Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Do your forks suck?
  • barca
    Free Member

Reba to be precise.
    700 miles of use from new and I noticed they were making sucking noises when compressed yesterday. I've not noticed them doing this before and I could really do without the worry as I'm going for a long ride tomorrow. I have no other bike suitable for the excursion so it they're poorly, my trip is off.
    They feel the same in use…..or did they feel stiffer with less travel yesterday……or was that my paranoia?

jonb
    Free Member

I find most forks squelch. My MX comps sloshed and squelched. My Revelations squelch a bit, more if they've been left idle for a time. My Fox Talas RLs just sit in my lounge looking nice.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

No reason not to use them. Ride, see what they feel like, and if you're not happy, change the oil. After 700 miles from new the oil could probably do with a change, as all the gunk from wearing in will be slopping about inside 'em.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    barca
    Free Member

For reasons that seemed very important at the time, I used a jet wash to clean the bike on the way home from yesterdays ride. I'm now deeply regretting that bright idea.
    If the fork needs urgent assistance, I can end up in quite a predicament. I'm off to South Wales for a few days (or longer) and plan to be as far away from uninvited people on to my planet as possible.
    Unless somebody knows that jet washed water (yep, I think I maybe did get a little too close to the bike with the wand than I should have – if at all. I was in a rush) will have made its way past the seals and is now causing sucking noises and imminent fork death, I'm going to go for my ride buoyed on by the kind words of jonb and TroutWrestler (thanks guys).

tiss
    Free Member

Ti rigids here……….No Problems.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My (really pretty new) Pikes make some disconcerting squelching sounds occasionally.

Besides, "fork death" is going to leave you with a perfectly rideable bike, just with dire suspension. It'll be like 1995 all over again. 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

My pikes make sucking noises as they 'decompress'.

Only really noticed it after they'd come back from TFT though…

mwleeds

Obviously I have no idea if your forks are full of water but…

Earlier this year I had a set of revs and some fox 36 talas forks serviced. Both had lots of water (maybe 1/2 pint in the fox's although I can't quite remember)in the lowers, making both forks feel very stiff and generally horrible. I never (well almost never) wash my bikes with a jet wash and generally use a dirtworker. But the advice I was given was to always wash a bike upside down. Having said that the revs had done a couple of hard winters and fox's are known for having lose seals so perhaps it's just always wash bikes with fox forks upside down.

I wouldn't have thought (based on my very limited experience) that water would do anything worse than add a little unwanted compression damping. Go out for a ride and get them serviced when you get back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Do your forks suck?’ is closed to new replies.