• This topic has 100 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Do you- would you wear a hi-viz when on the road,when riding a bike
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if our local police want us cyclists to wear Hi viz when riding on the road,so we can be seen by motorists with very poor eyesight and that some cyclists are wearing black shirts , so thats the sky shirt in the recycling then.

Whats the collectives opinion then

wwaswas

I started wearing a hi-viz gore windstopper thing for a bit when I was on the trailer bike school run with my daughter.

She said it was embrassing though, so I stopped.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I do in the depths of Winter as I’m commuting every day but don’t bother for the rest of the year.

binners

Pah! I spent a fortune on my black catsuit cos they said it’d make me all aerodynamic and stuff. And do you know how difficult to get SPD platform heels? Its not on! 🙁

sefton
    Free Member

stay safe dude – there are LOADS of real idiots out there behind the wheel

brights & LIGHTS 😉

You’ll look a cock in Lycra no matter the colour 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t wear one. Not out of any objections, just can be bothered to buy one. Might pick up a bib/sash or something in a month or 2.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Myself – no. I do have relective tape all over the bike tho

Its an interesting point. Do you wear a helmet? A hi viz is probably more effective in reducing injury by reducing the number of bikes that get driven into. Edinburgh council insist you wear hi viz but leave helmets to choice if cycling on council business.

neninja
    Free Member

In winter I carry a hi-viz running tabard in my backpack to throw on if I get caught in fading light or have to ride a particularly dodgy road. Rarely use it but it weighs almost nothing so worth having.

rootes1

I wear an orange Ground Effect Jersey when out on my road bike, often put the rear light on as well if it si dark or sun is an odd position

wwaswas

Do you wear a helmet?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, please not the helmet debate again.

Stoner
    Free Member

I do in winter for the short road stretch back from the pub to the common in the dark.

I also have a bright fluoro montaine velo for the london commute in the evenings.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I wear hi-viz on the road if its dull. Or bright. Not always when its properly dark though.

Reflective tape only works if cars have lights on, which they don’t always at dawn/dusk, which is when hi-viz really comes into its own.

Actually quite interesting to see just how bright it is on a bright sunny day too. Driving over Hartside Pass, which I do quite regularly, you see a huge variety of C2Cers with various stages of visibility. Doesn’t hurt (literally) to stand out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said FFS TJ let it go.
    I dont but i do have reflective tape on the cranks and on the rims

binners

I’ve got some hi viz stuff. Never ever worn it. I’m afraid I agree with Stuart Maconi’s comment on the subject.

“If you want to become invisible on any English street, simply put on a Hi-Viz Tabbard”

I did shove my lights on this morning though. It was light but a bit hazy

Uncle Jezzer. Don’t make me come up there! Let that be the last helmet comment please? 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Its an interesting point. Do you wear a helmet?

And in a sudden and swift turn of events, we’ve moved across from the hi-viz debate to the helmet debate.
    I would say that it probably doesn’t matter, on a 45 mile road ride yesterday and wearing a fluorescent jacket I had to suffer numerous close calls. If they want you, they’ll get you. It would be feasible to say that due to the jacket I only had 5 close calls from people intent on causing problems and not 10-15 close calls had I not been wearing the fluorescent jacket.
    Difficult to say if there is an advantage or not, for me it strengthens my argument of being seen.
    EDIT: Nice bit of kit Binners. 😉

Kryton57

I wear an Altura night vision “yellow” short sleeve, always.

Better to look slightly silly than be dead IMO.

peterwp
    Free Member

I always ride with flashing LEDS front and back on the road. Even in the middle of summer. It is then car drivers have sunglasses on, making it more difficult to see you in the shade if you are dressed in Ninja black. Also most drivers seem to give you more room if you have flashing lights.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tried it years ago and found it really really sweaty. I’m sure it’s better now but I still don’t. However, my panniers are hi viz yellow and the black bike is covered in respro reflective tape and the cateye holy hang grenade is flashing day and night.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

High viz for commuting. Have just bought a new waterproof for road riding which is fairly bright – compared to my old black and grey one. My winter road top is bright turquoise!

uplink
    Free Member

Depends really …….

Commuting times I usually do as there’s more traffic and they seem a bit more aggressive
    I have a couple of hi-viz jerseys and a Gore jacket so no hardship really

bright sunny Sunday afternoon, probably not

project
    Free Member

I always wear a helmet, have hit a few low branches on the bike and it does save your head, also fell off and hit the dam wall at llandegla, while leaning against it and turned round to answer a question, forgot i was clipped in and fell sideways, nasty dent in helmet, but luckily i was ok.

A few years ago, a van pulled right out in front of me, i shouted the usual abuse, the driver stopped, a huge bloke, he said sorry and handed me a brand new hi viz vest, now i carry one at all times.

rootes1

Do you wear a helmet?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, please not the helmet debate again.

you look more ‘pro’ with a helmet now the pro’s have to wear one

boxfish
    Free Member

I wear a hi-viz gilet over whatever else I’ve got on. Also got reflective tape stuck to my helmet…

crazy-legs

Flashing lights for me as well, I use them almost all the time and cars definitely seem to give a wider berth.

I’ve got a dangly hi viz thing on my rucksack as well but obviously only use that when I’m commuting. The commuter bike has reflective tape on the wheels too which really stands out when caught in car headlights.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry – Not intending to redo the helmet debate – merely giving it at a comparison.

I think hi viz works to some extent but I cannot be bothered with an extra thing to put on. I might buy a hi viz jacket to wear for the winter commute now I am going right thru the town centre at busy times.

Reflective stuff and good lights I have

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

project

A few years ago, a van pulled right out in front of me, i shouted the usual abuse, the driver stopped, a huge bloke, he said sorry and handed me a brand new hi viz vest, now i carry one at all times.

🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Yes, for this time of year I done one of the Endura hi-vis jackets. Fully waterproof, breathable – ideal for the winter commute. For summer, I don’t wear one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision jacket here in ‘how the **** didn’t you see me wearing this?’ Flouro yellow.

Pedestrians are the worst for not looking in London, closely followed by Addison Lee cars, Post Office vans, London Buses, White Vans, taxis and Boris Bike riders

binners

The only time I’ve been knocked off was in broad daylight. I was wearing a bright orange top, sporting a bright orange helmet and riding a bright orange bike.

The tediously inevitable “I’m sorry! I didn’t see you!” followed. Pretty much all my riding gear is black nowadays. I do tend to believe in being lit up like a christmas tree though. I’ve normally 3 lights at the back and two at the front

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I tend to, but then my road riding is pretty much limited to commuting.

Don’t get me started on Addison Lee cars… 👿

julioflo
    Free Member

Most days for commuting, unless it’s sunny, then my High vis jacket is just too hot.
    Feel safer with it on, especially as the road I commute on is quite busy and a bit tight in places.

simon_g

I keep a lightweight orange hi-viz vest in my Brompton bag from autumn to spring for dusk/dark conditions as I tend to ride in my “normal” clothes. As I usually wear dark colours, it gives some chance of being seen.

Have noticed a lot of people in London using them as a substitute for lights, which is idiotic.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Each to their own, but if you cycle on the roads when its dark and you dont wear a hi viz vest or similar IMO your a bell end. If you dont wear a helmet at all, again your a bell end.

rewski
    Free Member

Yes, vest over jacket in colder months and one of the karrimor hi viz tops in warmer months.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Reflective stuff and good lights I have

I do think reflective stuff is great, but obviously needs light to hit it to work.

I do believe that a bit of hi-vis is great for making people aware of you on their periphery – a flash of yellow or orange to make them double check – especially at dusk or in overcast conditions when not everyone is running lights.

Kryton57

kingkongsfinger – Member
    Each to their own, but if you cycle on the roads when its dark and you dont wear a hi viz vest or similar IMO your a bell end. If you dont wear a helmet at all, again your a bell end.

What he said. (Although becuase I’ve recieved a warning from the mods this week already, I’d like to state formerly thats the words “bell end” were his and not mine, I am just agreeing to the general sentiment)

😛

foxyrider
    Free Member

Commuting at rush hour esp in dusky or dark defo!!!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on Addison Lee cars

It’s quite amazing how much a Galaxy rear door window will flex without breaking when you punch it. I wonder how I know that… 😈

hora
    Free Member

Motorists aren’t required to take regularly eye tests by law are they.

Be seen.

rOcKeTdOg

Only in winter, got a hi viz gilet from the market for £5 surprisingly good windstopper too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Do you- would you wear a hi-viz when on the road,when riding a bike’ is closed to new replies.