on an original film (with the strangely attractive Brenda Blethyn playing the lead role) that is also worth watching. Saving Grace

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve seen that. Can’t say I see the connection…

Woody
    Free Member

Didn’t think much of this weeks episode. That policeman is, well, there’s OTT and just bloody ridiculous 😐

derek_starship
    Free Member

They really could have ballsed up DM with a terrible lead role choice.

Imagine him played by Neil Morrisey or Craig Cash!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve seen that. Can’t say I see the connection…

Apart from Martin Clunes playing Dr Martin Bamford, who became Dr Martin Ellingham?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A-ha. Yes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Here we go…

Original character

Martin Clunes originally played a character called “Dr Martin Bamford” in the 2000 film Saving Grace and its two made-for-TV prequels, Doc Martin and Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie, which were made by British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB). The prequels show Bamford, a successful obstetrician rather than surgeon, finding out that his wife has been carrying on extramarital affairs behind his back. After confronting her with the news, he escapes London and heads for Cornwall, which he remembers fondly from his youth. Shortly after he arrives, he is involved in the mystery of the “Jellymaker” and, following the departure of the village’s resident GP, decides to stay in Port Isaac and fill the gap. In these three films the village is not known as Portwenn.
    The original deal was to produce two such television films per year for three years, but Sky Pictures folded after the first two episodes were made, so Clunes’ company tried to sell the franchise to ITV. ITV felt the Martin Bamford character should be portrayed as a “townie”, out of his depth and uncomfortable in the country. They also wanted something edgier, so Clunes suggested the doctor be very grumpy and socially inept. The new doctor’s surname was to be Ellingham, an anagram of the last name of the new writer, Dominic Minghella, who was brought in to rework the doctor’s background and create a new cast of supporting characters

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Doc Martin’ is closed to new replies.