Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Do you work in F1/Motorsport?
  • Timn
    Free Member

motorsport is a very competitive business and F1 is at the top of the list so unsurprisingly you end up with a lot of very competitive people running it, those people are very motivated and that is how they managed to get to those positions.
    To stay at the top you need to work life balance that is pretty close to obsessive and would not be considered normal by most people this is where the problems start, as people mature their focus change from girls to cars then bikes and maybe fishing who knows but over time it changes if you have started a very demanding job it can then become a pain where it used to be the best thing ever.
    I have worked in most forms of motosport over the last 30 years and struggle to go home at night sometimes as I get so wrapped up in my job, I dont believe many people are that lucky to be able to find that much motivation from work but then everyone is different.
    As others have mentioned drop a line to the HR departments its all about having an open mind and being motivated and committed, it does not suit everyone but what does.

There seems to be a consensus that if you work in F1 as an engineer your some kind of god.I work in F1 have done for many years and there are some right numptys in it that seem to think they made it somehow, unless you are in a position where you make decisions your pretty much still a nobody .Its very similar to the hype in the so called bike business world the press love the F1 tie in especially in the time trial world. I know two people who were designing bicycles a long time before certain journalists turned godlike bike designers, even then a lot of what I do read is marketing hyperbole and very little design . I would seek an alternate career you enjoy Le mans cars and rally cars are more exciting for instance and tend to be proper engineering

wheelz
    Free Member

I’ve worked in two-wheeled motorsport for the past 13 years, but on the PR and Marketing side. Got into it by accident really, but what people have already mentioned about the long hours and time away from home applies just as much to the non-engineering side of the job.

I did ten years with a factory World Superbike/MotoGP Team (Kawasaki) and I was away from home for around 240 days a year. I spent so much time in Malaysia over the winter while we were testing each year, I probably qualify for dual citizenship.

I’m now freelance, working for teams that this year are racing on two wheels in Moto2 and the Endurance World Championship and on four wheels in the FIA GT1 World Championship, Blancpain Endurance Series (I’ve just survived my first 24-Hours of Spa), and Le Mans.

I’m 43 now, with two kids, but I wouldn’t swap jobs for the world!

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Do you work in F1/Motorsport?’ is closed to new replies.